Promote Your Self-Published Book discussion

Thoughts On Pseudonyms

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Moncrief | 4 comments Hi there,

I've never started a new thread in a group before, so I'm hoping I'm not breaking any rules or stepping on any toes here, but I would love all of your feedback on this, since I am amongst other self-published authors.

My first novel, FLIGHT, is very much entrenched in being YA and I have actively created a brand as a YA author. I do have another book that I'm currently writing that is most definitely NOT YA (I'm thinking it falls in the New Adult category - much darker, sexier, more explicit themes). I am toying with the idea of writing this second novel under a pseudonym so as not to confuse my YA readers (or have them pick up this second novel with the expectation that it will be a YA book, when it's not.)

I know of other traditionally published authors who have been successful in writing under pseudonyms for multiple genres. Does anyone have any thoughts or past experience with this? Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Warmly,

Charlene

message 2: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 3 comments While I don't have experience publishing in multiple genres, I do write under a pseudonym, partially for fun and partially just to maintain separation with my personal life. But I have heard of authors who have written under different names (whether it be a real name and a pseudonym, or multiple pseudonyms) when publishing in different genres. I don't know of any specific people right off hand, but I know it's a thing.

In your case, it might be a smart idea to use a pseudonym for your new novel - like you said, you don't want people picking it up thinking it's the same as your previous YA one. Besides, I feel like when you have a brand, you really want to stick to that brand and maintain it, so you wouldn't want to compromise your current YA brand. In this particular case, it could cause you to lose readers (say, if your YA readers tried your new adult novel and were thinking "Oh my gosh, where's she going with this?").

So hopefully that makes sense and was at least a little helpful :) Honestly, having a pseudonym is fun, so that's kind of a perk in and of itself.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Moncrief | 4 comments Hi E.J.!

Thank you so much for responding and sharing your thoughts. The more I think about it, the more I agree that it would probably be best that I use a pseudonym for my next novel. It's so far out of the YA category, the last thing I want to do is mislead anyone into thinking that it is YA.

And I'm totally looking forward to the perks of writing in a pseudonym… writing is a lot like playing pretend anyway, so getting to do that under the veil of another name sounds like a whole other realm of fun :)