Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2016 - Level 3 (Super Sleuth) > Susie's 2016 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Dec 26, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments I'm moving up to this level for 2016...whoohoo!

I'll be posting my books here as I read them but you can also see my shelf at:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

There are a few books already on it that I didn't get to in 2015, and I have plenty of others to pick from my tbr shelf!

18/13-20

1. Cat Nap 1/14/16 ☆☆☆
2. Murders on Elderberry Road 2/4/16 ☆☆☆☆
3. Murder on the Eightfold Path 3/21/16 ☆☆☆
4. The Eagle Catcher 3/24/16 ☆☆☆
5. Bloom and Doom 5/29/16 ☆☆☆ 1/2
6. Clammed Up 6/14/16. ☆☆☆☆
7. Killer Cupcakes 6/18/16 ☆☆ 1/2
8. A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die 6/28/16 ☆☆☆☆
9. Twisted Threads 7/4/16 ☆☆☆☆
10. Deadly Intentions 7/27/16. ☆☆☆
11. Death By Cashmere 9/16/16 ☆☆☆☆
12. A Quilt in Time 10/5/16 ****
13. A Spell of Trouble 11/27/16 ****
14. Murder is Binding 12/3/16 ☆☆☆
15. A Deadly Cliché 12/8/16 ****
16. The Christmas Quilt 12/10/16 ****
17. The Last Word 12/23/16 *****
18. A Not So Cozy Christmas 12/26/16 *

Cat Nap (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #2) by Claire Donally Murders on Elderberry Road by Sally Goldenbaum Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3) by Diana Killian The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) by Margaret Coel Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1) by Barbara Ross Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker #1) by Leighann Dobbs A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell Twisted Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #1) by Lea Wait Deadly Intentions (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #5) by Leighann Dobbs Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1) by Sally Goldenbaum A Quilt in Time (A Harriet Turman/Loose Threads Mystery) by Arlene Sachitano A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1) by Leighann Dobbs Murder is Binding (A Booktown Mystery, #1) by Lorna Barrett A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8) by Jennifer Chiaverini The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3) by Ellery Adams A Not So Cozy Christmas (Shannon Porter Mystery, #1) by Haley Harper

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 895 comments Mod
Great! Enjoy your books and good luck with the challenge!

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "I'm moving up to this level for 2016...whoohoo!"

Good for you, Susie!

message 4: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
I am moving up to this level as well. Good luck.

message 5: by Susie (last edited Nov 22, 2015 02:21PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments I got motivated/excited seeing everyone signing up, etc so I went through my tbr shelf, and I now have 19 books (so far) on my 2016 shelf for the challenge!

There are some books to finish some series, some to continue series from 2015 and then some new ones to check out!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "I got motivated and went through my tbr shelf, and I now have 19 books (so far) on my 2016 shelf for the challenge!"

I'm going to browse your shelf again! When I looked earlier, I think there were only five or six on it. Great idea. I might that too.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) I see you're going for the Amelia Peabody series. That was always one of my favorites. For me though they sort of bogged down for a while when the kids grew up and were taking a large part in the story. I wanted Amelia and Emerson back! They got a little better though again, either that or I got used to them.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 244 comments Those were my carry overs from last year's list...I figured best to start there. ;)

You'll see I have the second Amelia Peabody book on there...actually hoping to get to a few of them in 2016...

message 9: by Britney (new)

I really liked the Lucy Valentine series by Heather Webber.Its full of humor. You have quite a few on your list that I have never heard of. You have quite a list to start with. Good luck.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 244 comments I'm just now reading my last of the Nina Quinn series by Heather Webber. I had forgotten how much I like her books so I will be getting to the Lucy Valentine series sooner, rather than later!

message 11: by Susie (last edited Jan 16, 2016 03:57PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 1. Cat Nap (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #2) by Claire Donally byClaire Donally. ☆☆☆

My first for the year! This is the second in a series that features Sunny and her cat Shadow, and their adventures together while also solving murders. I like all the characters and the couple of side stories are enjoyable also. I will continue to read this series...

message 12: by Britney (new)

Everyone seems to love mysteries with cats. I have never read an animal mystery. Is this a new series out?

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 244 comments I never thought I would care for the animal 'characters' in the cozies, but there are a couple I've found that I enjoy.

In this series, the cat doesn't have magic powers or anything (many do), but it does tell parts of the story from the cat's view, which is just a way to let us in on a few tidbits on the way to solving the mystery.

I know that one of the reviewers went off on this series for the portrayal of certain things in the first one...(no spoiler), but I am not that serious about my cozies!

message 14: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 2. Murders on Elderberry Road by Sally Goldenbaum ☆☆☆☆

1st in a cozy series about a quilting group in Kansas, which I thought was unique. I like the character line-up, all unique, interesting people that I enjoyed getting to 'know'. Po, one of the main characters is a little too know it all for me, but enjoyable still. I'm not a quilter but I love stories where quilting is involved!

message 15: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "2. Murders on Elderberry Road by Sally Goldenbaum 4 stars.

1st in a cozy series about a quilting group in Kansas, which I thought was unique. I like the character line-up, all unique, interesting p..."

LOL, I know just what you mean about those 'know it all' characters.

message 16: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 3. Murder on the Eightfold Path (Mantra for Murder, #3) by Diana Killian by Diana Killian ☆☆☆

message 17: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 4. The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) by Margaret Coel by Margaret Coel ☆☆☆

This is the first in a series that takes place on the Arapaho reservation in Wyoming.
I like the writing and the native american/southwestern setting and history. Looking forward to more character development as the series progresses.

message 18: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 41 comments I like Margaret Coel Wind River Books. I'm current except for the latest one.

message 19: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 5. Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen by Beverly Allen ☆☆☆ 1/2

First in a series about a florist shop, mainly bridal arrangements. Would not usually be a preferred back drop for me, but was reading for a challenge that had to have flowers on the cover...and ended up getting sucked in :)
I enjoyed the characters and various storylines and the book kept me guessing - I had an idea of who the bad guy was but not absolutely sure until the last few pages which was fun...
I liked it enough to read the next one, probably sooner than later!

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "5. Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1) by Beverly Allen by Beverly Allen 3 1/2 stars.
First in a series about a florist shop, mainly bridal arrangements. Would not usually be a preferred back drop for me, but was reading for a challenge that had to have flowers on the cover...and ended up getting sucked in :) "

I love when that happens. Such a nice unexpected treat.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 575 comments Susie wrote: "4. The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) by Margaret Coel by Margaret Coel 3 stars.

This is the first in a series that takes place on the Arapaho reservation in Wyoming.
I like the writing and the n..."

I like the Wind River Reservation series too--I've read five or six of them. The characters are good and the stories are well researched. The last one I read tied in some history about Sacajawea, and had an interesting story line.

message 22: by Susie (last edited Jun 14, 2016 07:27PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 6. Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1) by Barbara Ross by Barbara Ross ☆☆☆☆

This is first in a series that takes place on an island in Maine and revolves around a family that provides an authentic clam bake experience for tourists.
I liked the characters and it does have a little more action in it than other cozies, but definitly still a cozy! The ending was a bit of a surprise so that's always nice... :)
Definite recommend....

Donna...I plan to continue the Wind River Reservation series...I too like that they are well researched...adds a lot to the stories...

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "6. Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1) by Barbara Ross by Barbara Ross ☆☆☆☆

This is first in a series that takes place on an island in Maine and revolves around a family that provides an authentic cl..."

My library has this one! Now to find the time, lol.

message 24: by Susie (last edited Jun 19, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 7. Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs by Leighann Dobbs ☆☆ 1/2

I have been reading cozies from this author for awhile...this is a first in a new series for me. While I did enjoy the general plot and characters, it was quite short and not alot of meat on the bone as they say...I read it less than a day, which is pretty rare for me...

However the second one is free for my Kindle so I'll read it before deciding if I will continue with this series. Is the fact it's free telling me something? ;)

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "7. Killer Cupcakes (Lexy Baker Cozy Mystery, #1) by Leighann Dobbs by Leighann Dobbs ☆☆ 1/2

I have been reading cozies from this author for awhile...this is a first in a new series for me. While I did enjo..."

You never know. Good luck with it Susie.

message 26: by Britney (new)

Susie wrote: "6. Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1) by Barbara Ross by Barbara Ross ☆☆☆☆

This is first in a series that takes place on an island in Maine and revolves around a family that provides an authentic cl..."

I really enjoyed this one.

message 27: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 8. A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell by Edith Maxwell ☆☆☆☆

1st in a series and new to me. Found it on someone else's thread (I dont remember who!) and needed a cozy with veggies on the front so this fit the bill!
I gave it 4 stars and did enjoy it, especially the farm setting worked well. I will definitely read more of this series as the chacters are fun...and a little nutty, which adds to the storyline!

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) I've got this one on my TBR, Susie! I remember seeing it on a couple of threads. Mark was one, but I can't remember offhand who the other one was.

message 29: by Susie (last edited Jul 04, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 9. Twisted Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #1) by Lea Wait by Lea Wait...4 stars, maybe even 4 1/2!

Another first in a series and probably top 3 for cozies read so far this year. I liked the characters, nothing too wacky or outlandish and the mystery kept me guessing until the end, which is a definite plus! Also some flirting going on but no police/sheriff love interest which is a nice change...at least not yet... ;)
Definite recommend!

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "9. Twisted Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #1) by Lea Wait by Lea Wait...4 stars, maybe even 4 1/2!

Another first in a series and probably top 3 for cozies read so far this year. I liked the characte..."

Hadn't heard of her, but just checked my library and they have the first three. Thanks, Susie.

message 31: by Susie (last edited Jul 27, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 10. Deadly Intentions (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #5) by Leighann Dobbs by Leighann Dobbs. I gave it three stars.

I have liked this series even though paranormal cozies are not really my thing. I like the four sisters who the series revolve around and their lives and the other characters in their lives. This one towards the end was over the top with the paranormal stuff though, fending off evildoers in the world...too much for me!
With that said, I already bought the next 2, so will probably read them at some point...

message 32: by Britney (new)

Susie wrote: "10. Deadly Intentions (Blackmoore Sisters Mystery, #5) by Leighann Dobbs by Leighann Dobbs. I gave it three stars.

I have liked this series even though paranormal cozies are not really my thing. I like the fou..."

I'm not much into the paranormal reads either

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Me neither in general. Although I did get hooked on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Now I'm trying Ill Wind but it's too early to see how it goes.

message 34: by Susie (new)

Susie | 244 comments 11. Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1) by Sally Goldenbaum ☆☆☆☆.

This book is probably one of the first cozies I put on my tbr shelf and I finally got to it! It started off kind of slow but in the end I really liked it! I liked all the characters and how the story developed. I had an idea of 'who done it' but it kept me guessing. I liked that this was straightforward...nothing too crazy or outlandish going on...
I believe the author is just releasing the 12th in this series...hopefully they all hold up! This was the first one so I look forward to more!

message 35: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 313 comments Susie wrote: "11. Death By Cashmere (Seaside Knitters, #1) by Sally Goldenbaum ☆☆☆☆.

This book is probably one of the first cozies I put on my tbr shelf and I finally got to it! It started off kind of slow but in the end I really lik..."

It sounds good. I'll add it to my TBR.

message 36: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 12. A Quilt in Time (A Harriet Turman/Loose Threads Mystery) by Arlene Sachitano ☆☆☆☆
This has been on my tbr for ages so good to finally read it! This is one of my favorite quilting cozy series. I like that it takes place in Washington state, I like the characters including the love interest, Aiden who is the local vet. This one was probably not the best in the series but there are 2 newer ones to tackle now!

1 away from hitting the minimal goal for Level 3...the perfect level for me!

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) That happens to me sometimes too, Susie. I love a book that has been on my shelf forever - then I wonder what took me so long to get around to it, lol.

message 38: by Susie (last edited Nov 28, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 13. A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1) by Leighann Dobbs ☆☆☆☆

This is another first in a series that I started for Halloween, but got sidetracked from...
I did end up liking it and it involves a town where many paranormals reside so keep that in mind for next year's challenge! ;)

I like the characters and there are many animals/pets that play a part which I liked too.
Will be reading the next one...for next year's challenge. ..

Oh yeah...hit my (minimal) goal of 13 cozies, but I'll likely read a few more before the end of 2016! :)

message 39: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "13. A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1) by Leighann Dobbs ☆☆☆☆

This is another first in a series that I started for Halloween, but got sidetracked from...
I did end up liking it and it involves a town where many paranormals reside so keep that in mind for next year's challenge! ;) "

Perfect! Thanks for the tip, Susie.

message 40: by Susie (new)

Susie | 244 comments 14. Murder is Binding (A Booktown Mystery, #1) by Lorna Barrett ☆☆☆

This is first in a series and it was pretty middle of the road for me...nothing outstanding, but not terrible...hmm...as I write, I'm reconsidering my 3 stars...maybe more a 2... ;)

However I have the next one so it will probably go on my 2017 Challenge list...

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) I'm the same way, Susie. Unless I hate the first book in a series, I usually go on to try the second one (sometimes even if I hate the first one, lol). Sometimes the first ones are so slow and seem disjointed while the author is setting everything up.

message 42: by Susie (last edited Dec 10, 2016 08:38AM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 15. A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams by Ellery Adams 4 stars

This is a reread for me and I probably enjoyed it just as much this time around...one of my favorite series. The characters are all well developed and mesh well without being too eccentric...same with the story...

Rereading up #6 and then I beieve a new one is coming in 2017...excited!

Would definitely fit a couple of catecories for the 2017 Challenge...

message 43: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "15. A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams by Ellery Adams 4 stars

This is a reread for me and I probably enjoyed it just as much this time around...one of my favorite series. The ch..."

It's always such a treat to find a book like that! I've read one of her Charmed Pie Shoppe books, but didn't even know about this series. I see my library doesn't carry it. :-(

message 44: by Susie (last edited Dec 26, 2016 10:10AM) (new)

Susie | 244 comments 16. The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8) by Jennifer Chiaverini 4 stars.

One more of Jennifer Chiaverini Elm creek quilters series...not sure it's an actual cozy mystery since there is not a murder in every book, but there is mystery! Where I got my start with cozies!

17. The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3) by Ellery Adams 5 stars. Love this series!

18. A Not So Cozy Christmas (Shannon Porter Mystery, #1) by Haley Harper 1 star.
Pretty much a throw away...Great idea and plot, but no development of story or characters....and then it was over! Way too predictable...

I better squeeze in another one...don't want to end the year with that one... ;)

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) Susie wrote: "I better squeeze in another one...don't want to end the year with that one... ;) "

LOL. I hear that.