Brain Pain discussion

The Dying Grass: A Novel of the Nez Perce War
This topic is about The Dying Grass
The Dying Grass - TVP 2015 > Questions, Resources, and General Banter - The Dying Grass

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim | 3056 comments Mod
William T. Vollmann’s novel, The Dying Grass: A Novel of the Nez Perce War, is the fifth book in his Seven Dreams series.

Wikipedia page for William T. Vollmann:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions and post links to resources for William T. Vollmann and The Dying Grass.

Also, if you’ve written a review of the book, please post a link to share with the group.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

my review

I look forward to reading some discussions on this novel.

Sosen | 38 comments I've been looking forward to this for years. Ever since the summer that I went to Trip Taylor's in Boise (where I get most of my books) and found out that Vollmann had stopped by twice recently - first on the way to Montana, and then on the way back - and bought "a stack of regional books". It's just fun to have something set in Idaho for once, and even more fun for it to be written by my favorite author!

message 4: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim | 3056 comments Mod
Sosen wrote: "It's just fun to have something set in Idaho for once, and even more fun for it to be written by my favorite author!.."

A twofer! Enjoy your read!

Zadignose | 444 comments Here is a link to Yellow Wolf: His Own Story, free online:

https://archive.org/details/yellowwol...

This is the story as told by White Thunder (his preferred name, though he was known outside the tribe mainly by the name "Yellow Wolf," the image of his wyakin). It's clearly influential on Vollmann, to the extent that a brief browse shows that it introduces the term "showing the rifle," and uses the same preferred spelling for Nez Perce names that Vollmann selected for his novel.

I'm not ready to read it myself at this very moment, having just been through Vollmann's version of the tale, but I will surely return to this someday, and others may find it worth their time to read.