Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2016 Plans > Baheya's "I Hope I Can Finish It" 2016 Reading List

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baheya (last edited Jan 04, 2017 05:37AM) (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments THE LIST:

1. A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't

2. A book set in a different continent - Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare/Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

3. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015 (winner or nominated)

4. A book by an author you discovered in 2015

5. A book with a title beginning with the 1st letter of your name

6. The highest rated on your TBR - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

7. A book about books

8. A classic book with less than 200 pages - Orlando by Virginia Woolf/The Undiscovered Self by C.G. Jung

9. A book that was mentioned in another book

10. A book by an author you feel you should have read by now

11. A book from the Rory Gilmore challenge - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

12. A childhood classic

✔13. Reader’s Choice - Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Album ★★★★

14. A book with one of the five W’s -or H in the title (Who/What/Where/When/Why/How)

15. A book set in the past (more than 100 years ago) - Persuasion by Jane Austen

✔16. A book from the top 100 mystery novels - The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle ★★★★★

✔17. A book with a beautiful cover - The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi ★★★★★

18. A book on a summer/beach reading list

✔19. A non-fiction book - The Art of War by Sun Tzu ★★★

✔20. A book with a first name in the title - Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie ★★★★

✔21. A book from the Goodreads Recommendations page - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ★★★

22. The first book in a new to you series

23. The next book in a series you are reading

24. A "between the numbers" book of a series (0.5, 1,5, 2.5, etc.)

✔25. A book whose main character is in a profession that interests you - The Last Asset by Edith Wharton (journalist) ★★★

26. A book everyone is talking about

✔27. A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion) -The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera ★★★★

✔28. A biography, autobiography, or memoir - My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem ★★★★

✔29. A book by an author who writes under more than one name - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling ★★★

✔30. A fairytale from a culture other than your own - Cinderella: A Grimm's Fairy Tale by The Grimm Brothers ★★★★

31. A work of young adult fiction - Messenger by Lois Lowery

32. A historical fiction book

33. The 16th book on your TBR - The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens

34. A book about mental illness - Crime and Punishmentby Fyodor Dostoyevsky

35. An award winning book - The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

✔36. An identity book - a book about a different culture, religion or sexual orientation - On Identity by Amin Maalouf ★★★★

37. A book that you've seen the movie of but haven't read

38. A book about an anti-hero

✔39. A previous suggestion that did not make it into the list - Fatherland by Robert Harris (an alternative history book). ★★★★

40. A novella from your favorite genre

41. A book about a major world event (fiction or non-fiction) - From Moscow to Cuba and Beyond: A Diplomatic Memoir of the Cold War by Jeanne Sutherland

42. A top 100 fantasy novel

43. A book about a thing that goes bump in the night

44. A book you're embarrassed to read in public

45. A book related to a hobby or passion you have

46. A crime story - الجريمة by Naguib Mahfouz

47. A book with a type of food/drink in the title

48. A dystopia

49. A book with a great opening line - Seeds of Hiroshima by Edita Morris

50. A book originally written in a language other than English - One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Marquez/Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

✔51. A short story from a well-known author – Morella by Edgar Allen Poe ★★★

52. A book published in 2016

READ
The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Arthur Conan Doyle Cinderella A Grimm's Fairy Tale by Jacob Grimm Morella by Edgar Allan Poe My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem Fatherland by Robert Harris The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry The Art of War by Sun Tzu Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom On Identity by Amin Maalouf The Last Asset by Edith Wharton The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 by John Tiffany Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

message 2: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Twenty books for 2016 (hopefully).

message 3: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Messenger is my favorite in the Giver quartet. I read The Time Machine and Persuasion this year, they were nice and quick, not the best books I read but interesting on the cultural side.

message 4: by Baheya (last edited Dec 24, 2015 11:43AM) (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments I read The Giver last year, which encouraged me to read another one of Lowery's books.

I read The Island of Dr. Moreau this year and loved it. We'll see how The Time Machine reads in comparison.

message 5: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Added one more book to the list.

message 6: by Saara (new)

Saara (lamiena) | 86 comments Wait, what edition of Orlando are you going to read? I'm pretty sure my copy was way over 200 pages. :D That aside, I found it at points incredibly frustrating. One of the few books I really felt, once or twice, deserve a swift meeting with a wall.

I should re-read Frankenstein; I have a feeling I'll appreciate it more when I'm *not* reading it for an entrance exam.

Hey, we have the same book for week 50! A friend sent me a copy that's registered on BookCrossing, so when I'm done with it, it will go off and find a new reader.

message 7: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments My copy of Orlando is 162 pages; it's published by Wordsworth Classics. The font is quite small and there's barely any space between the lines, which is probably why they were able to squeeze into under 200 pages :P.

message 8: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished the first book on my 2016 list: The Sign of Four =D

message 9: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments Nice job! How did you like it?

message 10: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments I loved it. Read almost all of it in a day. But I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, so I might be a little bias. :)

message 11: by Baheya (last edited Jan 03, 2016 06:04AM) (new)

message 12: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments great progress! i have just started my first book for this year. i want to read the unbearable lightness of being and one hundred years of solitude this year as well, look forward to discussing.

message 13: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Thank you! I would love to discuss them with you.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2157 comments I'll be reading Frankenstein, One Hundred Years of Solitude and Orlando too.

message 16: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Currently reading My Life on the Road and really enjoying it.

message 17: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished My life on the Road by Gloria Steinem.
A truly inspirational book!

message 18: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just started Fatherland

message 19: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Went on a book shopping spree yesterday, so I decided to include a couple of my newly bought books to the list.

Goal: still 25 books

message 20: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Finished Fatherland.
I would recommend it to anyone interested in WWII history, and would like to read an interpretation of what might have happened if the outcome had been different.

5/25

message 21: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Finished The Little Prince.

6/25

message 22: by Baheya (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:04AM) (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments A book with a beautiful title (in your own opinion): The Well of Loneliness instead of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

message 23: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Finished Tuesdays with Morrie.

Insisted on finishing the book on a Tuesday. :P

message 24: by Tia (new)

Tia | 128 comments Baheya wrote: "Finished Tuesdays with Morrie.

Insisted on finishing the book on a Tuesday. :P"

Did you like it?

message 25: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Yeah, I really liked it. It really gets you thinking about your priorities. And it's written in a way that feels like you're speaking to a grandparent, which I found rather endearing.

message 26: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments I included my rating of the books I've read.

message 27: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Added a new book to the list: On Identity by Amin Maalouf.

I started reading it for a college course several years ago and enjoyed it, but I never got to finish it. So when I found it in a bookshop the other day, I decided to buy it and included to this year's list.

message 28: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished On Identity.

message 29: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished The Last Asset.

message 30: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Are you doing half challenge too? I am planning to read 26 :) and because my weakness are graphic novels, I am doing a full challenge but just with graphic novels (mangas+comics) . Good luck with your challenge :)

message 31: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments My goal is actually to read 25 books, but my list has 28 so I can give myself a couple of extra options to choose from.
Might end up doing a half challenge, who knows? One extra book won't kill me. :P

Good luck with your challenge. See you at the finish line! =D

message 32: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished my first graphic novel: The Complete Persepolis.

11/25

message 33: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Because I'm way behind on my reading, I've decided to cut down my goal to 20 books.

The list has more to give myself options.

message 34: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Added more books to the list, because I can't resist passing by the bookstore and not buying anything.
Still behind though.

message 35: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Take it on the positive side: all those books you won't be able to read this year will be ready choices for next year! ;)

message 36: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Sophie wrote: "Take it on the positive side: all those books you won't be able to read this year will be ready choices for next year! ;)"

So true =D

message 37: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
Expected more from it, but it really didn't live up to the original books. Was a quick read though.

message 38: by Baheya (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Finally finished Parker Pyne Investigates!

message 39: by Baheya (last edited Oct 05, 2016 05:26AM) (new)

Baheya Zeitoun (baheyazeitoun) | 94 comments Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. An interesting and thought-provoking book.