Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) Magyk discussion

Is Harry Potter better than Septimus Heap?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frog (new) - added it

Frog Something makes makes Harry Potter more popular.
In your opinion, what does Rowling do better/differently than Sage?
Are there any ways you think Septimus Heap could be a better story?

John I only read one Septimus Heap book and thought it was kind of a stinking pile, so my vote would have been for Potter. I don't even know where to begin with SH.

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc JKR made the story more mature, the world building more creative and the characters were given more time to develop. Septimus Heap is good but it's not as thought-provoking, interesting and doesn't appeal to all ages like HP.

John That was my feeling as well. I generally like young adult stuff, but SH was really extreme, very little if any character development at all, very VERY simplistic plot. Maybe after book 1 they got better but that was my impression from the first one.

HP by comparison is a very rich tapestry, especially if you get into the community stuff.

message 5: by Frog (last edited Aug 25, 2015 11:36AM) (new) - added it

Frog Thanks for the answers.

I think Septimus Heap was missing a sense of danger; it never proved anything really bad could actually happen, not to a believable extent.

It also had little personality as you've pointed out. It was simplistic and impersonal.... Nobody could relate to it in the same way. It didn't have any deeper themes or sincere messages either.

Do you think the author didn't want to go deeper or she couldn't? She had a good imagination; how come J.K Rowling is the only one who takes the initiative to go deeper in a story like this? I always wonder.

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc Fish wrote: "Thanks for the answers.

I think Septimus Heap was missing a sense of danger; it never proved anything really bad could actually happen, not to a believable extent.

It also had little personality ..."

I don't like how the dead just turn into ghosts. Who cares if they die then?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa septimus heap is a million times better harry potter because he is scared of a dragon and semtimus heap has Spit fire.

Bree I like both, but Septimus Heap to me seems like it had gone on a little to long, so Harry Potter. I did enjoy the characters though. especially Beetle

Trevor as characters, heap is better than Harry. but book wise HP all the way

SevenOfNinetales Rowling got all the glory because she was first while her books STILL pale in comparison with the much better Sage series.