Brain Science Podcast discussion

Neuroeconomics: an Applied Information Theory
This topic is about Neuroeconomics
Recommended Reading > Neuroeconomics: an Applied Information Theory

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 313 comments Mod
I am curious why you called your book Neuroeconomicss when there an entire field with that name and quite a few books that have already used that title.

It seems an odd choice given that your book description never mentions economics.

One of the best known books in this area is Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely. I interviewed Ariely in Episode 19 of Books and Ideas.

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Hi Ginger,

Thank you for your question. The idea is essentially that the chemical resources upon which the brain relies are a kind of currency, of which there is a finite supply and a number of competing demands. The book investigates this and deals with some claims about how that currency is used and about the system in which it is involved.

I have read Ariely's book, and in fact I list it in the reference section of my bibliography. So far as I have seen, the field as it exists today, including the contributions of Predictably Irrational, is almost entirely concerned with the neuroeconomics of decision making.

I have taken this further and I demonstrate how this principle accounts for a great deal more than that. I discuss the neuroeconomic influence on the entire mind, from perception through to behavior, and I have also paid some attention to conceptual neuroeconomics, to cooperative neuroeconomics and to the neuroeconomics of trauma and recovery.

Most importantly however, in the book I put forward a model which depicts what I believe to be an accurate depiction of that principle's underlying mechanics. I define a criteria for the categorization of neural machinery and place specific pieces (such as I have been able to while working in isolation) within those categories and show the relationship between them.

In short, while there have been others who have correctly discerned the nature of the principle at work and and have demonstrated its existence by experiment, my book concerned with, and makes claims about, how that process is carried out.

Ultimately the portmanteau itself is not a difficult one to come up with and, while it is a term that I certainly can't claim to have coined, I hope I have gone farther in the pursuit of its definition.

I sure hope you'll read the book. :)