Books on the Nightstand discussion

TBR List...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandasbookbasket) I was just wondering what everyone's TBR list looks like. Do you have an imaginary list, one that is continually going and being added to in your head? Do you have a hard copy list in a notebook or just a paper you keep nearby? Do you keep a list on your computer? Is your goodreads "to read" list your only TBR list? Do you have a shelf that holds a whole bunch of books that is your physical TBR list?

What's everyone's method?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Great question Amanda...

I have the "to read" list here on Goodreads that I add things to, but I don't seem to refer to it all that often. I have a bookcase and massive piles of books next to my bed (I believe "nightcase" and "nightbrary" were thrown around as terms for the bookcase next to my bed). I often pick things to read from there... but honestly, I'm always getting new stuff from work that I have to read, that I don't get to go back to my TBR piles (real or virtual).

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Yes to all of the above.
I have stacks of books everywhere (bedroom, office, car). I have a mental list. A list on my iPhone. A list on indiebound.com. More mental lists. And it never fails that when I'm in a bookstore and want to buy something, I forget all of the books on my lists and buy something completely unexpected ;)

message 4: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 153 comments Like Ann, I also have stacks of books everywhere: on my nightstand (love the "nightbrary" term, Michael, although mine is technically a nighstand, even though it's piled high with books on the surface and one drawer is crammed full of books), beside the nightstand between it and the wall, and stacked in several piles under our king-sized bed. Our bedroom armoire holds a TV, which is surrounded with books stacked precariously on either side. It's probably a fire hazard, but we don't use the TV much, so I don't worry about it. Then there are the overflowing bookshelves scattered all over the house. I try to keep them separated into "already read" and TBR, but that doesn't always work.

I keep a small notebook in which I record books I want to buy/books I want to read and, I must say, since finding BOTN, the pages have filled MUCH more rapidly, thanks to Ann & Michael's excellent recommendations. It really comes in handy when I'm at the library or a bookstore, although unexpected treasures always seem to find their way to me.

My Goodreads list hasn't been updated in...oh...months? A year? Who has time? I'm too busy reading! :-}

message 5: by Rita (new)

Rita | 147 comments I'm like Ann. i have actual books everywhere. In an entertainment center that I improvised, put curtains on the area where the tv goes and pile books in there. I also have stacks in my bedroom.

I keep a list on goodreads, but this doesn't include books I actually own. Well, it might now, but that's not how it started. I also keep a list by using my wish list on Amazon.com and on my iPhone as well.

I agree with Bobbi, now that I've found BOTN I have a LOT more books I want to read and now I have audio books I want to listen to. i think I do as much reading about reading that I do actual reading. Did that make sense?

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 18, 2009 11:30AM) (new)

Stephanie I have multiple places for my obsessive list-making, but your posting inspired me to add my latest "I-am-book-crazy" moment to the mix.

I just finished copying and pasting my entire TBR shelf into a text document to put it on my iPod (categorized by author last name, mind you, for easy searching). Now, instead of using goodreads to create a list before going to the library, I can just grab my iPod. Fabulous!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkowalewski) | 46 comments My TBR pile is tremendous. I have books in my room, in my office, downstairs, in the bathroom and of course, a ton on my kindle.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I keep a list on Goodreads, on Amazon,and I have lists in my van, my purse, and my head. I also have stacks of books everywhere. I was in the bookstore the other day with my children, and spotted my daughter with her cell phone out. I asked her who she was texting, and she said she was texting herself, to remember what she wanted to add to her Amazon list. I thought, "Oh no! I've passed this obsession on to my children!"

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I have multiple places for my obsessive list-making, but your posting inspired me to add my latest "I-am-book-crazy" moment to the mix.

I just finished copying and pasting my entire TBR shelf int..."

I am going to borrow your iPod idea -- that is excellent.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Suzanne wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I have multiple places for my obsessive list-making, but your posting inspired me to add my latest "I-am-book-crazy" moment to the mix.

I just finished copying and pasting my ..."

I am still tweaking it - since I have never used my iPod for "document" storage, I need to keep playing around to make it right. I don't know a lot about saving things as .txt instead of .doc, but it doesn't seem to want to save my entire .doc as .txt. Maybe that is a sign that my to-read list is way too long? My iPod is trying to tell me that?

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Right now Goodreads is my only TBR list. I kind of have one on Paperbackswap too but it's not complete like on Goodreads. I have books all over the place. I don't have the room to keep every book I read unless I really, really like it or it's a classic (Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and my signed copies). My kids make fun of me because of all of the books I have. We were in the supermarket the other day and there was a table of book that were marked 50% off. My kids pushed me by the table because as they said I have enough books. :)