Real Christian discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 290 (290 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Okay, here we are!!! The Bible book of John is our next buddy reads!!!! We will be starting Tomorrow- Wednesday, August 26th and finish up on September 17th. Thank you all so much!!!
Please check in below-
Mary Kate- Checked in(; Yay!!!!!

message 2: by Avery Joy (new)

Avery Joy Avery Joy checked in! Woo Hoo!

message 3: by Dominique (new)

Dominique (domsreadingadventure) checked in. I'm going to try my best to do this :)

message 4: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!!!!!! AJ!!! Queen!!! *handclaps* (I honestly just gave you both handclaps!!) (; This will be great!
And its ok Queen if you ever get busy and miss a chapter or more or so and need to stop. You can always jump back in to wherever we are if you need to(; Haha

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Pease | 8 comments Hi I am new to this, when do we discuss the chapters?

message 6: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Hi Susan!! That's ok(:
Glad to have you!! Well we will be starting tomorrow and I will put an update which will say the number if the chapter and date and you may comment. So you may comment on the chapter tomorrow(: Hope that helped(:

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Pease | 8 comments ok thanks Mary Kate! I will wait for your post!

message 8: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha very welcome!!(: And great!! Thanks for participating! :D

message 9: by Halee (new)

Halee (im4israel) Yay! This will be very good for me!!

message 10: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) | 175 comments Checked in! I'm really looking forward to participating in this!:)

message 11: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay guys!!!
*more handclaps* Haha!!
I think this will be fun(:

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Checked in! :)

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments Checked in!!

message 14: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

YAY!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!(;
This will be so much fun!!! XD

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments I hope so. I can't take reading the Bible while being bored everything will just pass my eyes. So with that said, lets get this party started!! :D

message 16: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Ahahaha!!! You are hilarious today Lee XP
Yay!!! Party on(: Haha
now I'm impatiently waiting on my other 60- something members...... hahaha

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments No-one else showed up?

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Dressen | 14 comments Anna checked in. Hoping to be a little better with this one!

message 19: by Ashis (new)

Ashis (ashisrai_) | 28 comments Checked in.

message 20: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments Checked in....all the way from London (so the chapter I get to read each day may not be quite synchronised with you good folk in US on account of timing but guess we'll all get there eventually). Fortunately for us God is not handicapped by time-zones.

message 21: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay *hand claps* Haha!! Thanks everyone!!
@Lee- It sometimes takes a bit(;
@Stephen- That's a o k! Haha. I See one member doing this from Nepal- one from Jamaica and one from Australia! So no worries! Haha(:
@Jerrel- Yes!!! Brilliant insight!!! So very true!!

August 26th- Wednesday- John 1!!!!! Yay guys!! I know this will be awesome(: Here you can write any comments, suggestions, enlightenments and questions. Be free and honest with it. We're all friends and this is to help us(: I hope this goes well anyone!! Y'all can write comments at any time!!(:

message 22: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) | 175 comments I'm getting started!

message 23: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I won't be able to finish this with all of you, but I'll do it while I can and finish on my own for the rest of it. I'm really excited with how many people are doing this! :)

message 24: by gabi (new)

gabi Okay, so I'd like to do this with ya'll. Do I just read chapter 1 today and we discuss it here? I'm not totally sure how this works. :-)

message 25: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Love this first chapter of the Gospel of John. It deals with a lot of things. . .

The Triune Godhead: Father, Son or Word, and Holy Ghost.

That the Word ( Son ) was with God prior to the beginning of the making of all things.

The Word became flesh. . .thus, Emmanuel ~ God with us.

In Him is life.

He is the Light.

message 26: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) You got it Gabriela! We read a chapter each day and discuss anything about that chapter here, thanks for doing this! :)

message 27: by Aster (new)

Aster | 244 comments Checked in!

message 28: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!! Great work guys! Yep exactly Gabriella!!(: So glad you could join us!!
Hi Aster! So very true Timothy! One thing I really like about this so far is how straight on it is. It deals with very important things and deals with them directly! I know this book is gonna be a lot of fun(:

message 29: by Ruth (new)

Ruth  (ruthelizabethg) | 191 comments Checked In! I hope I can keep up with this even through school. :)

message 30: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!!! Ruth Elizabeth!!!! *handclaps*
Its okay, try your best and if you get behind it will be ok(: (:

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments When you read the bible while going to school, it helps. 'Cause when you take time for God he reward us :)

message 32: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments John bear witness to the light.

We also bear witness: If the light in you be darkness, how great is that darkness.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Checked in! John 1:1 is my favorite Bible verse. It is very blunt, yet mysterious.

message 34: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (last edited Aug 26, 2015 01:31PM) (new)

Wow Lee!! So very very true!!!!!(:
Love that guys!!! So awesome(:

Something I realized - in verse 39 Jesus was talking to two of his disciples and they ask Him where he dwelleth- He answers and says "Come and See." Later in verse 46 Philip is talking to Nathanael and Nathanael asked if anything good ever came out of Nazareth and Philip answers and says "Come and See." I thought this was really cool. Maybe of was simply a coincidence but then again maybe they were copying the Lord even in their words. Yes Come and See!! (: Love it!!!

I also liked how Andrew brought Peter, his brother to the Lord Jesus!! So amazing!! We are to tell our loved ones and those around us and bring them to see the Messias (the Christ) (:

message 35: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yes!! *hand claps* Welcome Liz!! Yes!! Love that verse!!(:

message 36: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) | 175 comments I thought it was interesting how Nathanael asked if anything good ever came out of Nazareth; I wonder if it was like the town all the thought of "Evil" people came from and wasn't well liked? Just thinking about it.

message 37: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

http://www.studylight.org/commentary/...

Here's a link to a website which has multiple commentaries about that verse. I googled it for y'all(; There are different thoughts on this. Nazareth may of been a very wicked place with lots of criminals and thus why Philip would ask such. or it could be Philip knew that the birthplace of the Messiah was supposed to be in Bethlehem and not Nazareth. Or there are many more decide thoughts. Check it out and let me know what y'all think(:

message 38: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

I really really liked verses 47-51 in how Jesus saw and talked to Nathaneal!! Its very very noteworthy!!!!(:

message 39: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) | 175 comments Very interesting Mary Kate! I wonder (Not saying that this is what Nathanael meant as we probably will never know) if Nazareth was a wicked city (Hence why he said it) and because of this God had Jesus come from there as a kind of example of sorts to people? Not really sure but just a thought!

message 40: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Thank you(: I'm glad it helped!!
That's kinda what I believe also. Because how he says it makes me think so. Lol. It seems to me from the dialect that he was being sarcastic as in he didn't honestly believe something good would come from Nazareth, so really teasing. So that's what I believe too(:
That's why I also just love the part when he comes to see the Lord!!! Really cool!!!!(:

message 41: by gabi (new)

gabi “This encounter took place in Bethany, an area east of the Jordan River, where John was baptizing.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:28‬ ‭NLT‬‬
I just found out that this "Bethany" is ONLY mentioned once in the Bible: here. If "Bethany" is mentioned anywhere else, it is a different "Bethany". Also, KJ version says "Bethabara" instead of "Bethany".

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan Pease | 8 comments Its interesting that Jesus invites us to "Come & see" even if its a place that "nothing good comes from there." It reminds me that we shouldn't hold on to our prejudices because we might miss the message from Jesus.

message 43: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Take note of words of Simeon: " . . A light to the gentiles and a glory thy people, Israel. . ."

In this passage: Nothing good cometh of Nazareth, but a Light that shineth on every one that cometh into the world.

Take note: The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

That may well be understood if the place were altogether and or evil: yet Light was coming forth to shine upon all that sit in darkness.

Mere musings. Nothing more. . .

message 44: by gabi (last edited Aug 26, 2015 03:22PM) (new)

gabi Because this is VERY IMPORTANT (at least to me) and interesting, especially when studying the Bible. Here's an excerpt from Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul:

When the word Lord occurs in lowercase letters, the translator is indicating to us that the word adonai is found in the Hebrew Bible. Adonai means “sovereign one.” It is not the name of God. It is a title for God, indeed the supreme title given to God in the Old Testament. When L ORD appears in all capital letters it indicates that the word Jahweh is used in the Old Testament. Jahweh is the sacred name of God, the name by which God revealed Himself to Moses in the burning bush. This is the unspeakable name, the ineffable name, the holy name that is guarded from profanity in the life of Israel. Normally it occurs only with the use of its four consonants—yhwh. It is therefore referred to as the sacred tetragrammaton, the unspeakable four letters.

Isn't that amazing?!

message 45: by Timothy (last edited Aug 26, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Yes. Thou speakest the truth entire. Elohim is God. Thus Immanuel crieth out upon the stake: Eloi or Elohim, God or Psalm 22:1 My God, my God. . .etc. YHWH is safeguarded. . .and Sacred. Adonai lord and Yahoowah LORD YHWH. Big difference in everything as I understand it. Thank thee for making mention of this, friend!

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Checking in. This is my first Buddy Reads with this group, and I'm looking forward to it. Will read the first couple of chapters of John tonight before I head to bed. Looking forward to learning more about God with y'all!

message 47: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (last edited Aug 26, 2015 04:14PM) (new)

Wow guys!! Brilliant!! Love it Gabriella about Bethany and about the names of God!! So powerful!!!
Oh handclaps Susan!!!!(:
Great work Timothy! Y'all are blessing me!! Awesome!!
Hi Andrea(: So glad you are here!! Yay *handclaps*!!! Haha
Okay that is good however we are doing a chapter a day so we can only talk about the chapter we are on that day. If that makes sense.
Yay everyone!!!!(:

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Yes, that's fine. Just catching up on the reading tonight. :)

message 49: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha ok!!(;

message 50: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Thou shalt see greater things than these.

And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see heaven open, and the angels ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Profound and rewarding words these are!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.