The Next Best Book Club discussion

Author/Reader Discussions > The Mapmaker's Children - Author/Reader Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 205) (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9609 comments Mod
Next month, we'll be discussing The Mapmaker's Children with author Sarah McCoy.

Her publisher has given us a total of 15 copies to give away.

10 hardcovers, for US residents only, and 5 Netgalleys open internationally!

In order to be considered, you must comment here or on the blog for a shot at winning one and secure a spot in the discussion that kicks off on October 19th:

http://thenextbestbookblog.blogspot.c...

This giveaway will run through September 9th.

Winners will be announced here and via email (if you provide one) on September 10th.

Here's how to enter:

1 - Leave a comment here or in the giveaway thread over at TNBBC's blog (linked above). Let us know if you are in the US or outside the US.

ONLY COMMENT ONCE. MULTIPLE COMMENTS DO NOT GAIN YOU ADDITIONAL CHANCES TO WIN.

2 - State that you agree to participate in the group read book discussion that will run from October 19th through October 25th. Sarah has agreed to participate in the discussion and will be available to answer any questions you may have for her.

*If you are chosen as a winner, by accepting the copy you are agreeing to read the book and join the group discussion right here in this thread next month.

3 - If your goodreads profile is blocked (set on private), please leave me another way to contact you.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments I would be thrilled to receive a copy of this book and to participate in the discussion. I live in Texas, and my email address is peterson4082@sbcglobal.net. Thank you!

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Blanchard (wwwgoodreadscomdeborahblanchard) | 30 comments I already have a copy, but I would love to join in the discussion. I love all Sarah's books.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yay. that is awesome Deborah. We'll be thrilled to have you participate!

message 5: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (BookDivasReads) I love Ms. McCoy's books and look forward to the discussion.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Wilkins | 38 comments I would love to win a copy of this book and am looking forward to participating in the discussion. I'm in the US (Michigan): lesliemcwilkins@yahoo.com.

message 7: by ♡ Kim ♡ (new)

♡ Kim ♡ | 17 comments Please include me in the giveaway. I live in the US agree to participate.

message 8: by Constance (new)

Constance McKee (Constance_McKee) | 21 comments This book sounds great! I'd love to enter the giveaway, but one way or the other, I'll read it and participate in the discussion. I live in the US and my email address is cjmckee71@hotmail.com.

message 9: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney I would like to be included in The Mapmaker's Children giveaway. I live in the US and agree to participate in the book discussion.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 28 comments I would love to win a copy of this book and I live in the US. I agree to participate in the group read book discussion that will run from October 19th through October 25th.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My friend alerted me to this as I have this book on my to-read list. I haven't participated in the Next Best Book Club before and would love to give it a try. I'm in the U.S. My email address is lisa@steinsquared.com.

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Bihlmayer | 81 comments I already had this on my tbr list. would love a copy and will love the discussion! I am in Chicago.

message 13: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (RosannaBell) | 125 comments I really would love to read this book! It's been on my to-read list for a while. I thoroughly enjoyed The Baker's Daughter. I'd prefer a hard copy and I agree to participate in the discussion. I live in Atlanta.

message 14: by Chris (last edited Sep 03, 2015 06:48PM) (new)

Chris Wallace (Chrispwallace) | 112 comments The title is intriguing! I have always loved atlas's and maps. I would love a story involving mapmaking. I don't mind if it is paperback or hard cover. I just love to read. I live in Arkansas. My full name is Chris Wallace.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I would like to be entered for the giveaway and I agree to participate in the discussion. I live in the US.

message 16: by Betty (new)

Betty (bellemercier) This book is on my TBR list, so how exciting to have the chance at winning a copy! I live in the U.S. and will definitely participate in the discussion. My email: belle5861@gmail.com

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (scrapsofhistory) What a great opportunity to share history and fiction. Sign me up for the giveaway. I live in the US and agree to participate in the discussion. My email is jddunham@sbcglobal.net

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 610 comments i have already - in print and audio - will be incentive to read - i love Sarah's other stuff, and she is a hoot on Facebook

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 42 comments I'd like to be entered for the giveaway. I am in the US and can be reached at lwghosts at yahoo. Thanks!

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Blanchard (wwwgoodreadscomdeborahblanchard) | 30 comments I read this one and it is amazing! Sarah is a world class writer of historical fiction. You will absolutely not be able to put this one down. It is a wonderful blend of fact and fiction. Good Luck!

message 21: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Deborah, will you be here for the discussion next month?

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Blanchard (wwwgoodreadscomdeborahblanchard) | 30 comments I will try to be. I met Sarah , so it should be a lot of fun to discuss this incredible book. It stays with you.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments If any of you live in the Austin, TX area, Sarah McCoy will be at the Texas Book Festival October 16-17!!!

message 24: by Peg (new)

Peg | 52 comments This looks exciting. I live in the US and would like to be ientered in the giveaway. I agree to participate in the 10/19-10/25 discussion

message 25: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Sep 10, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

Hi all,

Winners were chosen through Randomizer.

There were 17 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

cjmkee71
kim
shess220
belle5861
thomsirveaux
lesliemcwilkins
peg
lisa
diane
patricia
kelly
elizabeth
rosanna
deanna
chris

jddunham
peterson4082
Timestamp: 2015-09-10 16:59:46 UTC, IP: 50.29.130.239

The top 15 are winners!
The top 10 will get hardcover copies, the last 5 will be gifted netgalley digital copies!

Emails are heading out to the winners shortly.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments I was #16, not a lucky number today! But I will still read it and be part of the conversation.

message 27: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Aww that's awesome Susan. I'm sorry. Maybe next month the odds will be in your favor : )

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments ☺️

message 29: by Constance (new)

Constance McKee (Constance_McKee) | 21 comments I'm delighted to be a winner! Looking forward to reading the book and participating in the discussion.

message 30: by ♡ Kim ♡ (new)

♡ Kim ♡ | 17 comments Me too! I am so happy to have won this one! Sarah McCoy used to teach at ODU - where I went to school! :)

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 610 comments she's an alum of my college - go hokies!

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Wallace (Chrispwallace) | 112 comments I am thrilled to win. When are we going to discuss the book?

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 610 comments first post has the info - discussion kicks off october 19th

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Wallace (Chrispwallace) | 112 comments Thank you! Just wanted to make sure it did not change!

message 35: by Tina (new)

Tina | 143 comments I would like to participate in this discussion. Will I receive some notification? Haven't done this before even though I've been a member for several years. Thanks

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Tina, are you trying to enter the giveaway to win a copy? The directions to do so are listed up above but the giveaway ended last month. You are free to join the discussion when it starts on the 19th, though!

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina | 143 comments Just the discussion.

message 38: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Oh, cool! I usually send email reminders out to the group (a goodreads newsletter blast mid-month) that reminds everyone of what we have going on. And then just this thread....

If you use an email service that has a calendar, you should set a date for it : )

message 39: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hi everyone! Are you ready for our discussion kickoff?!

Sarah will be popping in all week long to tackle any questions you have and to engage you in some convo regarding her book.

As I always do, since I work most of the day tomorrow, I'm going to jump right in with a starter question. Feel free to get an early one in too, if you like : )

Hi Sarah! Welcome back to TNBBC! I am so glad you were able to come by and visit us again.

How's the promotion for this book going? How is it different from your past promotions? (I know you are in the middle of tour right now)

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments I got to meet Sarah today at the Texas Book Festival and she autographed The Mapmaker's Children for me. I was (and still am) very excited!

message 41: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Oct 18, 2015 05:11PM) (new)

Wow, Susan! Lucky lady!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments She was so sweet!! I got to hear her speak about Texas authors in a session before she signed books. A real treat!!

message 43: by Betty (new)

Betty (bellemercier) I'm ready! I also work during the day, EST, so I'll pop in tomorrow night and pose some questions and/or leave some commentary. :)

message 44: by Peg (new)

Peg | 52 comments Hi Sarah. I'm really enjoying learning about learning about the Underground Railroad and the Browns. I love your idea of who Sarah might have been as a person. I'm really interested in the research that goes into historical fiction. When/how did you become interested this slice of history and Sarah in particular? In your acknowledgements you discuss your research through archives, books and a visit to Sarah's grave; can you expand on that and tell us more about your research process?

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments I was so fascinated by what I learned about the Underground Railroad in this book, especially about the dolls.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Blanchard (wwwgoodreadscomdeborahblanchard) | 30 comments I met Sarah on Pub day for dinner and a discussion about this book! She is the sweetest and I have lots of pictures of me and her. we met on Goodreads and moved to facebook friends. It was lovely to finally get to meet her and she knew who I was and gave me a big hug. It was one of the best days of my life! This book is great and I love how she took historical facts and blended it with fiction. It definitely worked. All her books are great!

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments Deborah, I know how you feel!! After reading her books, becoming friends on FB and following her on Twitter, it was an absolute joy to meet her in person. She was so warm and friendly, lots of hugs and pictures, and I even got to meet her husband!

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Blanchard (wwwgoodreadscomdeborahblanchard) | 30 comments Susan wrote: "Deborah, I know how you feel!! After reading her books, becoming friends on FB and following her on Twitter, it was an absolute joy to meet her in person. She was so warm and friendly, lots of hugs..."

Wow, Susan, that is great! I didn't get to meet him. He must be a sweetheart too!

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan Peterson | 35 comments He was our cameraman. ☺️

message 50: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Bihlmayer | 81 comments Hi Sarah,
I loved, I mean really loved this book. I am really glad that I did not read any reviews on this book or your previous book before I started reading it. So, my question to you is, do you research or write differently when a previous work gets lukewarm or even poor reviews? Or do you keep your same style and ignore the reviewers that just want to hate for whatever perception they have of your story?

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mapmaker's Children (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Symonds (other topics)