The Outsiders The Outsiders question

Dialogue- The Outsiders
Delilah Delilah (last edited Nov 23, 2015 11:11AM ) Nov 23, 2015 11:11AM
In the book "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton, Johnny says a few sentences that makes the tone of the dialogue change. In the text it says, "A nurse appeared in the doorway. "Johnny," she said quietly, "your mother's here to see you." Johnny opened his eyes. At first they were wide with surprise, then they darkened. "I don't want to see her," he said firmly."She's your mother." "I said I don't want to see her." His voice was rising. "She's probably come to tell
me about all the trouble I'm causing her and about how glad her and the old man'll be when I'm dead"(122). By having Johnny say these sentences in a stern way, it shows that Johnny really hates his parents because of all the horrible things the do to Johnny.

I agree with you! These sentences said by Johnny clearly show his character. It shows that he really dislikes his parents. Also, it shows that his parents are very rude and cruel people, being said that Johnny hates them so much.
To conclude, on page 122, Johnny's character is revealed through his dialogue.

I agree. Also, when, Johnny and Pony get into a conflict with the Socs, the author writes, "You know what a Soc is? I said, with my voice shking in rage, white trash with Mustangs and madras." (55) This shows the conflict between the Socs and the greasers, because they dislike each other.

Yes I agree also! That dialogue in that quote clearly has a lot of tone. In one of the quotes I can almost see Johnny trying to say "I don't want to see her" in a mean tone, but I can also picture that he's also saying it in a helpless tone because of the fact that he's dying in the hospital. I can also picture the nurse's tone in her voice being suprised when she says "but she's your mother" because most people when they're sick and in a hospital want their mothers around, but since Johnny doesn't want his mother, the nurse was proabably suprised. All in all dialogue helps the reader live in the character's story world.