Inkshares Community discussion

General > Where is your online home?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Landon (new)

Landon Crutcher | 9 comments Hi fellow writer peoples. Here is my question for the group. Where do you make your online home? Where do you send people to "follow" you?

Obviously we're all trying to build an audience for the long run so what's your strategy? Do you direct them all to your personal website? Facebook page? Do you trust to your Inkshares profile? Or do you try to utilize as many outlets as possible?

I'm trying to figure out how to keep from fragmenting audience. I want the message to be simple "if you want any of Landon's stuff, here is where you go."

Obviously you have to constantly do outreach in different media outlets but what is your base?

message 2: by Mykl (new)

Mykl Walsh (RFSaunders) | 149 comments I'm kind of fragmented, but most often will direct prospects to my website http://secretagentman.org where there are links to Twitter, Facebook etc.

message 3: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) I do the bulk of my online writing at The Warbler, though I have a personal website, as well (elansamuel.com, if you were curious).

I have a bunch of presences online, but I want as many people as possible to visit my book review blog before seeing me elsewhere.

The exception, I think, is Twitter. Such fast-paced communication is really great for reaching people who are otherwise out of my league (authors and publishers specifically). I don't know if everyone else has had this experience with Twitter, but I've found it to be really effective.

message 4: by Landon (new)

Landon Crutcher | 9 comments Thanks guys. I'm pretty new to Twitter but it's becoming obvious I'm going to have to figure out what the hell I'm doing there.

message 5: by Mykl (new)

Mykl Walsh (RFSaunders) | 149 comments When you figure it out let me know!. I'm stumbling around on it, but I don't enjoy the success that Elan has.

Everyone is out of my league, but I haven't connected with anyone of note as far as being an influencer goes.

Maybe Elan can give us some Twitter tips!

message 6: by Elan (new)

Elan (bonbonelan) Mykl wrote: "When you figure it out let me know!. I'm stumbling around on it, but I don't enjoy the success that Elan has...

You flatter me, sir!

Twitter's a complicated thing, but there's a vibrant reader/publisher/author community thereupon. I recommend starting by following publishers and authors you like, which will inevitably lead to finding agents and impactful reviewers and influencers.

Follow book-related hashtags, as well.

Once you've built up that community of people to follow, start interacting with them. Be passionate. Be honest. Love books.

I recommend tweeting a few times a day; 5-7 times weekly as a minimum. Twitter moves so fast that it's difficult to stay relevant if you don't post often.

That seems to have worked for me...

message 7: by Landon (new)

Landon Crutcher | 9 comments Elan, that is probably the simplest and most useful Twitter explanation I have yet seen. Thank you!

I'll start working on my Tweet skills.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. (cbrennecke) | 170 comments Mod
Adding to the twitter tips:
Make sure you reply, retweet, and like just as often as you post. And make sure your posts are varied - every post about your book should be balanced by something not about your book.

p.s. I've been making an Inkshares Writers list on Twitter, so if anyone reading this hasn't been added yet, shoot me a pm @bonebonetweets :)

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 1 comments I would recommend setting up a personal landing page. About.me is a good one, but I personally use Flavors.me. Basically it is a single landing page that can aggregate in all of your social media to a single location. What is great about those sites is that you can leverage most of the free social media platforms out there to put together a nice polish site for yourself. Bring in your blog, Twitter, Facebook, or any number of other feeds, including Goodreads to the page.

Flavors.me is also owned by Moo, the business card company.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Matthew wrote: "I would recommend setting up a personal landing page. About.me is a good one, but I personally use Flavors.me. Basically it is a single landing page that can aggregate in all of your social media t..."

I feel so out of touch for not knowing about these things. Going to have to take your advice when I have some time this weekend.