2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
. Week 32: Trilogy (1) > The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hannah Norman (hannahnorman) | 49 comments This is the book I choose for the first book in a trilogy. I had seen the movie and was (surprisingly) enthralled.

Once you get to the halfway point of the book a lot of differences show up. I wonder if this is a precursor to how the next movies will be changed from the novels. (Which I actually like...)

message 2: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec | 64 comments I've wanted to read this for a while. I've just got the DVD from the library. Do you suggest I read the book or watch the movie first?

message 3: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
The movie is fast paced, has more likeable characters and the decors were great. The way to solve the labyrinth was more interesting in the book from my point of view but I wanted to throw the characters by the window and the discussions were very dull.
The differences are big enough so you can appreciate both of them for different reasons (or hate them :p). I don't know which of them to recommend first as I didn't like the 2nd half of the book (and the writing) but found the movie just average.

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I saw the movie first and then I read the book and enjoyed both of them :-)

Jessie Wolf I've never seen the movie but I'm definitely enjoying reading the book for this week

Ashley (bibliophrenia) | 112 comments This book was painful for me. With all the hype, my expectation was for a good book, but I found that this book left so much to be desired.

I love the concept, but found it very difficult to suspend my disbelief when characters suddenly and miraculously know the solutions to their problems without any lead into the realization. In combination with the flat characters and the slang, this book wasn't for me.

Hope you guys enjoyed it more than I did!

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I thought this book was okay. Overall I like it and will most likely finish out the serious (I bought all the books as a set). There were a lot of loose ends, but I felt the character development was pretty good and it has a good set up to the second book.

I saw the movie after reading the book and was disappointed in all the creative liberties that were taken. There were so many changes that it didn't seem like the same thing, just two things with similar back stories.

Admittedly, for both the book and movie, the love story is extremely weak. Though I appreciate that it was more of a secondary story instead of the main event.

message 8: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Haha Manda, it's pretty funny because for me, there's no character development in the book. At the end of the book, I was totally unable to describe the personality of the characters (except "very annoying" or "good guy/bad guy/smart guy") which is (for me) a sign of a pretty shallow characterization.

I'm curious about what will happen in the 2nd book, but as finally I'm on the "hate side" (even if the book had some qualities), I think it will continue like this with the sequels and I'm really not interested in reading annoying/dull books.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I hope it gets better. I would love to believe that as Dashner is writing more, the better quality his books have. But, I've seen it happen before where the quality plummets as a series continues, i.e.: Twilight and Divergent series.