Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Lost in the Sun
This topic is about Lost in the Sun
ARCHIVES > Lost in the Sun, by Lisa Graff → Start Date: September 3rd, 2015

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Anyone like to join Megan and me reading this book with such a brilliant cover? We'd love to have you!

Megan | 52 comments Thanks for making the thread! I love Lisa Graff's middle grade books so I have high expectations for this one!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments She's new to me. In fact, I didn't even have any of her books on my TBR shelf until now. I just love the inviting cover. LOL

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I can't believe that I just ordered my book last night and it is already here. YIPPEE! I just have a feeling I'm going to love this one.

Megan | 52 comments My copy is still in transit so I'm hoping to have it by Tuesday. It sounds like the kind of book that will tug at your heartstrings while simultaneously bringing a smile to your face.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Awe, I hope so! Sounds like my kind of book.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Do you mind if I wait until the 3rd to start this so I can use it for the Fully Loaded Challenge?

Megan | 52 comments I don't mind at all, that actually works better for me since I'm not sure I'll have it by Tuesday.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, I'm changing the date then. LOL

Megan | 52 comments Yay! I got my copy! Excited to get started on this one in a few days.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Awesome! I'm glad you got it in time for our BR.

Finished Ch. 5 and so far I think it's really cute.

Trent (view spoiler)

Fallon (view spoiler)

I'm not sure why Trent (view spoiler)

I really like the camaraderie among (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Finished Ch. 10

Wow! I just love how (view spoiler)

Trent really needs to (view spoiler)

The pranks (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Finished Ch. 15 and my (view spoiler)

Jeremiah's father (view spoiler)

Megan | 52 comments Finished Ch. 5

I 100% agree with your thoughts on Trent. Even though he understands that there's no reason for him to feel so much guilt, all these emotions are bottled up inside him with no way to express them, leading him to 'shoot himself in the foot'. He really is a great character though that I sympathize with so much and really feel for!

Fallon is a very interesting character to me because as a reader with all this outside perception of a situation at hand we can tell she's very troubled by her scar (which she tries to keep hidden by stories) but Trent doesn't perceive it that way, and see's her as a carefree happy girl even if that couldn't be farther from the truth. There's such an interesting dynamic between the two and I'm interested in what lessons Graft writes to build their characters.

Megan | 52 comments Finished Chapter 15

Oh Trent, I knew things would have to get worse for him before they got any better but it's just so hard reading about everything he's going through! Ms. Emerson though is a very interesting character and I love the double message behind Trent watering her plants.

From my experience many realistic fiction books centered around a friendship are geared toward younger readers, while junior high aged kids are just left to fend for themselves and either read above or below their maturity level so it's so refreshing to see such a thought provoking book I would hand to a twelve year old.

I'm curious to see how Graft handles the story of Fallon's scar, right now my bet is that she never reveals the truth to us readers proving the message that there's more to define a person than one moment of their life.

I don't know about you, but reading about Fallon's error catching in movies really made me want to look for the continuity errors she described in Field of Dreams and Sandlot, lol!

Such a great book, hopefully I'll finish later today and update you on my final thoughts!

Megan | 52 comments I finished, absolutely adored it! I think all junior high teachers should make this part of their curriculum, because this is exactly the kind of book I would have loved reading at that age.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Megan, I am so sorry I didn't notice your posts or I'd have discussed with you!

I felt the same way about the continuity errors! But I'm not very good at catching them.

I'm really glad you enjoyed this book too!