Libba Bray Lovers! discussion

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy > The Sweet Far Thing (only for people who have read the book!)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 5135 comments Mod
So The Sweet Far Thing is out, I'm reading it and I love it so far!! What do you guys think about it, whether you are reading it or not.

message 2: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina The ending was very sad. I would have cried if I hadn't been in so much shock. But it was the best book out of the three.

message 3: by Emma (new)

good to know!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (poemma14) | 2 comments i know! Isn't it?

message 5: by Emma (new)

I can't believe Ann leaves!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and the first winterlands bit is cool.

message 6: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina Ann leaving... to go with her family? Lots of fun going their way.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Hmmmmm maybe. Anns a little too introverted with everyone else besides Gem and Fee to have fun.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Another thing I'm wondering... whats going to happen to Pip? And of course, Kartik and Gemma. (I'm obssesed with those two!!)

message 9: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina Yes, I'm also obsessed with those two. They have to be my favorite fictional couple ever. And I love Pip, she's so odd.

message 10: by Emma (new)

lol. Really? I'm not the only one obsessed?? Wow!! Omg, I love those to together, my friends all know that. (The ones who've read it anyways.) Right Emma? lol. I love the chap were Gem takes him to the realms. BEST ROMANCE CHAPTER EVER!!

message 11: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina It was a really cute chapter. It gives the readers hope for the two of them.

message 12: by Emma (new)

I finished it and I love it! Though really mad at Libba and I love her to right now.

message 13: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina I was really disappointed with the ending. I felt like she had built up their relationship only to tear it down. I remember going to her blog after I finished the book, to see if I could make some sense of it. However, the one thing I haven't figured out, is, how is Gemma suppose to move on? How is she suppose to find love again if she's always dreaming about Kartik?

message 14: by Emma (last edited Mar 17, 2008 10:09AM) (new)

Honestly, I don't think it was teared down, I thought it was built up. Because Kartik SAVED HER!Gave is soul for hers! And I'm happy that Libba didn't give us some stupid Epiloge and instead let us decide for ourselves! And Libba was right, we lose who we love, so even though I somewhat hated it, and even though sometimes I wonder why couldn't Fowlson be trapped? I mean his love had died anyways, I still loved it. So you should come up with how she deals with it! Use your imagination!

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (MargaretG) | 1 comments The Sweet Far Thing was BY FAR the best book out of the three. I cried when Kartik save Gemma and sacrificed himself!! And it was amazingly kind for Gemma to give up her postion in the after-life to Crice. There needs to be a fourth book though, otherwise it wasn't the best of endings. Ever since the first book I loved Kartik. Him and Gemma are one of my favorite fiction couples. I was happy Fowlson turned out to be mostly good in the end. It was weird how everyone in Spence got caught up in the action - but that was cool. I hope there's going to be a movie. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but they are talking about one.

message 16: by Emma (new)

They are actually making a movie. It was amazingly kind, and it took a lot of strength. She had the decision to hide from destiny, to hide away, and she didn't, she did it, for Kartik. I really disagree with there needing to be a 4th book. I like how there is mystery, that you can decide for yoursef what happens.

message 17: by Emma (new)

My question now is: What is going to happen to Fee?

message 18: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina What do you mean whats going to happen? I think SHE will find love again. Because remember she went to Paris, and found others "like herself."

message 19: by Emma (new)

well ya, obviously she's going to find someone, but just like, what is she going to do in Paris? Be an artists model or something? What do you guys think?

message 20: by Jessalina (new)

Jessalina I guess I had assumed that she was going to be a model.

message 21: by Emma (new)

I'm really interested in what Gem is going to major in. And I really think Ann should get together with that Charlie guy. I wonder what Fee will do, wear trousers and do archery probably. And I would like to know what you think has happened to Kartik, has he gone to the world beyond the realms or can Gemma see him? I wonder what Ann will do in the theatre, and what Fee will acomplish in France, and what will Gem's life be like, and what happened to Tom and- I have a lot of questions if you haven't noticed lol, what do you guys think?

message 22: by Taylor S (last edited Mar 31, 2008 05:37PM) (new)

Taylor S Referring to a couple posts earlier on, Gem and Kartik's love was not built up JUST to tear it down. If anyone has ever read the greatest love stories collection of all time, they will know that almost all them end in tragedy. TSFT has to be on the top ten of that list.
In referral to Emma's bagillion questions :) I think that Gemma should major in something involving science, because she seems like the kind of girl to really excell in that kind of stuff, you know? Gemma can't see Kartik, but she can feel his presence, he was trapped in the tree, remember? When she sits by the tree, she can hear her name being whispered through the leaves. I think that it's him. I bet Ann will be better than Lily Trimble ever was and Fee will find love in France, however awkward that may be. I believe that Tom will kind of just stay Tom. He'll probably get married to some rich, miserable girl, poor thing. :)

message 23: by Emma (new)

lol yes I have about a bagillion questions. I think your right about everything. Though I think Gemma should major in science and do writing. I mean, her knowledge of the realms should go SOMEWHERE on earth!!

message 24: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (last edited May 29, 2008 02:39PM) (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 3724 comments Mod
I cried so hard at the end. Sobbing. Literally. I've said it's the 3rd time i've ever read, but seriously i sobbed. I was heartbroken. how could he?.... i was mad at libba at first, but i finally understood it was needed. I felt so sad about ann. gemma should go to school and learn real stuff, about literature and science and stuff, and go to america. i forget or does she do it? or is that fee? it's been a while

message 25: by Emma (new)

I completely agree. I was weeping, WEEPING! That was the very first time I ever cried because of a book. And I was sooo mad at Libba, but then I realized it was the only end that would give it justice, to leave the bittersweet taste in your mouth.

message 26: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (new)

zacktly

message 27: by Emma (new)

Why does Libba have to be such an amazing writer?

message 28: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (new)

*sniffle* i don't kno

message 29: by Emma (new)

Cause, I love Libba, but if she didn't rock so much, none of us would be crying here!

message 30: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (new)

I kno really it's like her books r perfect with adventure, romance, and tradgedy, of course. unfortunatley.

message 31: by Emma (new)

lol, we have all have to send Libba an email telling her she has to stop being so awesome, stop the madness!

message 32: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (new)

yea, we should she'll be all wtf????

message 33: by Emma (new)

lol. She'll be like...... so being awesome is...not good????

message 34: by Emma (new)

Another thing I'm wondering about....does Ann hook up with that Charlie play-wright guy? They would be perfect together! (And he's certainly not the boring Tom)

message 35: by Allie, A hopeless romantic who doesn't believe in love (new)

I think she will. she does in my imagination at least.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Ann will end up with Charlie. And I think Gemma should write a book about the realms. Maybe say its fiction so the Rackshana won't get mad, but it would seriously make a good book, cause its a bestseller here!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I kinda teared up, but it wasn't full out weeping.