Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Why can't I ever finish a book? what can help?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April  | 22 comments hi my names april. I have a problem. I have a case of put down a book and start another without finishing the one I put down...I don't know what my problem is! !! I was reading before I go to sleep, but now I'm starting to read vanishing acts, and never renewed before I go to sleep at the library. .... soo.... what can I do to help myself finish a book? I tried challenged but maybe I need to start again lol

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli | 397 comments April wrote: "hi my names april. I have a problem. I have a case of put down a book and start another without finishing the one I put down...I don't know what my problem is! !! I was reading before I go to sleep..."

If you can, try the audiobook version of it. Sometimes, having someone read the book to you will help you get through more easily than simply reading it yourself. Just don't lay down and close your eyes to do this. I speak from experience on this. I fell asleep and woke up in time to hear the case in the mystery I listened to being solved when the investigation had just started before I conked out. Hope this helps.

message 3: by April (new)

April  | 22 comments Holli wrote: "April wrote: "hi my names april. I have a problem. I have a case of put down a book and start another without finishing the one I put down...I don't know what my problem is! !! I was reading befor..."

Holli. Thank you for your kind words. Though I have tried audiobooks before and I have an account on audible, but lately Iv'e been wanting to hold a book in my hand, even if its on my kindle, but lately its been paper books. :) Right now I am reading Vanishing Acts but the thing is, I never ended the book Before I Go to Sleep. WHich bothers me, but I also do have this book on my kindle. :). So I think I will be starting to do some book challenges, and see if that works, what does ya'll think?

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments When I start to get in a blah mood and don't want to read I normally go for a short light read to help me get back into it, something funny that doesn't make you have to think a lot.

message 5: by penneminreads (new)

penneminreads That's tricky... Do you finish the books because you're not interested in the stories anymore? Maybe shorter novels would help?

For instance, I'm sometimes in the mood for novels of epic length so I can really dive into the story for days. But at the moment I'm only reading novellas because that way I can read many different stories in a short period of time.

Maybe that would help you too? It could also be just a reading slump. Sometimes reading slumps just happen, they suck, but they don't last forever :)

message 6: by April (new)

April  | 22 comments It just bothers me, because I don't get to say I finished a book. Haven't read a whole book since Like last year in January. I should really be reading all the time, like those moments I have time.....

message 7: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments I don't know how feasible this is but maybe just pick up one book at a time until you break yourself of the habit. I think once you finish one or two, you'll remember the satisfaction of it/why it's so nice to find out what really happens and how it all ends. Then you'll have the motivation to finish others, even if you have more sitting there waiting.

When I got into a slump of being unable to finish anything, I had to read series where I knew I would fall in love with a certain character because that always drives me to finish books. Making sure my new child is okay :P So books like Maze Runner and the Gone series, etc, those always jump start me to finish a book when I get stuck.

And yes! Challenges! Try again. When you find one that's really fun for you, being able to slot a book is great motivation to finish it.

Best of luck!

message 8: by Ron (new)

Ron I was thinking the same thing as Cait, especially if you find a book to read along with a partner or group. That idea of knowing someone else is also reading the same book could help greatly. And you'll get to talk about it as you go.

I've gone through phases where I just needed a break, and stopped reading for awhile. The book that brings me back always seems to be a special one (that's probably because I was refreshed).

A good, small book may also be the one to get you over that hump. Something that can be finished easily, but fills you up.

message 9: by April (new)

April  | 22 comments Thanks everyone :D

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ | 2613 comments Sometimes even rereading a favourite book or series helps also, I do it a lot when nothing else interests me but I have the feeling of really wanting to read.

message 11: by April (new)

April  | 22 comments True. I like the book im reading right now though :D

message 12: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I agree with Ron. Maybe you're going through a tired phase and need to step away for awhile. That or change genres. It seems as if the ones you're reading are so dull you don't want to finish them.

I've never heard of anyone who couldn't finish a book that excited their imagination. Rather, it would be hard to close it:)