Philosophy Books Club discussion

Bertrand Russell Reading Forum > Reading Assignment 1

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (glaucus) | 75 comments Mod
I will set up a discussion thread for each week to correspond with each reading assignment.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 19 comments Mod
This discussion is about:
Book One: Ancient Philosophy: Chapter I-IV, Pages 1-47
Begin Reading November 30

message 3: by Mike (new)

Hey glad you posted. I have started to read and I hope to get it done by Sunday. I will be traveling much next week. But, I will be taking the book with me. I have read the first Chapter and I like how he lays out how the Greeks were influenced by many different cultures. This is ground breaking at the time he wrote the book. However, it is fairly standard for how I would begin a History class.

message 4: by Rose (new)

I must confess... I just finished this first reading! I am very late but I will catch up with you guys.

A little curiosity about one quote:

"The goat was the symbol of fertility, because the peasants were too poor to possess bulls. When food was scarce, the statue of Pan was beaten. (Similar things are still done in remote Chinese villages.)"

In Brazil women put a mini sculpture of Saint Anthony inside the water or inside the fridge in order for him to find a husband for them... Is that similar to this quote, somehow?

message 5: by Rose (last edited Dec 21, 2015 05:26PM) (new)

Another quote I liked a lot was:

Geometry deals with exact circles, but no sensible object is exactly circular; however carefully we may use our compasses, there will be some imperfections and irregularities.

That applies to everything! It's this way in Economics too... We make a lot of assumptions. We suppose that consumers are rational and all... But the sensible world is different from the world of thought, as practice is different from theory...

I don't know if I am saying anything wrong... but I think this quote is useful for life too... Sometimes we imagine things, but reality is just different.

message 6: by Mike (new)

NO issues here. I have been side tracked lately and I am catching up as wall. I think that the Geometry developed by Pythagoras is key to the beginning of the concept of Logic that has explicit and defined laws (theorems) along with certain conditional axioms. This makes us understand that there is a particular amount of certainty in life itself. What that is we need to discover. lol