Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Books your men have enjoyed...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I am not even sure if I have this in the right folder. But anyway, ladies, what are some of the book the men in your life have enjoyed? The ones you were able to talk them into reading.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL. Good question, Lenore. I know I've introduced two non-reading guys to reading with Across the Nightingale Floor. It's like one of those Chinese period films put to writing, and her style's beautiful yet concise.

message 3: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments My boyfriend somehow got suckered into going to the beach with just his family. Even the older men need there video game fix, and he left the x-box at home. HA! So when he wanted something to do I suggested he try what I like to do, read. And you never know he might pick up ideas along the way ;)

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments LOL! A lot of guys could do with reading a few romances. If they only knew that was the way to our hearts. ;)

message 5: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments Ah yes. Only he seems too chicken ;) what a shame...

message 6: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I couldn't convince any of 'em to read a PNR. Too overly macho macho. Best I managed was I got my non-reader ex to read Christopher Moore's Dirty Job, Lamb, and The Stupidest Angel and he was a big fan. Unfortunately, I don't think he's read another book since. Sigh.

My coworker is on my GR friends list and I'm waiting for him to accidentally pick a PNR from my shelves, thinking it's UF. He's come close. I think it's only a matter of time...not that he'll admit it if he does!

message 7: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Jul 14, 2009 12:02AM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments My husband mainly reads epic sci/fi and limits his interaction with my books to the back covers or random bits of smut which he likes to read aloud in a mocking tone. ;)

However, I have convinced him to read a few. I first attempted PNR with J.R. Ward's Dark Lover was too smutty for him and he gave up about 1/3 of the way through. I then accepted if he was going to read any, it was going to have to be from my UF shelves. He finished and enjoyed Patricia Briggs Moon Called, though felt no need to carry on with the series. He's read the first two of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels and Christopher Moore's Practical Demonkeeping and liked them both. Last night he finished the first book in Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, The Devil You Know, and seemed to really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I only own it and book 4, Thicker Than Water (which I won a signed copy of a couple of months back), so I'm going to go order books 2 & 3, as I want to encourage him to keep reading them. (and I've heard they're great and will get around to reading them myself one day).

message 8: by Chrissy315 (new)

Chrissy315 Jones | 12 comments My husband love Jim Butcher The Dresdan FIles. He currently reading Fantasy series Jim Butcher has out. He also likes Simon Greene. I have tried to get my husband to read one of my books but so far unsuccessful. Maybe one day...

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 56 comments Hello. My husband also loves the Dresden Files. (I've tried to coax him into reading the Chronicles of Calderon, as well, but with no success.) He really likes epics, so Jordan, Goodkind and the Harry Potter books are all on his list.
He also a big SFF fan, so his fave list begins with early Heinlein and moves along from there. I just can't get him to try just one little PNR, though...*grin*

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett (Going Postal is a good place to start non-fantasy folks), Jasper Fforde and I second Simon R. Green.

I'd LOVE to know if anyone has convinced the menfolk to read PNR. I'd be ever so impressed.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments Ooh yeah, if we're talking outside of the UF/PNR genres, then my husband and I are also big fans of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde.

I've got a Simon R. Green on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but have suggested it to him. I'm basically just pushing male authors to my husband right now, as I think I'll have better luck.

message 12: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Which Green? My friend's hubby liked the Deathstalker series. I've been working on the Nightside books now and loving em. Lots of Doctor Who love coming from Mr. Green. His Secret Histories series is good too.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I've got the first Nightside one. I keep waiting for a monthly challenge that's all male authors which would allow me to knock out a bunch of books on my shelf that I've wanted to read but haven't yet got around to. ;)

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I know what you mean. I haven't done a challenge in forever because I've been on an all UF streak!

message 15: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments True Blood inspired my husband and another male friend to pick up the Sookie Stackhouse series, and so far they're enjoying it.

Besides that, it's mostly limited to mocking. :-)

message 16: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Oh, if they like Sookie, make them read the Cassie Palmer series! Action-packed!

message 17: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I don't know if he will ever read...*sigh* But maybe I could get him interested in Sookie. Just maybe...

message 18: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Lol

You should totally try Dirty Job on him. My ex is a sports fanatic, picks on me for loving sci-fi and fantasy, and thinks my reading habit is weird and doesn't open anything other than a newspaper. But Dirty Job, he DEVOURED.

Going Postal by Pratchett is also good--satirical look at monopolies and telecommunications.

What floats his boat? I'm sure one of us can manage to come up with something!

message 19: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments He refuses to read so I have no idea. He is one of those guys that would rather watch the sports network and talk on the phone all day rather than try something new. I go to the baseball, basketball, football, etc, games. Pick up a book already! LOL

message 20: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Sounds like my lil sports fanatic. Even though I had success, it was crazy short-lived. The other day, I told him to read one paragraph of Nightingale's Lament...he got so engrossed he read 7 pages.

And then firmly denied actually finding it interesting.

"Dude, you read 7 pages...I told you to read ONE paragraph!"

"Well, he hadn't escaped yet."

"See, so you were interested!"

"No. Not at all. I just had to find out how he got out."

Oh, the logic. Sigh. Can't win for losing.

message 21: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) | 528 comments I know it's crazy! Men are so stubborn.