Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Question regarding Gellis Duncan, Edgars, Abernathy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments Question:
Is there a connection between Gellis and Joseph Abernathy? I apologize if the answer is one that is obvious to others other than newbies like me!
I remember that she had been married several times(5x I think it was noted) Duncan, Edgars, Abernathy....

message 2: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) If memory serves, when Gellis went back in time she was the wife of a slave owner (who then became primary owner herself) and as slaves took the master's names, hers was under the name Abernathy which would probably be her current (at that time) husband. So Joe Abernathy's lineage was inferred to be traced all the way back to his ancestors on that plantation. These events happen towards the end in Voyager.

I've only read it once and the book is very rich so I could have gotten things a bit twisted but that's how I remember it lol. Maybe some of the other readers who've read it more than once can give more detail. :-)

I hope that helps!

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino (ctara) | 309 comments Rae wrote: "If memory serves, when Gellis went back in time she was the wife of a slave owner (who then became primary owner herself) and as slaves took the master's names, hers was under the name Abernathy wh..."

That's kind of what I was thinking..thanks

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments As I remember it, that is right Rae.

message 5: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) Okay cool. :-) And np!