The Book Vipers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Archive Folder > Group and Challenge Feedback

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Hi everyone. Just wondering if people can provide feedback for this years challenges and reading. Things to think about are:
did you like them?
Were they too much?
Are three book too many, or do you prefer the extra choices?
Did you like the categories for non fiction?

All feedback will be appreciated.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments I liked the categories for non-fiction. I think you should do a decade for the fiction category, just to spice things up.

I did have an issue with the movie challenge, I was unable to do all three books as the winner for the group read was one I had read recently, would have been better for this whingey git if there had been a couple to choose from.

enjoyed all the challenges though and looks forward to 2016's tattoo extravaganza.

message 3: by Trine (last edited Nov 24, 2015 10:01AM) (new)

Trine (majjalol) | 203 comments Loved the full deck ones - the other one didn't say me much unfortunately :/

About the 3 books/month it made alot of sense for me. Made me pick up books I most likely would not have read if not - though alot of the nonfiction ones could be tricky to find in time - but then again. That can also be 'cause I live far far from the rest of you - and newer nonfiction takes a while to find the way here

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments I liked the monthly book reads. I thought the amounts and categories of books were good. I not sure about the other challenges. The ideas were great but very involved.

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Have been tempted to do more on full deck challenge than I intended, so must have been a good one. Also like the 3 books a month, although if relying on library it's unlikely to get a modern book quickly. I didn't do the movie challenge. I'm on a roll to try to finish the full deck one. So not enough time for movie one, great if you wanted to. Don't think I will but at least I did more than one suit, my original goal. Thanks for setting them though.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) I did really like 3 books per month. I didn't manage to read everything because I'm quite busy with my uni reading and don't have much time + have poor time-management skills but I really like that the topics stay open because I frequently go back to read the comments and add my own if I read the book later in the year.

I don't usually participate in non-fiction reads (I'm quite picky about non-fiction and not everything interests me) but I feel many people here really enjoy it.

message 7: by Pamela (last edited Nov 26, 2015 11:43AM) (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 358 comments Really enjoyed both the challenges and the group reads, though I didn't get to the movie challenge as too much going on.

The full deck challenge was great for picking up new ideas and trying things I wouldn't usually read - that fitted well with my goals for this year but in future years I probably wouldn't commit to 54 books. Like that the Dusty Bookshelf goes on into next year as I want (and need) to finish that one too.

Like the group reads - I think the 3 categories are good as I can usually find at least one I want to read, and if not I grab one of the poll losers instead. Planning to read more non-fiction next year so interested to see what new categories might come up.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Wow. Forgot the dusty books one. Started off well for me, still my major large tome to read. That's not going to happen until next year. Got rid of a few though. More back in its place. Great challenges Paul.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 585 comments I think the 3 books a month challenge works well, especially as books over 500 pages are always extended over 2 months. It has been more interesting having a defined category for non-fiction this year.
As for the Full Deck Challenge, I am absolutely racing to finish it. It has been great and has certainly live up to the title. So many categories outside my comfort zone, has opened me up to subjects, authors I would usually have avoided.
I'll get this one completed then tackle the Dusty booksshelf, although half of my full deck could easily be slotted in there too.
Thanks Paul for the great challenges. Are we really doing the tattoos? ;)

message 10: by Paul (new)

If you can find a tattooist who can spell...

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments I thought the memo said it would be piercings. ;)

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Sandy wrote: "I thought the memo said it would be piercings. ;)"

That was for kindle users.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed the challenges this year, my only issue is me setting myself ridiculous targets!

I like the variety in the group reads and the flexibility of choosing three. I don't frequently join in the group reads unless they're linked to a specific challenge or a book I wanted to read already. The only reason for this is that I set myself high targets on other challenges and then don't leave enough time to join the group reads! I do like the idea of a theme for the non-fiction books.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the full deck challenge. I've been encouraged to read a lot of books I wouldn't already have done. I've also enjoyed the dusty shelf challenge as it's encouraged me to read a lot of books I already owned but hadn't read.

The only challenge I didn't join in was the book and film challenge and the reason for this is purely that I do not like reading books and watching the films in close proximity as I like to treat them as separate things altogether. That's not a reflection on the challenge at all, just my reading preferences.

I'm looking forward to next year's challenges

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason, that last comment made me laugh out loud.

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 147 comments I like the full deck challenge. And the other challenges were tempting as well.

And I like the group reads as well. I don't always end up participating, but end up adding most books to my 'to check out list'.

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 30 comments I've really enjoyed the full deck challenge, the only problem is I decided to do it all and that didn't leave much time for me to do many of the group reads, or read new books from my favourite authors this year. I've read a lot of interesting books that I wouldn't have bothered with if it wasn't for the challenge.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Thank you for all the feedback so far.

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika | 77 comments I love the Full Deck Challenge. I have 4 books left to go and I think I can do it.

The Dusty Shelf Challenge is great too, it's good to read those books neglected on the shelf.

I enjoyed the film and book challenge, but I'm with Ana - I didn't love viewing the films so soon after reading the books.

Book Vipers is my go-to group for challenges.

I enjoyed the choices for group reads. The ones I did read were rarely in the month the group set the book for (I read The Sisters Brothers well after the month it ended) but when I did read them I really enjoyed the books. Like the others have said, the Full Deck Challenge took up most of my time and limited my involvement in other discussions.

Cannot wait to hear about next year's big challenge!

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Ditto Joanne. Great challenges but I couldn't keep up this year. Do want to finish full deck and dusty shelf but would need another 2 or 3 months for both.

message 20: by Paul (new)

The Dusty shelf has a while to go Pat.

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Okay. Sorry Paul. Thought they finished in December. It's not the fault of the challenges it's that I've been easily led this year into different interests. Loved them all. Thank you soooo much.

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments I too have enjoyed the full deck challenge but it has been my focus since sept and I don't even look anymore to see what the monthly reads are as I won't be able to finish the challenge and read any monthly reads. So perhaps 54 books is a bit too many.

message 23: by Paul (new)

54 books is a huge number for some people, hence why you could choose to just do one suit if you wished. And next years is smaller too!

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Paul. I chose to do one suit. Temptation overcame me. Sorry.

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
I loved the Full deck challenge and loved that it was so large so that I had the fun of choosing the books I was going to read as well as reading them. I thought it was very well done so that people with more time constraints could just take a section of it if they wanted.

The dusty shelf challenge is worthy and was the challenge I had already been going to set myself, but I've just not felt as enthusiastic for it as I hought I might. I am glad though, that we had longer for this one.

I have found though, that while I have been so busy reading so many new books, I have ocasionally found myself wanting to re-read some old favourites but just not had the time for them. So next year I want to do a little re-reading also.

message 26: by Saffron (new)

Saffron (celeste1973) | 136 comments This is my first year in the group so all of the challenges are new to me.

Firstly I would like to say, even though I am not as active on here as some of you are, I have never found an on-line group of people so friendly. You are all willing to read others opinions without the back biting and trolling I have seen so often on other sites. It is a refreshing change, so thank you all.

The challenges are a great idea, it pushes me out of my comfort zone even though I have not had as much time to read this year as I would like thanks to those bothersome work and family things. I have not read every monthly winner but have tried my best with the fiction. Non fiction I tend not to read for fun unless it is a subject I am really interested in personally so I have to admit to only reading a couple.

I loved the Full Deck challenge and was really hoping to get through the whole list but it is unlikely now as that January choice was the Luminaries (I'd already read the classic) and 800 pages before the end of the year with around 5 others is not going to happen. If you do another one next year I will try harder.

The movie one I would in the ideal world liked to have tried but I don't watch a lot of TV and I have to have a lot of spare time to make me sit and watch a film nowadays, weird because I used to watch so many in my teens and twenties, however I do love telling people that the 'book is better' if I have read and watched.

I am ashamed of my progress in the Dusty Shelf stakes, just shows that book lovers just can't help themselves, the collection keeps growing and there are still too many to fit in the shelves.

Looking forward to seeing what we all read through 2016.

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments I've enjoyed the full deck challenge (and still going with it!) and found some great books that I wouldn't otherwise have picked up. However, 54 is just a few too many out of my annual total of 60-70, so I think next year I'll just stick to the shorter ones as I'd like to focus on some of my own goals too. Trouble is, I do like a challenge and can't resist trying to complete them...

The movie one sounded great but I knew I couldn't do that one as well as the full deck. And the dusty shelf is a great idea too, and definitely one I'll be continuing with next year.

message 28: by Paul (new)

Next years is smaller Cathy, and we do try to make them so people can do as much as they feel able to.

message 29: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments I know Paul - I just get carried away...

Looking forward to the big reveal of next years!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.