The Book Vipers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Archive Folder > What books are on your Christmas List?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
What books do you have on your Christmas lists?

message 2: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Do you mean to be read during Christmas or hoping to get as presents? Or give or buy for yourself?

If it's the first, I am planning on reading a book I found some time ago that has both A Christmas Carol and The Chimes by Dickens. I don't think it can be read at any other time of the year and I already missed it last year. I haven't read anything by him yet, but I doubt he will become my favourite author anyway, not really my type. I don't like to start anything too long so I would have a chance to mark it as read before the end of the year. :-)

If it's the latter, I have been eyeing on a new edition of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. It's a new translation and it has some extras, too, so I'd like to have it even though I do have them in English and read most of them as a child. So I just might get it as a Christmas present for myself, last year I "got" Jeeves stories. If not, I might consider a book about Herod as one, I found it on sale some time ago... I don't have anything else that I would "really" want for myself.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments What Paul means is what books do we want him to get us as Christmas presents as we've all been good this year.

message 4: by Paul (new)

It was hoping to get as presents, but I like the sound of Jason's idea

message 5: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I have too many books as it is and not even this year's nominees looked that interesting, so I am fine with not getting any books. There might be one in one series that looks interesting (Traveler of the Century) but I can read it later.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Noone buys me books for Christmas (sad face), but I'm hoping to obtain the following:
Alice Hoffman: The Museum of Extraordinary Things

The Girl on the Train

Mog's Christmas (though I'll pretend that's for the boy)

and a few Neil Gaiman books.

I am also tempted by The Girl in the Spider's Web, although I have heard mixed reviews.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments wooohooo Christmas has arrived early for me, just had an email telling me I am a goodreads winner, got a copy of Ghetto Klown on the way. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations Jason

message 11: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Fab. Jason.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Just ordered one of these for my daughter...

http://uk.kano.me/?utm_source=fb&...

Has a book with it too, looks like fun.

message 13: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I would like to have this: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Lovers-Jou...

And a couple of these as a present: http://www.amazon.com/Bookworm-Journa...

But I don't really need the first and the kids to whom I am thinking of the second, can't even read yet and especially not English for a few years.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments I've just ordered one of those bookworm Journals for my youngest. Thanks for the link Tytti

message 15: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Fabulous Tytti

message 16: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I did think you might be interested, Jason. It would have been nice to have something like that as a child.

message 17: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I also ended up buying those Sherlock Holmes stories for myself... There are probably 25 stories that I haven't previously read, some of them I have seen though (Jeremy Brett playing Holmes).

Now I have to decide will I read them all from the beginning or just the "new" ones. That would mean reading 36 stories and about 834 pages before I get to them... But I can't start reading them before 2016, otherwise it would mess my GR stats. Maybe I'll read them all, so I can be sure that I didn't miss any when I was 9 years old.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Those bookworm journals sound brilliant. I want one ... for myself.

message 19: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments Tytti wrote: "Do you mean to be read during Christmas or hoping to get as presents? Or give or buy for yourself?

If it's the first, I am planning on reading a book I found some time ago that has both A Christma..."

A Christmas Carol is a Christmas ritual in our house. I have been reading it to my children every year. As we follow the more European tradition of giving presents in the evenning of the 24th Dec. it helped to while away the time beautifully. Now they are teenagers, they read part of it to us and they still love it. It is one of the most enchanting beautiful books ever.

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments Tytti wrote: "I did think you might be interested, Jason. It would have been nice to have something like that as a child."

Agree. It might have been a diary I could have actually be bothered to keep up with.

message 21: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments I have given out very strong hints to Father Christmas that I would really like to find under the Christmas Tree:

The Coroner' Lunch by Colin Cotteril (lots of recommendation for this series)
A brief HIstory of Seven Killings, by Marlon James
The Rickshaw Boy by She Lao
All quiet on the western front by Erich Maria Remarque

Tytti is right though. Don't really NEED any more as there are quite a few on my shelves waiting to be read. However, I can never get over the excitment of getting new books for christmas, never mind how old I get.

message 22: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Gisela wrote: "As we follow the more European tradition of giving presents in the evenning of the 24th Dec. it helped to while away the time beautifully."

Finns go to a sauna on Christmas Eve. There is always a peak at the electricity consumption because most people only have electric saunas. I can't remember was it once so cold on Christmas that they asked people not have it all at the same time because the system was already operating in a full capacity... or was it some other time and just ordinary Saturday.

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments A sauna. How lovely. I do love a sauna.

message 24: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Pat wrote: "A sauna. How lovely. I do love a sauna."

Though considering that you are British(?), I have to wonder have you ever been in a proper one. They are usually few and far between abroad. Usually foreign ones are too cold, you can't throw water on the rocks and there are all kinds of weird rules that you have to follow. Or in some places people are even wearing normal clothes and shoes and using smartphones in them!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been in one in our old gym where you could throw water on coals and it was the temperature of the sun

message 26: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Why does everyone keep calling them coals? I see so often that. :D They are rocks, coals wouldn't like water. And 80 degrees is a good temperature. The temperature actually goes down a bit with the water and steam but it feels hotter on the skin.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Perhaps that's just what we call them here.

message 28: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Well, there is a big difference between coals and rocks (or stones), so it wouldn't really make sense. You can maybe warm the sauna using coal, like you can do with wood, but throwing water on them would cool them down immediately and maybe make smoke, not steam.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's just the word we use here rather than being actual coals.

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments It's because over here in the UK we love a bit of smog, especially in our Saunas. Feels lovely to line your lungs with a layer of coal dust.

message 31: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I went in a private one years ago. I threw water on something and it got hotter. The hotter the better I found. Hated the plunge into cold water though. No clothes allowed. As we are British we could wear a swimming costume. You wild foreigners. Nudity, whatever next? Haha.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I laughed at that Jason.

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Charlotte wrote: "I laughed at that Jason."

Laughed and coughed I hope.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

With my soot-filled lungs. Of course.

message 35: by Paul (new)

On my list is the two books from the Discworld series that I am missing and the The Compleat Discworld Atlas

message 37: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Jason wrote: "I've just ordered one of those bookworm Journals for my youngest. Thanks for the link Tytti"

Has "your youngest" enjoyed the Bookworm Journal, Jason? I actually sent email to one of our publishing houses, just to ask if it were possible to have something like that published here, too. I don't really think anything will come out of it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

message 38: by Jason (last edited Sep 11, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Jeez Tytti! we did it for the first month and then we seem to forget about it completely. I have no idea where it is. will hunt it out this week. thanks for the reminder. She does read loads so isn't missing out. :-)

Whilst we remembered to do it she loved it and it was good fun. Hope you manage to get hold of one.

message 39: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I don't actually need one, children that age would need too much help from their parents to understand the journals in English and I don't want to do that to my friends. The only one in Finnish is both boring and too small for any serious reader, so I would like to do one that offers something more, and for different age groups, too, with some recommendations. There are a few books I would have liked to have read as a kid or teenager. I think I would have enjoyed them more.

And yeah, that can be a bit of a chore to fill it but kids may thank you later.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments It was really good, you read a book and then had to do a task on it. answer questions or draw a picture of a character or write your own story with the character.

message 41: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Yeah, I've seen some pictures online. Not something I would have liked to do as a child, though, but I have understood that I was maybe a bit "special"... I would have just preferred to write something about the book.

Schools here have a similar thing going on nowadays, kids read a book from a list divided by genres and like, one or two from each, and do something from a list of tasks. After they have done maybe 8-10 a year, they get a diploma.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments My eldest is in year 8 and her English teacher has tasked her with reading 30 books this year from a range of genres. first book has been done. She has been grumbling about it non-stop so far. haha

message 43: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments 30 in a year! We didn't have to read that many in all 12 years in school combined.

In my area for that diploma one has to read 6 books in years 1-6, 8 in years 7-9 and 15 in total in a secondary school that lasts about 2.5-3 years usually. I am not even sure it's mandatory in most schools, more likely teachers just encourage to do it.

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments she's got to do 3 classics, a biography, historical fiction, and 4 non fiction books. others will be easier to fill.

message 45: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I was a fast reader and read more than many others when I was that age but even I would have struggled with that assignment. It would have taken all the fun out of reading.

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments we'll try I best not to make it a chore for her. gonna be tough though.

message 47: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments So does she get to choose the books herself or is there a list or something to choose from? And who decides if something is a classic or not? I often like to read longer books but I probably wouldn't if I had to read that many in a certain time.

message 48: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments She can pick them herself but genres and numbers of books per genre has been set. I think it is pretty flexible on what you pick. 1st classic she is going for is lord of the flies. nice and short.

message 49: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I was a bookworm and prob easily read that many. I wouldn't have thought it a chore, but a pleasure. However, some of my friends would have been put of reading for life if "told" what to do. As well as all the other stuff they have to do nowadays. 12 may have been more realistic. One a month, catch up in hols if fall behind because of work.
Anyway, we may be off topic now. No idea for Xmas. It's too far away to predict what I will have read by then

message 50: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments they don't HAVE to read the 30 books, it is the challenge they have been set. Some kids are refusing to do it. My daughter loves reading, she just loves Sims 4 more.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.