The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Syfy promises a return to space opera at last, with Ascension

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6903 comments Mod
Apparently they are doing some new show called Ascension which focuses on a generation ship.

via i09

message 2: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Also part BSG, part Downton Abbey? ...Huh? Okay. I'll go with it.

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments Syfy should hire the 'Star Trek Continues' people. It can't cost that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOpm...

message 4: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments I second "Star Trek Continues". I would LOVE to watch a new generation of Star Trek on the small screen again. <3

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Bring back Farscape, dammit.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

+1

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

Noooooooo!! Please leave it be so my fondness of it is not tarnished.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments I won't play the Firefly card.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Tamahome wrote: "I won't play the Firefly card."

Its the only card worth playing.

No more Star Trek please for gods sake.
also, I'm just saying, No more bad takes on the X-men (were not x-men just weird angsty mutants with powers.)

message 10: by PaksGeneral (new)

PaksGeneral | 4 comments This Ascension thing sounds like it could be something worth watching. It would be nice if it were a bit gritty. Kind of like bsg. I'd be down with that.

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I like Star Trek and Firefly as much as the next guy (okay, around these parts I probably like them not as much) but I'd like to see a new franchise in a new universe be awesome and succeed.

message 12: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 8 comments @Tamahome @Keidy I've been wondering for years why they never did a Starfleet Academy show. That seems like the next logical story in that universe.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul | 19 comments Dara wrote: "I like Star Trek and Firefly as much as the next guy (okay, around these parts I probably like them not as much) but I'd like to see a new franchise in a new universe be awesome and succeed."

I'm all for this. We need something new. Not Star Trek version 12 or Star Gate 6. We did have Fringe for awhile, but that's been gone for some time.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Eng | 5 comments I'd love to see a movie or a TV show about Miles Vorkosigan!

message 15: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Adrienne wrote: "@Tamahome @Keidy I've been wondering for years why they never did a Starfleet Academy show. That seems like the next logical story in that universe."

I KNOW!!! I would LOVE to watch something of that sort! There's so much potential for that without all of that teen angst that high school dramas deal with. It would be something completely original as none of the Star Trek universes go through any of the schooling done intensively and with dealing with aliens and protocols and all kinds of weird shit that comes up with all of it, it could be an amazingly complex story. They are the future of Starfleet after all! XD

message 16: by Tamahome (last edited Mar 16, 2014 04:50PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments Starring Wil Wheton!

message 17: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments @Tamahome: YES! Starring Wil Wheaton!!! XD

message 18: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 8 comments @Tamahome @Keidy As a professor!

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments And Ashley Judd.

message 20: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments @Adrienne @Tamahome: YES and YES! Someone should get on top of this. Just saying. ^_^

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments You guys call yourselves nerds? Everyone knows Wesley dropped out of the Academy to smoke peyote with space-Indians.

message 22: by Christopher (new)

Christopher B. | 56 comments This seems like a step in the right direction away from all their reality show bullshit. I would like to see a better conclusion for Stargate Universe though. I also think there should be something for Star Trek with it's 50th Anniversery coming up. Plus shouldn't Doctor Who be on this channel technically speaking as well as Grimm and a few other shows spread out over the mainstream channels. I am glad they have Haven and as much as I like wrestling it does not belong on this channel.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 176 comments Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

Thats my vote. Rumor has it there is going to be a movie....we can only hope.

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments It's syfy so no one should get their hopes up.

If it's really a generation ship, then it's not like it's going to be visiting multiple worlds, right? The show is either set in deep space (when some accident happens) or just when they're entering their new home and there are generations of people who've never stepped foot outside the spaceship ...

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments I guess BSG was an accident...

message 26: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Tamahome wrote: "I guess BSG was an accident..."

Well they sure didn't have a plan.

message 27: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6903 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "I guess BSG was an accident..."

Well they sure didn't have a plan."

They didn't?

message 28: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

I read an article a week or so ago that there are discussions to do a new series in the Farscape universe. It would take place about 19 years after Peacekeeper Wars and John and Aeryn's son would be the main protagonist. The premise would be that John and Aeryn hid D'argo (their son's name if you've forgotten) on Earth to keep him away from forces that might be after him but now those forces have found him.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/2...

message 29: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 8 comments @Christopher As much as I liked Atlantis, I thought Stargate Universe was the best of the Stargates. I was sad to see it go!

message 30: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments I want whatever this is.

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher B. | 56 comments Adrienne wrote: "@Christopher As much as I liked Atlantis, I thought Stargate Universe was the best of the Stargates. I was sad to see it go!"

I agree with you and liked both as well. I also liked how they ended Atlantis by wrapping it all up in a neat little ball. Universe was left open ended.

message 32: by Christopher (new)

Christopher B. | 56 comments Rik wrote: "Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

I read an article a week or so ago that there are discussions to do a new series in the Farscape universe. It would take place about 19 years after Peac..."

I want to see this happen on SyFy

message 33: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Tamahome wrote: "I want whatever this is.

"

I saw this picture on io9 yesterday and it baffled me. Logically, why would she be jumping like that while shooting two guns? I know it's promotional shots but it doesn't make a lick of sense.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Dara wrote: "why would she be jumping like that while shooting two guns?"

Because....SHE CAN :)

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6376 comments Maybe someone tried to shoot a rocket at her legs from behind. (It's from a calendar.)

message 36: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Dara wrote: "I saw this picture on io9 yesterday and it baffled me. Logically, why would she be jumping like that while shooting two guns? I know it's promotional shots but it doesn't make a lick of sense. "

Obviously she's a superhero whose power is rocket farts. She has to extend her legs to the side for stabilization.

message 37: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Oh, I see. Jumping on a trampoline with pretend guns might be fun.

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark Maxwell (markjmaxwell) | 9 comments Christopher wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "@Christopher As much as I liked Atlantis, I thought Stargate Universe was the best of the Stargates. I was sad to see it go!"

I agree with you and liked both as well. I also liked..."

+1 for Stargate Universe. There were just too many unanswered questions the way they left it hanging!

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth (evilpoptartarmy) | 19 comments are they also going to go back to spelling sci fi correctly? :p

i didn't see stargate universe. i've been meaning to netflix it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. i miss o'neil though. we need more characters like him on tv.

message 40: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 31 comments Sean wrote: "Bring back Farscape, dammit."

I second that!

message 41: by Dalton (new)

Dalton Wolf (DaWolf) | 2 comments If it's good, I hope the show makes it to netflix. I've been boycotting syfy until they turn their programming issues around.

message 42: by Christopher (new)

Christopher B. | 56 comments Dalton wrote: "If it's good, I hope the show makes it to netflix. I've been boycotting syfy until they turn their programming issues around."

If you support the shows that turn around their programming issues and boycott the ones that are wrong with the channel that is a better way for them to get the message.

message 43: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Mark wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "@Christopher As much as I liked Atlantis, I thought Stargate Universe was the best of the Stargates. I was sad to see it go!"

I agree with you and liked both a..."

I liked SGU well enough but too many shows, too little time at that time and I got behind. Then I heard it ended on a mega unresolved cliffhanger and I haven't been willing to catch up.

message 44: by Dalton (new)

Dalton Wolf (DaWolf) | 2 comments Christopher wrote: "Dalton wrote: "If it's good, I hope the show makes it to netflix. I've been boycotting syfy until they turn their programming issues around."

If you support the shows that turn around their progra..."

I hear you, Christopher. But there are simply not enough 'good shows' to make this worth my while. And that is the point. Over time they've made a clearly intentional change from good, deep sci-fi shows to mindless 'reality' crap and extremely low budget poorly written homemade movies.

I sent mails to syfy explaining my boycott, and to many of the advertisers explaining that I was boycotting their goods as well until syfy makes better programming choices(because they are supporting those choices). It's not much, and may sound petty, but as a consumer, the boycott and e-mail are my greatest and pretty much my ownly powers.

message 45: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments SGU ended very well, IMO. They knew there was a good chance they wouldn't be renewed, so they designed the ending accordingly. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Jon (new)

Jon Sprunk | 40 comments Dara wrote: "Please be good. Please be good. Please be good."

My thoughts exactly.