Reader's Paradise discussion

All about you > How did you start reading !?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
How did you begin this crazy journey !? Enlighten us !!

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb (bubasbookshelf) | 21 comments well my parents(especially my Mum) used to read to me every night when I was litte. When they were tired and tried to skip a page or two I'd say "n no, go back, you skipped something" hehe
My mother said that I learned to read before I was 4. My grandma has a lot of books and when I was little I would always pick them up and read a page or two. My biggest dream was to have my own books to read hehe ^_^
although the first REAL book I read was Pinoccio and I found it really boring. Luckily I was very passionate about reading and I didn't give up. I got my first books for Christmas when I was 9, that books were Dnevnik Pauline P. by Sanja Polak Drugi dnevnik Pauline P by Sanja Polak and I fell in love with books even more ^_^

message 3: by Annette, The Manager (new)

wow , that is so sweet Luna :) You have a great mom ..She influenced you to read My mom on the other hand scolds me
because whenever i am at home, you can see me with a book in hand and this really annoys my Mom. :(

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb (bubasbookshelf) | 21 comments yeah, my Mum is great :) but I know how it feels, many people say to me "yeah keep reading, you won't earn any money"
I want to punch them every time they say something like that

message 5: by Annette, The Manager (new)

ha ha !!

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 638 comments Mod
We used to go to our mothers home for vacations. And all our first cousins from mothers side used to gather there for the 2 month summer vacation. When I was 6, one of my cousins brought an old copy of 'Kalikkudukka'(A children's comic magazine with barely 25 pages) and I read one story in it called 'Maayaavi'. That was my first read. Then I sneaked in some more reading time and finished the magazine without playing. My elder cousins, feeling sorry for me,presented me that magazine! That's how I started reading. :)

message 7: by Meera (last edited Aug 25, 2015 01:04AM) (new)

Meera | 880 comments Got Cindrella as a Gift,which got me hooked to Fairy tales..then Famous Five..Seven.. Archies,Hardy Boys..Holmes, Robin Cook,Tess Gerristen ,Gardener,Grisham,Allistar,Brown..

Wait..

before that I spent (wasted ?) two whole years reading M&B and Silhoutte..:P

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2015 04:58AM) (new)

Jenny | 177 comments okay,so this might be embarassing. I've been reading books since a year and half. I wasn't intrested in reading books ,but one day my best friend convinced me to read two of her favourite books(Gone With the Wind and The Alchemist),and needless to say that i loved both of them. and now i can't even imagine my day without books!

message 9: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Jenny wrote: "okay,so this might be embarassing. I've been reading books since a year and half. I wasn't intrested in reading books ,but one day my best friend convinced me to read two of her favourite books(G..."

Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite books .Love that book !! Oh, who can shy away from the charm of Scarlett !? Have you seen the movie ?

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 177 comments Annette wrote: "Jenny wrote: "okay,so this might be embarassing. I've been reading books since a year and half. I wasn't intrested in reading books ,but one day my best friend convinced me to read two of her fav..."
yes,i totally agree with that. nope,i haven't watched the movie yet,is it good?

message 11: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Yeah , it is good,but little old. Vivian Leigh was the perfect Scarlett .You have to watch it .

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 177 comments Annette wrote: "Yeah , it is good,but little old. Vivian Leigh was the perfect Scarlett .You have to watch it ."

oh,i will now :D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

My patient mom, since i was a little kid my mom placed all my toys near the bookshelves we had. And as i grew older she continued to place books near me; she never said "you have to read" she made me like books like a ninja, quietly and when i least expected.... whaam¡¡¡ now you like books.
She made me see books as a part of life and not a "must do"
Books are spontaneous not forced.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

@Ann & Jenny: I started the book a long ago in 2012 but couldn't finish it. But I've watched the movie and at the end, I was like.. 'Oh! WHAT?! Maybe there is a second part' and to make sure, I read the last few pages and agreed that the movie ends that way like the book, hanging on the ledge!For sometime, I thought Ms.Margaret Mitchell died before she got a chance to write the second part even!

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jorge wrote: "My patient mom, since i was a little kid my mom placed all my toys near the bookshelves we had. And as i grew older she continued to place books near me; she never said "you have to read" she made ..."

I agree,Jorge.. It's a part of life and not to be forced. :)

message 16: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Jorge wrote: "My patient mom, since i was a little kid my mom placed all my toys near the bookshelves we had. And as i grew older she continued to place books near me; she never said "you have to read" she made ..."

Yeah , you are right Jorge

message 17: by Annette, The Manager (last edited Aug 27, 2015 11:00PM) (new)

Jenny wrote: "@Ann & Jenny: I started the book a long ago in 2012 but couldn't finish it. But I've watched the movie and at the end, I was like.. 'Oh! WHAT?! Maybe there is a second part' and to make sure, I rea..."

Hey , dont you know that there is a sequel to the book , written by a different author Alexandra ripley.the book is named Scarlett

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Annette wrote: "Jenny wrote: "@Ann & Jenny: I started the book a long ago in 2012 but couldn't finish it. But I've watched the movie and at the end, I was like.. 'Oh! WHAT?! Maybe there is a second part' and to ma..."

Is it good?Have you read it? :)

message 19: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Yeah, i have read it.Not that good. But at least it has the so called Happy ending !

message 20: by Jenny (new)

I saw a lot of reviews too, on the same subject..

message 21: by Hema (new)

Hema Kushi | 55 comments From my Childhood Days i had this desire..But I have started this Endless Journey after my Schoolings.. Now It Occupies the Most Space of My Life :) :) :) <3

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) Can't remember when I did t read. Have been reading since I could hold a book I my hand.

message 23: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I started getting involved with English as a language by reading the Indian comic books under the banner of 'Amar Chitra Katha'. I could read them for free because a relative had a bookstore, and I was allowed that treat.

message 24: by Sunaina (new)

Sunaina (childofchai) it's a means to escape reality! and i just couldn't put a book down after picking it up...

message 25: by Shree (last edited Sep 16, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Shree Kundu (shreekunduboimela) | 1 comments My School taught me to read books, especially story books. They encouraged reading story books other than school text books as it helps in increasing vocabulary, developing imagination power and knowledge. I am thankful to my school for helping me grow this habit. It helped me a lot in my later life.

message 26: by Gorab (new)

Gorab (itsgorab) | 3110 comments I started reading novels while pretending to study text books around 8th standard :D
Once there was a power cut and I was reading with a torch! My father was so impressed by my hard work and came from my back to applaud me! And that's when he fell short of words :D :D :D

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorab wrote: "I started reading novels while pretending to study text books around 8th standard :D
Once there was a power cut and I was reading with a torch! My father was so impressed by my hard work and came f..."

Lol.

message 28: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Gorab wrote: "I started reading novels while pretending to study text books around 8th standard :D
Once there was a power cut and I was reading with a torch! My father was so impressed by my hard work and came f..."

ROFL :)

message 29: by Jenny (new)

ROFL!! *Thumbs up*Gorab!! Reading Rules!

message 30: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) Not quite sure however I do know that I officially became a Bookworm the minute I walked in Barnes & Noble Jr. and could pick out any two books I wanted.

message 31: by Karman (new)

Karman (khwabieda) | 142 comments Reading to me was like a gift from my momzie.. She is the one who loved to read and had stacks of books all ready for me. It was her who pushed me towards this side and then when imagination kicked in and made the world a happier place(lol) i have books as best friends. I've been reading all through school. And now i try reading in my free time.

message 32: by Princess (new)

Princess April | 5 comments I have been reading books since I was a little girl. Iv'e just finished reading Precious Gifts by Danielle Steel it's about a widowed man who got married two times. He has a son and three daughters.

message 33: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Princess wrote: "I have been reading books since I was a little girl. Iv'e just finished reading Precious Gifts by Danielle Steel it's about a widowed man who got married two times. He has a son and three daughters."

I have read Danielle steel's books, but not this particular one !! Have you read Star ? So far, my favorite one of hers !

message 34: by Loreyn (new)

Loreyn I hated reading when I was younger, since I was trying to learn both English and Spanish. So I never really got into it until I got into 5th grade with "A series of unfortunate events" thanks to my teacher. Then my reading over my middle school and high school went down 6 feet under.

Until recently, now in my 3 semester in college, doing cosmetology and business I wanted to get away from of course Facebook! I still have IG and "Twitter"(Which i barely use...) but ay it's there. But ever since then I have been able to actually concentrate on reading whether I'm waiting between class or on the 1+ hour of commute. And it's amazing yet now I want to discuss books and I'm not to proper with expressing what I feel about the book or if I'm missing a key component of book that would change my views from a horrible book to a masterpiece.

-Lorena ^-^ First group I joined too.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorena wrote: "I hated reading when I was younger, since I was trying to learn both English and Spanish. So I never really got into it until I got into 5th grade with "A series of unfortunate events" thanks to my..."

6 feet under!! lol.
Glad you joined this group.
We wish you a wonderful 'Bookish-Journey' : )

message 36: by Loreyn (new)

Loreyn At artip, thank you ^=^

message 37: by Loreyn (new)

message 38: by Loreyn (new)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorena wrote: "At artip, thank you ^=^"

Welcome : )
(I'll ignore this typing mistake. BTW Arpit is the name. )

message 40: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Welcome Lorena !! Hope you join the Conversation happening in this Group :)

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Welcome, Lorena!! Enjoy the conversations!! :D

message 42: by Loreyn (new)

Loreyn Lol! Thanks xD my apologizes.

Will do! Thanks guys

message 43: by Loreyn (new)

Will do! Thanks guys

message 44: by Loreyn (new)

Will do! Thanks guys

message 45: by sara (new)

sara (hazysunsets) Hmmm... My mum as well always read too me at night, before I went too bed, until I started reading on my own my first finished book was The Faraway Tree.. The Magic Faraway Tree and I never stopped reading since, I think my mum seriously regrets it now.

message 46: by Aida (new)

Aida (aidalf) | 8 comments I'm from Iran and my English is good. I watched movies A LOT without subtitle but I hadn't tried to read English books. I started from little stories and fanfictions of wattpad then my cousin told me where i can buy English Novels so I did. I've been a bookworm ever since =)
But unfortunately there are quit a few English books in my country so i mostly read them on my computer, phone or Ipad and it sucks :(

message 47: by Anna (last edited Mar 02, 2016 01:20AM) (new)

Anna My Dad bought us (my sister and I) some reading material for our vacation and I got hooked. Started with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, moved on to more mature authors and along with way somehow got hooked on romance! Do I love romance!! It has such a feel good factor!

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna Gorab wrote: "I started reading novels while pretending to study text books around 8th standard :D

Yes I remember the times when I used to read novels by candlelight! But no such dedication when it came to school books.

message 49: by Anna (new)

Anna Meera wrote: "Got Cindrella as a Gift,which got me hooked to Fairy tales..then Famous Five..Seven.. Archies,Hardy Boys..Holmes, Robin Cook,Tess Gerristen ,Gardener,Grisham,Allistar,Brown..

Wait..

before that I..."

Sometimes I feel reading romance makes me not such an avid reader but it has made a better reader. I love books, and if they are romance, I would read them like my life depended on it!

message 50: by Leah (new)

Leah Sobernheim | 3 comments I've always enjoyed reading but I really fell in love with books in 5th grade. My library had millions of the Nancy Drew books and I could not put them down.

« previous 1