Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > Defining PNR (or UF)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 13, 2009 11:08AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Would I be correct in saying that Silhouette Nocturne series books would be considered PNR? I got some that have people seeing dead things, demon hunters, vampires, and shape-shifters. I have a Silhouette Bombshell series book Possessed that has the dead speaking through her. (I'm sorting through books this weekend I got in a $2/bag sale). Assuming since these are put out by Harlequin/Silihouette they have the traditional HEA ending, however I won't really know til I read them. I was just asking since I'm sure others here are more familiar with the series.

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Jul 13, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Well it doesnt matter the content of the book. Meaning, it could be all of the above (dead things, demon hunters, vampires and shifters) and be either PNR or UF.

What makes PNR is the HEA.

Even in UF you will find romantic interests, but if the book doesnt revolve around the guy getting the girl (or girl getting the guy) then its UF :D

Some books I have read have blurred the lines so much that its confusing lol

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think because these are by Silhouette/Harlequin the HEA should be guaranteed. I don't think I've ever read a Harlequin where they didn't end up together, no matter series of theirs it was in. I'm just not used to reading books with the paranormal elements to them, but I found these Nocturne books in the stuff I got this weekend and thought they might be considered PNR.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I think that's probably a safe bet, Briansgirl. :) Harlequin is pretty much the standard for "romance", so it's pretty safe to assume they'll be romance novels, and if they contain paranormal elements, then yes, they would fit the definition of PNR.

But I'm not familiar with that particular book/series. I don't think I've ever read anything put out by Harlequin, though I think they have a division called HQN (at leaset I assumed it was part of Harlequin, maybe it's completely unrelated) that puts out paranormal romance. The Gena Showalter book I'm reading right now is put out by them.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jul 13, 2009 01:37PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments Yes, those are PNR books.

Silhouette Nocture is Harlequins' response to the popularity of paranormal romance.

As their ad says:

Get the perfect combination of passion and paranormal with our Silhouette Nocturne and Nocturne Bites series.

Nocturne stories deliver a dark, very sexy read that entertain readers and take them from everyday life to an atmospheric, complex, paranormal world filled with characters struggling with life and death issues. These stories are fast-paced, action-packed and with a strong level of sensuality. Nocturne features stories of vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves, psychic powers, etc. set in contemporary times.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Yz, you know everything! You're like the PNR goddess.

message 7: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments LOL...

Considering that I haven't read a serial romance (Harlequin, Silhouette, etc), PNR or not, in a long, long time...that is just funny.

Still, I like to know what are available for my reading pleasure...if I ever finished all the full-length PNR novels in my TBR shelf..LOL

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Yz wrote: "Still, I like to know what are available for my reading pleasure...if I ever finished all the full-length PNR novels in my TBR shelf..LOL"

That's totally going to happen.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think you're right that Harlequin is part of HQN because my son is signed up for Harlequin's Teen Panel and as a prerelease review book to read they sent him Intertwined by Gena Showalter.

And anyone interested in reading at least one Nocture book without buying it, as part of their 60th Anniversary year Harlequin is giving out 16 free ebooks, one for each of the various series that they produce. Just go to their website, http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/ to download. The free Nocture book is Kiss Me Deadly by Michele Hauf.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Oh great find Briansgirl! Thanks :D

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Your welcome. I downloaded all 16. I have to read ebooks on my pc so I don't do it often, but can't say no to free books. lol

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kiss Me Deadly (other topics)
Possessed (other topics)