QUEEN OF SHADOWS READALONG | #BOOKISHSEPTEMBER discussion

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
This topic is about Queen of Shadows
QUEEN OF SHADOWS > Let's Discuss | Chapters 1 - 16

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisabeth (last edited Aug 27, 2015 08:13AM) (new)

Elisabeth (fromelisabeth) | 8 comments Mod
Ahh! It's here! It's finally here!! I can't wait to start discussing with everyone :)
Spoilers are WELCOME

Jasmine | 3 comments Elisabeth wrote: "Ahh! It's here! It's finally here!! I can't wait to start discussing with everyone :)
Spoilers are WELCOME"

My copy of this book will be a little late. It's coming September 7th or 8th. So i might be late for the discussion.

message 3: by Elisabeth (last edited Sep 01, 2015 01:23AM) (new)

Elisabeth (fromelisabeth) | 8 comments Mod
Jasmined wrote: "Elisabeth wrote: "Ahh! It's here! It's finally here!! I can't wait to start discussing with everyone :)
Spoilers are WELCOME"

My copy of this book will be a little late. It's coming September 7th ..."

That's okay! I probably won't be starting it until September 4th or 5th :) I have to finish Heir of Fire first

Fhina (fhinabasbair) I'm 31% percent in - Chapter 25 and. Damn it! Shit has been going down already!

Pearl | 4 comments I did the thing…..
my physical copy wasn't going to arrive til Thursday because of a hiccup with my amazon payment card. So….I went ahead and bought the ebook. Coz darn it I waited a year for this book! And I wanted to read it immediately!

message 6: by Nay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nay Denise (naydenise) Started this book immediately last night once I got my hands on it and OMG! I am blown away. Sarah J. Maas is a genius! I was dying of feels by the time I got to chapter 15. I mean seriously!

First off, I hate Chaol now. I don't understand why he is so indifferent towards Aelin, but is so damn cool with Dorian's magic. It pisses me off how he feels. The fact that he was messing around with Nesryn was upsetting too. I just don't like how much of a coward he has become.

I can't deal with Dorian being trapped inside his body by the Demon prince. I love that he is still in there and hope he continues to fight through. I hope he can truly be saved.

Aelin is just kickass! I mean right from the start she started with a bang and I'm loving every single second of it!

I'm enjoying Manon a bit more as a character and the king of assassins can't be trusted.

Such goodness!!!

message 7: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (virginia_cutler) First off, I hate Chaol now. I don't understand why he is so indifferent towards Aelin, but is so damn cool with Dorian's magic. It pisses me off how he feels. The fact that he was messing around with Nesryn was upsetting too. I just don't like how much of a coward he has become.

YES me too! He blames Aelin for everything and treats her like she's a monster. I like nothing about his character anymore

Vee83 | 4 comments I'm so disappointed in Chaol. I had all the hopes and dreams that he and Aelin would get back together. I seriously don't know how they got so broken. He was still in love with her at the end of Crown of Midnight; now he treats her like a monster. I have no idea how Maas is going to fix any of this, but I really hope she at least resolves the issue.

Ashlee I agree, very disappointed with what's happened to Chaol, but at the same time Aelin's been a massive bitch when it coms to him - she blames him for what happened to Dorian and Sorcha (sp?) just as much as he blames her...and he never said she was a monster - that's something she interpreted based on his words about magic 'how do we stop the monsters' or something like that...as much as he's annoying me, he actually has a fair point about magic getting out of control - look at how long it took Aelin to control her fire in HoF, and that was with Rowan's help

Also, as much as I think Aelin has a point about Dorian being gone forever, you can't blame Chaol for wanting to save his best friend - and let's face it, Dorians a main character, as if Maas is just going to let him be eaten up from the inside by a demon and that's that

This might be n unpopular opinion, but seriously, as kickass as Aelin can be, she needs to be taken down a peg or two...she's not always right and she can be a really hard character to like sometimes. As frustrating as this new Chaol is, I can understand why he doesn't trust her, especially when it's so obvious to him that she no longer has any faith in him. (Remember the first thing he saw about her was she was no longer wearing his ring)

I'm not ready to hate Chaol yet - Maas is an expert at using unreliable narration, so I'm not prepared to trust everything from Aelin's point of view (not just about Chaol but about everyone) she jumps to so many conclusions and assumes she's always right, but she often misreads people and the situation

Vee83 | 4 comments I honestly agree with everything you wrote. They both need to be honest with themselves and realize neither of them has all the right answers. I just wish they would get past all the personal conflict already and have a real talk about it. Pushing it all to the side is clearly making it worse.

Vee83 | 4 comments Plus, I'm only disappointed in Chaol. I don't hate him yet, I just want a reason to forgive him.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) I've never been a fan of Chaol but I definitely see the huge difference in his character. I honestly cannot stand him now and the way that he is acting makes me hope that him and Aelin just move on from each other for good.

Susanne Jørgensen | 1 comments I really have to disagree with a lot of you guys.

Chaol's character has changed a bit, yes. But he just followed the course he was already on; Chaol has been disapproving of Aelin from the start. The 'love' he had for her, was a love for the character she tried to play to deal with the trauma of surviving Endovier.

Aelin has been taken down a peg so many times. She's aware that she is wrong sometimes, yet she still keeps getting caught up in her arrogance. She is arrogant. That is a fact, and I personally love her for it. It is also a character flaw which all character's should have. She keeps getting in trouble for it and she is slowly learning to deal with it. That ish takes time.

She blames Chaol. Not for what happened with Dorian and Sorscha, but for his reaction. Fleeing the way Chaol did is something that is completely unthinkable for Aelin; she never backs down.

TL;DR Chaol is being Chaol and Aelin is being Aelin. They were never gonna work, because they both detest parts of each other.

Aimal (The Devils We Find) (aimalfarooq) I, in fact, have started to despise Celaena/Aelin. She is being a hypocrite. She is putting the entire blame on Chaol's shoulders while absolutely refusing to acknowledge his position.

First off, Chaol was born and raised under the king's rule. He was the captain of the guard- his loyalty and duty lay with the king. The entire base of his character, one of his most redeeming qualities was his honor, and his honor restrained him from disobeying his king. Yet, he did it anyway. He swore allegiance to his best friend, Dorian, rather than the king. He joined the rebel cause. He did everything in his power to keep Celaena safe while everything he ever believed in (his king, his honor, his duties) was crumbling around him. And yes, he has negatives about him- the fact that he ran away while Dorian was still in the castle (doesn't sit well with me), but at least now, he's doing EVERYTHING in his power to bring Dorian back safe.

And Aelin? She's given up. She was about to KILL Dorian, for God's sake! And then when Chaol is angry at her for giving up, she's trying to put all the blame on him? Are you shitting me?

I'm so, so, SO disappointed with this book right now. Sarah J. Maas has butchered Celaena's character. I have no idea who she is, and I think she's trying her best to make her readers hate Chaol so it'll be okay when they don't end up together in the end, but nah, that's not working for me. I'm so mad.

Melissa (lizhunter975) | 2 comments I'm also a bit disappointed with the characters right now, although I'm trying to trust that SJM has her reasons and stuff will be revealed later and it'll all work out? Maybe? I mean I can understand to a point where they're coming from: Chaol has always been hardheaded, stubborn, honor bound, and devoted to Dorian so I can see where he's coming from, but I think Maas has gone a bit over the top with his characterization. Same for Celaena/Aelin, she's undergone TONS of character development throughout the series but I feel like Maas is being really confusing with the direction she's taking her character now. We'll see what happens!

Also, I am SO here for the Lysandra and Aelin friendship, it's going to be so great omg. As long as nothing happens to ruin it. Which it probably will.

message 16: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (virginia_cutler) I think sometimes I forget too how young Aelin and Chaol are and I think some of their foolish attitudes and decisions are due to the fact that they're young and still trying to figure out who they really are.

message 17: by liam (new) - rated it 5 stars

liam (loonarmy) | 3 comments SO GREAT. MY SWEET DORIAN. AAAAH

Petuli | 5 comments Well... I think Aelin is a bit annoying... She became kind of self-centered. And Chaol... he was my favourite character, I still like him, but he has definitely change. Maybe those two need some time to "hate" each other to have a functional friendship/relationship. I was very surprised to see Lysandra in possitive light, she's not that bad!

I need more Aedion... and Dorian to get better - his chapters are heartbreaking.

Azaria Gerardo (bookflix) | 2 comments I'm on chapter 15 and I'm really enjoying this! It's fast-paced and man the revelations so far. I feel like the characters haven't changed, we're just seeing a different side of them. Due to their own emotions at the time being. So excited for Aelin to save Aedion. To bad I have to go to sleep. :(