ACIM: Listen, Learn and Act discussion

The Function of the Miracle Worker

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
"ionPhysical medications are "spells", but if you are afraid to use the mind to heal, you should not attempt to do so." Perhaps I'm taking this too literally, or out of context. I personally am diagnosed with dual ilnesses that are incurable, but can be managed with medication. I have tried self managent in the past, but reached the point where I had no choice but to take medication. So does this mean that I am afraid? No, i know that my illnesses cannot be managed without medication because i did try it.

message 2: by Angelanadine (new)

Angelanadine | 17 comments I'm curious of what Ramon can offer, I am interested to hear!

message 3: by Ramon, Co Moderator (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
First, Julie, I loaded up a lot more videos - until I found one that may be a good start for you to view. Okay, from most locations in our group, click on the videos there on the right-hand side. Then click more videos in order for you to see the whole list. There are several pages now. About 150 videos. Look for the one called - Q & A: Illness. View that video as many times as you need to. Take notes and write down any questions that may arise during viewing.

Second, Your statement: i know that my illnesses cannot be managed without medication because i did try it, is not a true statement. And its not a true statement for at least two reasons. (1) i know should really be I only believe; and, (2) i did try it is not the same thing as saying I tried everything. And the fact that your still looking for something tells me that you actually haven't tried everything.

So lets start by admitting what truth we actually know about. (1) You haven't been able to manage your illnesses without medication. (2) Because you believe you don't know everything, there is no way you could have tried everything.

How do I know that? Cause I'm in the same boat with you. Another thing - who ever told you that your illnesses were incurable should have his licence to practice healing taken away from him.That is, if it was a doctor that told you that. Doctors today usually don't tell their patient that their illness is incurable. What they are taught to say now, is that there is no known cure available.

Why? Because it is a known fact that in many cases where they give the patient no hope, the patient stops trying. And how hard is it for someone to ever get well when that person has given up all hope?

Julie, I believe that we, both, have all the hope there is. So, now, lets just continue on our journey to with this fear thing.

message 4: by Ramon, Co Moderator (last edited Nov 22, 2015 08:50PM) (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Julie wrote: ""ionPhysical medications are "spells", but if you are afraid to use the mind to heal, you should not attempt to do so." Perhaps I'm taking this too literally, or out of context. I personally am dia..."

ACIM states: "Physical medications are forms of “spells,” but if you are afraid to use the mind to heal, you should not attempt to do so." T-2.V.2. (Emphasis added).

As emphasize, the term if is present, which means that the statement isn't saying that you are afraid, but only if you are afraid.

So I have only your word that you are not afraid and that may be true, but the story, as told by you, does have a sense of fear running through it.

I have my medication and I have no fear. But, if I stop taking the medication, then I will suffer. So, while I say that I'm not afraid - at the same time I say I can't stop taking my medication. The fear is that I will suffer. Believe me, I don't like taking any medication. So, it is clear that the only real reason I take that medication is because I fear what happens when I don't take that stupid medication. Same story as yours.

What do you think?

message 5: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
Yes, you are right to correct my thinking that I should say there is no known cure at this time. My fear is how not remainig on medication will effect my family because I know how it would, and I choose not to put them thruogh it. My Illnesses are mental health illnesses. By remaining on medication, I am a high functioning individual. While I have researched extensively, there is the possibility that there is something I have not found to try. I have been told by every doctor that I've seen, that at this time, there is only management as an option. This, currently, is what I see as the reality of my situation. I do not know of another way to view it.

message 6: by Ramon, Co Moderator (last edited Nov 23, 2015 07:30AM) (new)

Ramon | 55 comments Mod
Your wishes are reasonable, Julie. And, according to ACIM, all illnesses are mental health illnesses.

We are co-creators. We have created our own environment. And, at least for me, my environment could stand a few improvements. I have a good imagination, so, I should be able to come up with fresh ideas with little problem. For right now, I am content, so there is no rush.

Being able to help others has somehow helped me as well. Feel free to bounce your thoughts on me whenever you like, Julie. I usually have a very positive out-look on most things. I'm rarely stumped and thanks to the internet, information is always at my fingertips.

Peace be with you.

message 7: by Julie, Co Moderator (new)

Julie | 29 comments Mod
Thank you Roman. I see you as a highly inteligent, caring, and nurturing person. I am very thankful to have met you.

I have watched the video on illness that you suggested. I took notes and now need some time to assemble my thoughts.