Women's Fiction authors discussion

Comments (showing 51-66 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (MerylDavidsLandau) | 7 comments Thanks for the heads up, David! I looked at their website and I am too late for this year--it's for books published by Feb 2011, and mine comes out in May. But it's great to see awards specifically for uplifting books, and there is a women's fiction category so that will be perfect for my novel for next year!

Meryl Davids Landau
author of the spiritual women's novel, Downward Dog, Upward Fog, available in May.
Read excerpts at DownwardDogUpwardFog.com

message 52: by Tameka Tea' (new)

Tameka Tea' Strong | 1 comments Well, I am new to "Good Reads" period... I was surfing through the site and saw this group and decided to join...Were you all excited when you published your 1st novel...or was it a roller coaster of emotions? My 1st will be released next month...and this experience is one to be remembered (wow)

message 53: by Jess (new)

Jess Chambers (jesschambers) Welcome, Tameka, and congratulations on your upcoming release! Yes, I went through a real rollercoaster of emotions with my debut release. Of course I was very excited, but then I had a completely unexpected attack of nerves, worrying what would happen if no one actually bought the book, or it got really poor reviews. As it happens, I've had some wonderful feedback so needn't have fretted.

Here's wishing you a ton of success with yours. What is the novel about?

message 54: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Fitzgerald (goldenmean) Winner of the prestigious Mom's Choice Award, and Finalist in Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year competition and an Amazon Breakthrough Novel Quarterfinals Award
Deep in the snows of the Swiss Alps during her winter break, young Caroline Stillhart enters a mysterious world in which a master teacher, a woman of wisdom and insight, reveals to her the true nature of human being and the universe. Caroline experiences an awakening of heart, mind and consciousness as she meets the love of her life and with new-found understanding encounters a series of challenges and surprising adventures. Winter Break is a fast-paced novel that also provides thoughtful and reflective guidance for a self-reliant, useful and happy life.
Winter Break: A Luminous Journey into Wisdom and Love

message 55: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Brady (KarlaB27) | 7 comments Kindle Giveaway!

Originally self-published, The Bum Magnet will be re-released by Simon & Schuster Tomorrow (29 March)!!

To commemorate the occasion, I'm hosting my 2nd Annual Kindle 3G Giveaway! Plus, you get a $25 Kindle gift card to start your book collection!

Last year, a member of our armed forces serving overseas won the contest. Who will win this year?

30 Days, 30 Chances to Win!

Correctly answer one (1) of 30 questions within the 30 days to enter.

Email answer to KindleGiveAway@authorklbrady.com.

The more questions you answer, the better your chances to win.

One entry per day, per person.

Prize worth $214.

Drawing Held on April 30th!!

Questions will be posted daily on Twitter @KarlaB27 -- and--

My facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/KL-Brad...

Good Luck to All Who Enter!!

message 56: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Di Mattia (SebastianDiMattia) | 8 comments Hello everyone,
I am very happy to have discovered a place for authors.
I am the son of immigrant parents who arrived from Enna Sicily. I grew up in Philadelphia Pa. and was educated in the Philadelphia Catholic School System. I wrote my first story at the age of eleven and have dabbled with writing ever since.

I've spent most of my working life working as a crane operator on the waterfront unloading vessels from all over the world. I spent an additional eight years working for the U.S. Navy rebuilding aircraft carriers and destroyers.

I now live in sunny Florida with my lovely wife of twenty years. I usually write short stories, however the characters in my latest story wanted to keep going, and since I am mereley the author, who am I to say no. 119,000 words later I am happy to say I am now an Indie publisher on Kindle and Nook. My next book in this series will be out by summer. (I hope)
I would be honored if any of you would be willing to have a peek at the sample.
Starlight Over Pemberley
It is Pride and Prejudice fan-fiction with the addition of a new character. An accidental time traveler. It also includes an appearance by Jane Austen.
Thank you for your consideration,
Sebastian

message 57: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Sebastian wrote: "Hello everyone,
I am very happy to have discovered a place for authors.
I am the son of immigrant parents who arrived from Enna Sicily. I grew up in Philadelphia Pa. and was educated in the Phil..."

Your book looks interesting, Sebastian. Regency books seem to do well. My Regency has done the best out of my books. I hope you have lots of success with it. Laurel http://aussieauthorsatwork.blogspot.com

message 58: by Donna (new)

Donna Butler | 4 comments Hi there!

Please check out my novel, Manifesting Daddy, a raw, honest look at one woman's journey from the depths of depression to a realization of life's "magical" possibilities.
Melanie Brodie is suffering from one mean case of depression. She’s convinced she’s a total loser who only a daddy could love. Trouble is, her father’s been dead for decades. Her shrink, a young, potty- mouthed grad student and her hippie dippie, best friend, Juniper, do their best to pull her back from the edge. But it’s a combination of spiritual growth and a little help from “Daddy” that saves the day.
Manifesting Daddy is available as an ebook at:

http://www.amazon.com/Manifesting-Dad...

and :

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mani...

Thanks!

message 59: by Donna (new)

Donna Butler | 4 comments Hi Meryl. It's nice to know someone else is trying their hand at women's fiction with a spiritual influence. I've sometimes referred to mine as New Age fiction. It's been a challenge to find the right audience and interest reviewers. But Goodreads seemed like a step in the right direction.

message 60: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (MerylDavidsLandau) | 7 comments Donna wrote: "Hi Meryl. It's nice to know someone else is trying their hand at women's fiction with a spiritual influence. I've sometimes referred to mine as New Age fiction. It's been a challenge to find the ri..."

Hi Donna:
Your book looks interesting. Glad to see we're helping to create the genre of spiritual women's fiction.

My book comes out next month. Just got the preview of the review ForeWord is going to run, and they called Downward Dog, Upward Fog, "an inspirational gem." I'm certainly hoping women readers agree!

message 61: by M.A. (last edited Apr 12, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

M.A. Stacie (MAStacie) | 2 comments Hi everyone!

I'm a newly released author. My book, Unwritten Rules, was released in January and has received some great feedback on here!

Summary:

Elle is an energetic, independent woman with a successful business and new start in the big city. The bustling streets of New York are not what she expected, yet she finds the freedom exhilarating. One interaction at the mailboxes with her shy, strikingly handsome neighbor is all it takes to turn the strong- willed young woman into a bumbling mess.

Jonah Quinn is withdrawn for good reason; he harbors a dark secret. He lives his life in the shadows, playing his music in late night bars and hiding himself from everyone but Elle's cat. His tattoos bear his pain while his music is his outlet, but it is his silence that keeps his shame at bay.

Can one night of passion between the two of them lead to more than casual glances exchanged at their mailboxes? Will Elle be strong enough to help Jonah with his personal demons. And will Jonah break his silence regarding a past that haunts him?

The Rules for this relationship are Unwritten. A story of longing, love, and forgiveness.

It can be purchased on Amazon, Foogaza, Lulu & direct from TWCS Publishing House.

All links are in my website http://www.mastacie.com or my Good reads profile!

Thank you!
xx

message 62: by Jean (new)

Jean Grant (goodreadscomjeangrant) | 1 comments Hi Everyone,
So exciting to read all those great titles. My novel is The Burning Veil--set in Saudi Arabia where I was a journalist. This seems a marvelously helpful site--thanks to David for telling us about LivingNowAwards.

message 63: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Solal Hi all,
How fun to find a place just for us, writers of women's fiction (would they ever have called Jane Austen chick lit?)
Am particularly interested to see Sebastian's Jane Austen inspired fiction! My own novel, In the Past Imperfect, is a modern version of Persuasion, so we must be kindred spirits!

Would love to hear group members' thoughts on the novel, the struggles of self-publishing and just writing generally!

Best,
Isabelle

http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Past-Imp...

message 64: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (MerylDavidsLandau) | 7 comments <>

I don't consider self-publishing to be a struggle. I consider it an adventure! It's so fun to see my work pass through the many stages, from manuscript to physical book finally actually available on Amazon that women are going to read!

As someone who believes strongly that our thoughts are very powerful--see something as a struggle, and it's harder to find the energy and enthusiasm to take steps--I urge everyone to evaluate how they see the process. I don't mean to pick on any one person: I've just seen self-publishing described as a struggle, long shot and uphill battle too many times, on this site and others.

To all authors, I hope you have a thrilling, exciting, and enthusiastic day getting word of your book out there!

Regards,
Meryl Davids Landau
author of the spiritual women's novel, Downward Dog, Upward Fog
"An inspirational gem"--ForeWord Reviews

message 65: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 33 comments Hi Meryl,
I didn't see independently publishing my novel as a struggle. It was a pleasure after years of trying to get published the traditional way. There are lots of advantages to publishing yourself. One of the big ones is timing - a traditionally published book can take eighteen months or more to be released. Mine took two months from start to finish. You also have control of the interior fonts, style, spacing, etc. and your cover art. The biggest challenges are distribution and marketing. But since more books are purchased online than in bookstores,and with eBooks gaining favor, distribution is less of an issue. As for marketing, you have to be prepared to spend as much time promoting your book as you did writing it.

Thanks for asking,
Judith Marshall
Author of "Husbands May Come and Go but Friends are Forever," recently optioned for the big screen

message 66: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (MerylDavidsLandau) | 7 comments Judith:
Glad to hear it! I agree that self-publishing has many pleasures. And some of the harder parts, especially marketing, are things most authors have to do themselves these days, even if they have a traditional publisher!

Good luck with the movie option--so exciting!!

Meryl Davids Landau
author of the spiritual women's novel, Downward Dog, Upward Fog
"An inspirational gem"--ForeWord Reviews

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Deception Past (other topics)
Confessions of a Liberal Lover (other topics)
Sherry and Narcotics (other topics)
Husbands May Come and Go But Friends Are Forever (other topics)
Village of Sycamore (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Franki deMerle (other topics)
Judith Marshall (other topics)