SF/F Read Alongs discussion

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
Read Alongs > The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lisa (deargeekplace) | 549 comments Mod
Adding a topic here for the SciFi Month Read Along I'd like to run in November, which I posted about here:

http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...

Schedule is below, and I'm still looking for co-hosts if anyone's willing! I thought I'd take the first week, but this is open to negotiation...

And I went for Friday post dates because we normally post the usual Read Along blogs at the start of a week, and I didn't want to clash too hard with anything else we might be reading around then. Hope this works for folks!

Week 1 (Friday, November 6th): “Transit” to “Port Coriol” (95 pages)
Week 2 (Friday, November 13th): “Port Coriol” to “The Last War” (110 pages)
Week 3 (Friday, November 20th): “The Last War” to “Heresy” (107 pages)
Week 4 (Friday, November 27th): “Heresy” to end (90 pages)

message 2: by James (new) - added it

James Witherspoon | 4 comments I'll definitely be participating in this read-along. Don't think I'll host however, because I'll be doing NaNoWriMo in November as well.

message 3: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (conflicteddesires) | 3 comments I would love to participate in this one! :D

James wrote: "I'll definitely be participating in this read-along. Don't think I'll host however, because I'll be doing NaNoWriMo in November as well."

Not a problem! Glad to have you.

Mogsy (MMOGC) (mmogc) | 40 comments Oh this book just recently made it onto my to-read list too, thanks to you, Lisa! My blog is also taking part in Sci-Fi Month so I'd love to do this read along if I can, though I will have to check in again closer to November. I think I will be doing NaNoWriMo as well.

message 6: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anya (starsanddragons) | 155 comments Mod
Oh now I'm conflicted, maybe I'll read along but not post answers since my Fridays are booked? ;-)

There's always my comments, and/or Twitter!

Mogsy & Shannon - yay, glad to have you both! If either of you would like to host, just let me know. There are a couple of weeks still open. :)

Anya wrote: "Oh now I'm conflicted, maybe I'll read along but not post answers since my Fridays are booked? ;-)"

Meant to address this earlier, but Important Note! The whole post-on-Fridays thing is not meant to be set in stone, as I completely understand if some folks have those days booked for blogging. I'll be sticking to them for the sake of my own schedule, but it's totally cool if you want to post on a different day!

message 10: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good point! I'll just do Saturday's :)

message 11: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

For the banner, what cover should I use?

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

The newer one, please! And thank you. :)

message 13: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here is the banner! http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

And I just got my kindle copy, super excited :D

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay!! Thank you. Can't wait! :D

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

There is still a hosting spot open for this, if anybody's interested in taking it?

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have posted the finalised schedule! Looky here:

http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi everyone! Just a quick reminder/request as we gear up for this Read Along - if you'd like to receive the weekly emails for this one, please drop me a note to make sure I have your email address! You can ping me at lisa@overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk.

Getting really excited for this one! :)

message 18: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

You're planning to cross-post here right? :)

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am, yes. I'm just not sure if everyone who's signed up is in this group. Bases must be covered! :)

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK! So here are my questions regarding the first section of the book. Also, massive thanks to all of you for signing up! was really nervous about running a read along for the first time, so getting any interest at all was a win. You're all fabulous and I can't wait to get your take on this book. :D

Questions are below, under the spoiler tag.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

According to the schedule should we read through Port Coriol or stop at that chapters start?

Also OMG I love this book

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

No, Port Coriol is the starting point for next week. ;)

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments I'm really enjoying it so far, too.

I think you stop before reading Port Coriol. I think Port Coriol is part of week 2, which we're hosting at http://Galleywampus.com. We'll cross-post and send out the questions via email, too.

message 24: by Galleywampus - (last edited Nov 05, 2015 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments Aaaaand, Lisa beat me by 19 hours. I may need to refresh this tab more often. Ha ha!

imyril | 310 comments Mod
Week 1 post up here: http://imyril.livejournal.com/185204....

I look forward to reading everyone else's when I get off my morning conf calls :)

Sharry (xsharryx) | 8 comments Ooo, yes, my post is up, too! I'm really enjoying the ride on the Wayfarer so far. I wish it were all real :P https://xalwaysdreamx.wordpress.com/2...

message 29: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

Most of you already found it, but here's my post: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

I'm going to be slow commenting around, sorry!

Oh, stars - the trouble is STOPPING reading!

Sharry (xsharryx) | 8 comments Imyril wrote: "Oh, stars - the trouble is STOPPING reading!"

Haha, as the weeks pass by, this is going to get harder and harder to do!

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Imyril wrote: "Oh, stars - the trouble is STOPPING reading!"

I'm halfway through at this point, and itching to keep going! I'm honestly surprised I haven't actually finished it...

Last week I had another book-related reading deadline so I could pad it out. I am now forcefully reminding myself I have other books on my shelf and trying to push myself into alternating. But oooooooooh...

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments We're planning on posting up on Friday. I'll have the questions up tomorrow, or possibly later tonight. I had a hard time stopping, too! But I did it. It helped that I then picked up Red Rising for the first time. Whoa.

And I'll cross post here.

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments Special thanks to Lisa for allowing us to be involved in this readalong. It has been a fun experience, and the book fills the hole (at least for me) left by Firefly's early demise. So fun! Really fun.

Questions posted under the SPOILER tag.

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just hit the section on evolutionary convergence and feel the need to link this article since there are ways of testing evolutionary hypotheses ha http://devosoft.org/using-artificial-...

>34 Ooh, I have a copy of Red Rising. Good call. Distraction coming up ;)

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments Imyril wrote: ">34 Ooh, I have a copy of Red Rising. Good call. Distraction coming up ;)"

I sometimes have a hard time with first-person, present-tense. But Red Rising didn't bother me. The characters aren't as likable as, for example, those in The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, but I'm fine with that. As long as there are redeeming qualities.

It is a dark, angst-ridden, often brutal read.

Galleywampus - (galleywampus) | 6 comments Week 2 is live at Galleywampus HERE.

Hurray! Week 2 post over here.

Sharry (xsharryx) | 8 comments Great questions, Chris! Posted my thoughts here

message 42: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Week 2 post is here!

message 43: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just realized that I probably didn't pick the right cover for the banner, sorry! I got confused by the release dates listed on Goodreads, haha.

My week 2 will be up tomorrow: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings....

message 45: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Williams | 84 comments Imyril wrote: "Hurray! Week 2 post over here."
'I loved that the robbery gave Rosemary an unexpected opportunity to shine' - exactly - I loved that as well. Rosemary finally had her shining moment and I was pleased for her - not to mention getting certain things off her chest - that must have been a relief (especially Jenks reaction).

I'm never sure if my comments on all your feeds don't post or disappear into moderation queues (I know my blog has eaten at least Sharry's comments one week - grrr, must get round to porting over to Wordpress), but I'm hoping they reach you - I'm really enjoying reading everyone's slightly different takes each week!

message 47: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Williams | 84 comments Imyril wrote: "I'm never sure if my comments on all your feeds don't post or disappear into moderation queues (I know my blog has eaten at least Sharry's comments one week - grrr, must get round to porting over t..."

Hi, I couldn't post on your site for some reason - just kept failing - which is why I left a comment as above.

message 48: by imyril (last edited Nov 15, 2015 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

...yep, definitely time to get off LJ. Sharry had the same problem last week :(

(needless to say, the settings all -claim- that anybody can post. Oh, LJ, you've aged so badly)

message 49: by Anya, Dragonmaster (new) - rated it 5 stars

Your comment got caught in my spam, but I saved it! I couldn't figure out how to comment on LJ last week, so sorry! I'll try again ha

message 50: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK! Just in case anyone didn't get them, here are this week's questions for Part 3 (from Claire):

1. There is a lot of focus on some of the different alien races in this section, from Dr Chef recounting the story of his people's decline and Sissix introducing Rosemary to her families, to the surprise visit from the Aeluons and the much less welcome search by the Quelin. What are your thoughts on the various beliefs systems we encounter? Does anything specific pique your interest more than the rest?

2. Ashby gets the chance to give Pei a tour of his ship and introduce her to his crew, meanwhile Jenks and Lovey decide not to risk transferring the AI into a body just yet, and Rosemary initiates a relationship of sorts with Sissix. Were you happy to see any of these developments, or not so fussed?

3. Cloning technology exists and is used in many sci-fi universes, but the GC does not look kindly on it and it is abomination to the Quelin. Did the reveal of Corbin's nature change your view of the character?

4. Each chapter told a different and fairly self-contained story, without any big cliffhangers from one to the next. How did you feel about the pacing of the story so far? Are you satisfied with how long the long journey is taking or are you impatient for the crew to finally get to their destination and do some tunnelling?

« previous 1