Read Runners discussion

To Sir, With Love
This topic is about To Sir, With Love
Archives > To Sir, With Love - Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jarvis He shamed them, wrestled with them, enlightened them, and - ultimately - learned to love them. Mr. Braithwaite, the new teacher, had first to fight the class bully. Then he taught defiant, hard-bitten delinquents to call him "Sir," and to address the girls who had grown up beside them in the gutter as "Miss".

He taught them to wash their faces and to read Shakespeare. When he took all forty-six to museums and to the opera, riots were predicted. But instead of a catastrophe, a miracle happened. A dedicated teacher had turned hate into love, teenage rebelliousness into self-respect, contempt into into consideration for others. A man's own integrity - his concern and love for others - had won through. 

The modern classic about a dedicated teacher in a tough London school who slowly and painfully breaks down the barriers of racial prejudice, this is the story of a man's integrity winning through against the odds.

Jarvis Everyone is welcomed to join me and Sumit provided you supply us with Coffee and Snacks.

Please do not spam and use spoiler tags wherever needed!

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Awesome! Thanks for setting this up, Gehna. :)

Jarvis No problem! :)

Jarvis Ch 1 :(view spoiler)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Agreed. (view spoiler)

Jarvis Sumit wrote: "Agreed. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jarvis Ch2 : (view spoiler)

Jarvis Ch 3 : (view spoiler)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) I think Braithwhite comes with a bit of baggage himself. I guess he was used to more equal treatment in the RAF. Also, perhaps he expected that he was a war veteran so he wouldn't be subjected to racial abuse.

In fact, this also reminds me of the case of Muhammad Ali. When he won an Olympic gold, he was disillusioned that white people STILL treated him poorly. When he was disallowed entry into a bar, he threw his medal away into the Ohio river.

message 11: by Jarvis (last edited Sep 02, 2015 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jarvis I finished it, Sumit. Sorry I wasn't around to update here :(

Loved it a lot!

(view spoiler)