What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy Book involving a series of magical towers [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damian (new)

Damian | 4 comments WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!

I'm trying to mind a book series I read in the mid-90's. It is a fantasy series that begins with the heist of a mysterious tower. After navigating a maze, the main character gains access to the tower, and retrieves an amulet which gives him control over the source of magic that rests at the top.

The series struck me because it details the main character logically testing the limits of his magic. He has to battle these shadow creatures, and after a series of experiments, he learns to bind the creatures to suits of armour.

The rest of my memories are sketchy at best, but I recall two of the principle characters often being referred to as 'Scylla' and 'Charybdis', stating that anyone caught between them would be destroyed.

There was more than one of these magical towers, and they were all named for the plant that grew in abundance at its base. Foxglove Tower, Monkshood Tower, and Wormwood tower are the only ones I can remember.

I've been looking a while for this series, so now I turn to you fine people. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

message 2: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 98 comments This sounds interesting, particularly the part about "the main character logically testing the limits of his magic." It reminds me about a book I would like to read The Complete Compleat Enchanter series The Complete Compleat Enchanter by L. Sprague de Camp

Sorry I cannot be better help. I am commenting more for the updates, to learn what book you're seeking, more than I can help you. I wish us luck.

message 3: by Damian (new)

Damian | 4 comments Thanks anyway. :)

Together we will figure it out!

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad | 2 comments I am looking for this book series too. If I am remembering right, each tower was tied to a gate of some kind and when the towers were mastered/awakened, the gate was opened and armies were waiting on the other side.... Also there was a band of mercenary's(maybe) and one was a Cathar? Maybe?

message 5: by Damian (new)

Damian | 4 comments I don't recall those details, sadly. Do you remember anything else over and above what I mentioned in the OP? More details could help - I'm searching via multiple avenues so I can spread the info around.

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad | 2 comments Unfortunately not sorry, it was so long ago I read it. HOLY CRAP I just remembered the name of the first book. I googled it and I think I found it!!

It was The Hawkthorn Tower the first book in The Living Towers series by Martin Middleton

Haha I never would have remembered that without this post thanks man!!

Amy (Other Amy) | 171 comments Hawkthorn Tower for the link. I'm interested to know if this is the one you're looking for, Damian. Your query sounds like something I'd like to read.

message 8: by Damian (new)

Damian | 4 comments Oh wow. That's it! That's the book series!

*swoons with joy*