Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2016 Old & New Classic Challenge > Julie's Old & New Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Nov 18, 2016 07:19AM) (new)

Julie | 644 comments Old & New Classics Challenge

All of these books have been taken from my to-read list here on Goodreads, some of them I've been meaning to read for years...

1899 and earlier/Old School
1. Louisa May AlcottThe Inheritance (1849) Read January 2016
2. Nathaniel HawthorneThe Scarlet Letter (1850) Read January 2016
3. Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Lord Fauntleroy (1877) Read August 2016

1900-1999/New School
4. F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Beautiful and Damned (1922) Read January 2016
5. Terry PratchettGood Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990) Read January 2016
6. Thomas Keneally - Schindler's List (1982) Read March 2016

My Wild Card Six
7. Philip PullmanThe Golden Compass (1995) Read January 2016
8. Lionel Shriver - We Need To Talk About Kevin (2003) Read July 2016
9. Daniel KeyesFlowers for Algernon (1958) Read August 2016
10. Markus ZusakThe Book Thief (2005) Read May 2016
11. A.A. MilneThe Red House Mystery (1922) Read February 2016
12. Margaret AtwoodOryx and Crake (2003) Read June/July 2016

Alternates
A-1. Ernest HemingwayThe Sun Also Rises (1926) Read November 2016
A-2. Stephen King11/22/63 (2011) Read October/November 2016

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah There's some really great stuff on here. You're going to have a fun reading year :)

message 3: by Desertorum (new)

Desertorum Nice list, I have multiple in my TBR pile as well!

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Oh you have some great books on your list. I've read numbers 2, 4, 8, 9, 10 and A1. Of those, I loved four of them and hated two, haha, so I'll be looking out to see what you think of them. I'm far from even contemplating my 2016 list at the moment! Good luck!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Pink wrote: "Oh you have some great books on your list. I've read numbers 2, 4, 8, 9, 10 and A1. Of those, I loved four of them and hated two, haha, so I'll be looking out to see what you think of them. I'm far..."

Number 9 was actually chosen per inspiration of you :-)

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Oh that's good to know, I really liked it. Made me cry, which doesn't happen often.

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5495 comments Mod
Nice list. I have only read 5 of your choices. I'll wait to see what you think and maybe add some of your choices to my TBR list. I am mulling over my list at the moment...so many books I want to read, but I think I will pull all of them from the longest standing members of my TBR.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yes, 9 is a really wonderful book. I read The Beautiful and Damned this year and it was my favorite on my challenge so far but it was one of those things where I could tell my reaction wasn't very objective. I just clicked with it. Good Omens is hilarious :)

message 9: by Maarit (last edited Nov 24, 2015 08:52AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments Nice list. I've read 5, 6, 10 and 12 before and I also considered to add number 9 to my challenge, but decided not to. Also number 7 has been in my TBR -pile for way too long of a time, so maybe I should read it next year :D. Also, all the other choices look great as well, I hope you have fun with your challenge.

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
I have read books by Alcott, Hawthorne, Fitzgerald, Milne, Atwood, and Hemingway, but none of them match your selections. I read Flowers this year, very good. As for King’s 11/22/63, I couldn’t put it down, a real page turner. The Book Thief is a sure future classic. It will be a great old classic read when my great grandkids read it.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice Sitts | 48 comments Julie wrote: "So many challenges, so much fun planning them :-)

I had great succes with this challenge last year, so offcourse I'm going to give it another go this year.

All of these books have been taken fro..."

Julie, this is a very attractive reading list (is that weird use of words?) These are all books I would also have picked up to read (not under a challenge though as I don't think I could continuously read classics like this all at once. Well done!

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Janice wrote: "Julie, this is a very attractive reading list (is that weird use of words?) These are all books I would also have picked up to read (not under a challenge though as I don't think I could continuously read classics like this all at once. Well done! "

Thank you Janice :-)

Actually I read quite a lot so I mix up my challenge books with contemporary chick lit, ya books and crime fiction

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) This is a great list. Lots I want to read on here!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments I'm off to a good start - finished The Beautiful and Damned last night and really liked it :-)

And started up Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch which seems promising
(my liking of this book will be a test of whether I read more by the two authors or not...)

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
Really nice and varied list. I don't think you will get bored reading your choices. Have loads of fun.

message 16: by April (new)

April Great job! One down already. :)

message 17: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 135 comments Congratulations! I just started The Beautiful and Damned. Did you like it? How did it compare to his other books that you have read? Did you listen to any jazz while you read it?

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Cosmic wrote: "Congratulations! I just started The Beautiful and Damned. Did you like it? How did it compare to his other books that you have read? Did you listen to any jazz while you read it?"

Lol, I liked it - the only other by him I've read was The Great Gatsby, and that was some years ago so I don't remember it exactly - and no jazz unfortunately

message 19: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Julie wrote: "And started up Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch which seems promising
(my liking of this book will be a test of whether I read more by the two authors or not...) ..."

Some of the plot elements are more Gaiman-ish, but the humor and writing style is pure Terry Pratchett.

So it's fair to judge Pratchett by this book, but don't judge Gaiman by it!

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I was pleasantly surprised by The Beautiful and Damned. It was a slow burner and one of my favourites by Fitzgerald.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The Beautiful and Damned great .i hope one day read it

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Updated my list with the books I've read so far - I really liked all so far, so it's a great start :-)

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
5/12+ Yes, I'd say you've a great start on this challenge.

message 24: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
A great start, absolutely, but liking them all, that's the bonus. Hope the rest are as good.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Updated - now at 8 books read. Just finished The Book Thief which I really enjoyed. My next read from the list will be Oryx and Crake - just ordered it from the library :-)

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments And I'm done!Flowers for Algernon
(well still need to do the two alternates to be truly done - hope to do those before the end of the year.

My last four reads here Oryx and Crake, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Little Lord Fauntleroy and Flowers for Algernon have been among the best reads of the bunch - topped by Flowers for Algernon which is a new favourite

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
Congratulations, I hope you finish the alternates, but the challenge is complete. I can't speak to The Sun Also Rises, but 11/23/63 was very good, it was second or third by King.

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Bob wrote: "Congratulations, I hope you finish the alternates, but the challenge is complete. I can't speak to The Sun Also Rises, but 11/23/63 was very good, it was second or third by King."

Yes I've heard really good things about this King Novel :-) If I don't manage to read it this year I'll definately include it in next years wild card reads

message 29: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Congrats on finishing your challenge! I'm also a big fan of Flowers for Algernon and The Sun Also Rises, if you find time for your extras!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Congrats on completing your challenge!

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments I ended up reading my two alternates as well. 11/22/63 is a new favourite - seems like I have a thing for time travel literature, I also loved Time and Time Again which I read last year.

The Sun Also Rises was not really my thing - I'm just not as much into bullfighting as Hemingway...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Now the I know that EHs "The Sun Also Rises" is about bullfighting, I'll be sure to skip it!

message 33: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments That's great that you read all 14. I love time travel too. Have you ever read To Say Nothing of the Dog? I really enjoyed it last year.

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Laurie wrote: "That's great that you read all 14. I love time travel too. Have you ever read To Say Nothing of the Dog? I really enjoyed it last year."

I have not - it goes on the list :-)

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Congrats on finishing!