Reader's Paradise discussion

Book Corner!! > First Line Is...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (last edited Aug 28, 2015 11:57PM) (new)

Jarvis  | 2591 comments Mod
Please share the first line on the book you are currently reading so that those first few words intrigue others to read it!

Please DO NOT post first lines of ARCs as they are advance copies and aren't publised.
To maintain the uniformity of the thread, post only the first line (post till you reach the first fullstop) and post the link to the book and not the book cover.
Finally, please do not spam, again to maintain the uniformity! :)

"It was in my fifty-third year of practicing law, and my eightieth year of life here on this earth, that I was to undertake an odyssey that would change my life forever." ~ The Ultimate Gift

message 2: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
I wake with his name in my mouth - Insurgent

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 638 comments Mod
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. - The Old Man and the Sea

message 4: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Rodriguez "I looked through the scope of the sniper rifle, scanning down the road of the tiny Iraqi town." - American Sniper

message 5: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"THE CROWDED RED double-decker bus inched its way through the snarl of traffic in Aldgate." - To Sir, With Love

message 6: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 288 comments "It was a pleasure to burn"- Fahrenheit 451

But more intriguing was the line in the title page:
"Fahrenheit 451-The temperature at which paper catches fire and burns..."

message 7: by Karolina Kat (new)

Karolina Kat (lindetiel) | 144 comments "IN A DISTANT and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part..."

The Colour of Magic

message 8: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

There was a harsh gale blowing on the night Yarvi learned he was a king. - Half a King

message 9: by Annette, The Manager (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 1178 comments Mod
My sweater was new ,stinging red and ugly - Sharp Objects

message 10: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

The summer of 1947 was not like other Indian summers. - Train to Pakistan

message 11: by Utkarsh (new)

Utkarsh (utkarsh12) | 521 comments I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time. --The Shadow of the Wind

message 12: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"I was standing at the window of Poirot's rooms looking out idly on the street below." - Poirot Investigates

message 13: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"Eyes mark the shape of the city." - After Dark

message 14: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) There are only so many hours Grace can stay away from home. - Saving Grace

Moros might have been horn of darkness but that didn't mean he shied away from light. - Fated (IF you are intrigued about this book I recommend reading Marked and Claimed, books 1 & 2 of the Servants of Fate series)

message 15: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"Toronto, December 2000—I visited my parents a few weeks before Christmas." - Eulogy

message 16: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) "She only stopped screaming when she died."-Kane and Abel

message 17: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"She only stopped screaming when she died." - Kane & Abel

message 18: by Karman (new)

Karman (khwabieda) | 142 comments It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. 1984

message 19: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

The day started off all wrong. - Every Big & Little Wish

message 20: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) "Drop the panties, or the octopus gets it." - It's In His Touch (LOL when I read that line.)

message 21: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) "Joost had only two problems-the moon and his mustache."-Six of Crows

message 22: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

When you and I are together, you often ask me questions about many things and I try to answer them. - Letters from a Father to his Daughter

message 23: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

There was a boy in her room. - Fangirl

message 24: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) There was a boy in her room. -Fangirl

message 25: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) Winter's toes had become ice cubes. - Winter by Marissa Meyer

message 26: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. -To Kill a Mockingbird

message 27: by Reshma (last edited Nov 24, 2015 12:22AM) (new)

Reshma (ReadAway) | 33 comments "The Signora had no business to do it", said Miss Bartlett, "no business at all". - A Room with a View

message 28: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

"Mrs. Ballinger is one of the ladies who pursue Culture in bands, as though it were dangerous to meet alone." - Xingu

message 29: by Reshma (new)

Reshma (ReadAway) | 33 comments Although it was impossible to judge direction cleanly from these depths, far below Groom Lake, Donald Stephenson knew the tunnel ran southwest. The Second Ship

message 30: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

message 31: by Diptarup (new)

Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar | 83 comments You are about to begin reading Italo Cavino's new novel, "If on a winter's night a traveler". If on a Winter's Night a Traveller

message 32: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

Everyone thinks it was because of the snow. - If I Stay

message 33: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) I want to tell you some important things before we start our journey. -Boy's life

message 34: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle. - Paper Towns

message 35: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) Barrett English. Emily's heart kicked into a gallop as she looked down at the caller ID on her buzzing phone. - Breaking up with Barrett.

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Palliveettil (jenyalphinegeorge) | 638 comments Mod
This was getting old- DUFF

message 37: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) There was thing waiting in the darkness. - Queen of shadows

message 38: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. - Dark Places

message 39: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of dragonstone, like a wound in the pink and purple sky.- A Clash of Kings

message 40: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) IN THE CORNER of a first-class smoking carriage, Mr. Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times. - And Then There Were None

message 41: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) When he emerges from the bathroom she is awake, propped up against the pillows and flicking through travel brochures that were beside the bed. Me Before You

message 42: by Wendy (last edited Mar 15, 2016 09:22PM) (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) I was assaulted by the smell of exhaust and rancid garbage as I stepped off the bus. Becoming Calder

message 43: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

Holly held the blue sweater to her face and the familiar smell immediately struck her, an overwhelming grief knotting her stomach and pulling at her heart. - P.S. I Love You

message 44: by Manasa (last edited Mar 18, 2016 11:43PM) (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) The forest was a labyrinth of snow and ice. - A Court of Thorns and Roses

message 45: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) SCARLETT O'HARA was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.- Gone with the Wind

message 46: by Reshma (new)

Reshma (ReadAway) | 33 comments It took me less than half a lifetime to realize that regret is one of the few guaranteed certainties. Sleeping in Flame

message 47: by Jarvis , High Functioning Sociopath B-) (new)

My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. - We Have Always Lived in the Castle

message 48: by Rei (new)

Rei Hanabi "Can't I be left alone?" cried young Prince Abderian as the rock slammed into his desk. -- The Curse of Sagamore

(cheated a bit and used the first line of a book I want to read for a third time!)

message 49: by Manasa (new)

Manasa (manasa_sharma) My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. - We Have Always Lived in the Castle

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

When he was nearly thirteen my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.- To Kill a Mockingbird

« previous 1