What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. College Art History Book-Letters Between Artists [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McCauley | 25 comments A friend asked me if I could find this book from her college art history class in the 90s - I told her I knew just the people to ask!

"The book was a bunch of letters artists wrote to each other, I think I remember Van Gogh and Cezanne in there. Anyway, there was a quote about liking 'things that are impossible, I feel them like a thorn stuck in my side' I can't find the book or quote anywhere"

This mystery quote makes me think of Frida Kahlo for some reason... but I have no idea if this is anywhere near the mark

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McCauley | 25 comments "I love things that are absurd, useless, impossible, frantic, excessive, and intense, because they provoke me, because I feel them like thorns in my flesh." Poet Emile Verhaeren said it in a letter to painter Odilon Redon

Found good lead on book... think this one is solved

message 3: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (lavender0lilacs) | 19 comments Were you just looking for the quote author, or the book? Because if you found the book I hope you'll share it. It sounds very interesting!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McCauley | 25 comments Think it's probably Artists on Art by Robert Goldwater
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Did that turn out to be the book? Shall we move this to Solved?

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McCauley | 25 comments Yes, I and my friend both bought copies of the book!
She was overjoyed and said it was definitely the book