CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2015 Weekly Threads > Week 34: Let's learn something!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (last edited Aug 24, 2015 09:58AM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) So it's that time of year again. Kids are going back to school. Colleges and universities are back in session. There's an air of excitement and it seems like possibilities are endless. Even though those of us participating in the 52 Book Pickup may not have to deal with book reports, research papers and midterms anymore, there is always time to learn!

This week's prompt comes from that idea of learning: What book taught you something that has stayed with you over time? It doesn't necessarily need to be nonfiction, and it doesn't need to be a conventional lesson, either.

And, of course, feel free to share what you're reading this week!

message 2: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
Bridge to Terabithia was a teacher recommendation and has stayed with me since I read it way back when - in 5th grade - it was the first book I enjoyed reading and I think because of it you will never see me without a book. Before this book I hated to read - my daughter is the same way now - so I have gotten in the habit of picking up random books that I think she may like in the hopes that she finds her own Bridge to Terabithia!
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I am currently reading
Dangerous Pleasure (Bound Hearts, #12) by Lora Leigh and
The Trials (Project Paper Doll, #3) by Stacey Kade and
A List of Things That Didn't Kill Me by Jason Schmidt hopefully I will finish the last two soon - I've been on them it seems forever -

message 3: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2015 01:10PM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 443 comments The Hobbit (big surprise, right?), which I read in 4th grade- it (and the Lord of the Rings) are the books that grabbed my imagination and never let go. That was the book that showed me that books could take you places, and show you things you'd never see otherwise (mountains- not something you see in south Florida). Even now I love books with a good sense of place.
The last book I finished was Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews. Currently, I am reading Game of Thrones, Lunatic Heroes by C. Anthony Martignetti, and Number9Dream by David Mitchell. I also found another history of WWI on BN's cheap nookbooks list: A World Undone by G.J. Meyer, looks interesting.
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19) by Donna Andrews A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Lunatic Heroes Memories, Lies and Reflections by C. Anthony Martignetti number9dream by David Mitchell A World Undone The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G.J. Meyer

message 4: by Sunny (last edited Aug 26, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 15 comments Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace taught me that if you know enough about the language, you can make up your own words and still be grammatically correct.

My reading this week:
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin (ongoing)
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
Passing by Nella Larsen (time permitting)

message 5: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Who Moved My Cheese. Loved that book!

message 6: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha I would have to list both The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and The 9 Ways of Working. Both books helped me learn what is important to me, what motivates me, what helps me get things done. Additionally, The Road Less Traveled introduced me to Scott Peck and his other writingss. He has great insight into motivation and delayed gratification and love. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey The 9 Ways of Working How to Use the Enneagram to Discover Your Natural Strengths and Work More Effectively by Michael J. Goldberg The Road Less Traveled A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth by M. Scott Peck