Reading Romances discussion

Dewey's Read-a-thon Challenge!

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by (Nat) (last edited Oct 17, 2015 09:51AM) (new)

(Nat) Reading Romances (readingromances) | 113 comments Mod
deweyreadathon

As you know, I'm participating on Dewey's 24H read-a-thon and you can check my updates on this topic and on twitter! ;)

This goodreads group is for those who love historical romances - if that's you, stick around and please consider joining! If you're not a goodreads person, you can follow this group's updates on my twitter or facebook too (I also use them to share books on sale and freebies)!

HOUR 6 MINI - CHALLENGE: POWER OF LOVE

hearts

As you can see, here we're all addicted to romantic fiction! So, for this challenge I ask you to describe how a book (or books) have made you fall in love with them - and don't forget to include the name of the book, of course! To enter the giveaway click the blue button bellow and add the link to your post OR leave a comment.

giveaway

A winner, randomly drawn, will receive a pre-paid $5 Amazon Gift Card!

Fine Print:
- Ends on HOUR 24.
- OPEN INTERNATIONALLY!
- You must be a read a thon participant!
- Winners will be announced in this post
- Good Luck ;)

message 2: by Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment) (last edited Oct 17, 2015 10:08AM) (new)

Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment) (wishfulfillmentsylwia) I am falling in love with a book right now! I just started reading Jonathan Tropper's This is Where I Leave You and I love the writing style, the characters, and the descriptions that are both realistic/relateable and completely soul-crushing. That is what is making me fall in love with this book!

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (angelvelvet) | 1 comments I'm falling in love with the book Heart Sisters! It's all about how we as women need to learn to connect with each other more, but on a deeper level rather than superficial. It's so good!

message 4: by Alysyn (new)

Alysyn Reinhardt Okay, I suspect this is a common one, but it's just too good. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr! The beautiful prose makes you pause & highlight because you want to quote half this book & frame it on your wall.

message 5: by Leisha (new)

Leisha (cambridgebooklover) Of Gods and Monsters: Menoetius made me fall in love with it because it was real, it was raw, it was so... I don't know, it touched something deep in me with it's subtle emotional undertones and the difference between the hard exterior and the soft inside.

message 6: by Cloud (new)

Cloud Riser (jfjenkins) I fall in love with beautiful mystical words. Descriptions that are more than a list and ambiance that is created to paint the scene for me. I fall in love with realistic and meaningful dialogue, not simply filler fluffy words or words that no one would ever actually speak. The book that does this the most for me would be "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern.

message 7: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini I was a kid when I read Winnetou I - IV. It was a long story that slowly took me in. I remember not wanting to leave that world. When I finished it I kept carrying it around with me for a while, just not being able to let go.

message 8: by Janice (new)

Janice (Asperlea) | 1 comments My favorite book, and one I fall in love with every time, is Alice in Wonderland. It's a kids book, sure, but it's about dreams and growing into yourself and being more than you think you can be. And that the world is so much more fantastic than we can begin to realize. That's why I love it.

message 9: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 1 comments Great Expectations made me fall in love with it from page one. What did it most was Dickens's amazing characterisation. He creates the most vivid images of these characters that you just can't help but love them all, even the supposedly evil ones. Not to mention how adorable Pip is.

message 10: by Laura.125Pages (new)

Laura.125Pages (125Pages) | 1 comments Watermelon was the first "chick lit" book I read. It was so nice to have a detailed and rich story be female friendly and have a HEA. It started my love for chick lit and I still read Marian Keyes to this day.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Gatz | 1 comments Totally fallen in love with Goodnight June by Sarah Jio-- it also happens to be my current read-a-thon book.I also adore the cover of the book!
My link to my blog post: http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com...

message 12: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (stefcraftswithwoolpaperfabric) When I tried out Julia Quinn for the first time, I totally loved her book, Just Like Heaven. The banter of the Smythe-Smith cousins had me cracking up and their musical skills were hilarious.

message 13: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Piitulainen | 1 comments The Graceling Realm triology made me fall in love with it after a few chapters into the first book. So I bought the 2'd one before I even finished the first one. The characters are strong and even though the books cover a pretty long period of time, there is some true love in them that makes me read them over and over again.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass made me fall in love with fantasy and I've reread this series several times. I wanted to be Lyra, off having adventures in different worlds.

message 15: by Yasaman (new)

Yasaman (Yasaman_Hajian) The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast made me fall in love and introduced me to reading. Without this series, I wouldn't be a reader.

message 16: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1 comments Okay So I love to fall in love with new series. I mean crazed in love like I first did with the Twilight series. My latest is the Elemental Series by Brigid Kremmerer

I waited a very long time to start this series. Not sure why, I had the first book on my shelves since it came out. So I found they started to put them on audible and decided to listen to them. I was hooked. I love this series. I love that each book has its own story about one of the elemental brothers and also that the entire series has a story. I love all the elemental powers. I love all the characters. And I love all the love stories between the characters. It just totally rocks!

message 17: by (Nat) (new)

Stefanie wrote: "When I tried out Julia Quinn for the first time, I totally loved her book, Just Like Heaven. The banter of the Smythe-Smith cousins had me cracking up and their musical skills were h..."
Oh, I absolutely LOVE Julia Quinn's books! She's one of my favorite authors <3

message 18: by (Nat) (new)

Yasaman wrote: "The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast made me fall in love and introduced me to reading. Without this series, I wouldn't be a reader."

It was one of the first series I've read!

message 19: by (Nat) (new)

JennRenee wrote: "Okay So I love to fall in love with new series. I mean crazed in love like I first did with the Twilight series. My latest is the Elemental Series by Brigid Kremmerer

I waited a very long time to ..."

I need to check it out!!!

message 20: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Buelow (561bookgirl) | 3 comments I adore the KGI series by Maya Banks. I love to know that there are honorable men and strong women who will work to fight for right and for love.

message 21: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (AbigailSharpe) | 72 comments Love Julia Quinn's Bridgerton books!

I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time.

message 22: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Buelow (561bookgirl) | 3 comments Reading Lori Foster for the Readathon. I love her writing style and her characters are always strong and willing to reach out to love, even if they are scared. I love that!

message 23: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 1 comments I feel in love with Vicious by V. E. Schwab because it was raw and real. Despite having fantasy elements, it read more like a diary than a fairytale. The characters were beautifully diverse. The emotions were complex. V. E. Schwab did an incredible job making a sometimes-violent story seem beautiful.

message 24: by (Nat) (new)

Abigail wrote: "Love Julia Quinn's Bridgerton books!

I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time."

You're just like me ;)

message 25: by (Nat) (new)

Kim wrote: "Reading Lori Foster for the Readathon. I love her writing style and her characters are always strong and willing to reach out to love, even if they are scared. I love that!"

Great pick!

message 27: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (stefcraftswithwoolpaperfabric) Reading Romances wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "When I tried out Julia Quinn for the first time, I totally loved her book, Just Like Heaven. The banter of the Smythe-Smith cousins had me cracking up and their musi..."
I've been wanting to read the Bridgerton series. It's been raved about.

message 28: by (Nat) (new)

Stefanie wrote: "Reading Romances wrote: "Stefanie wrote: "When I tried out Julia Quinn for the first time, I totally loved her book, Just Like Heaven. The banter of the Smythe-Smith cousins had me c..."

You should! It's a must read for historical romance fans! ;)
Start with The Duke and I!
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Woods (Nicole_Woods65) | 1 comments "Clockwork Princess" by Cassandra Clare- The setting, the loveable characters, the storyline, & the pairings had me falling. <3 Also the fact that two of the main characters love books & there are quotes before each chapter & who doesn't love Bridget's morbid ballads? ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This is Where I Leave You (other topics)
Of Gods and Monsters: Menoetius (other topics)
Winnetou I - IV (other topics)
Great Expectations (other topics)
Watermelon (other topics)
More...