Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Help! Added by mistake!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 8 comments I added The Summer House by Santa Montefiore because I could not find it in Santa Montefiore's list of books.

Later I discovered that it did exist, so I moved my review there but can't work out how to remove my unnecessary one. I'ved tried clicking "combine" but that just takes me to Montefiore's list of books - where MY version of The Summer House appears but the correct version of The Summer House does not.

This is my mistakenly created one:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

and the correct one:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments It does appear in her list of books, but under the title The Woman from Paris: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

There is no info at all on the book record you created. Is it exactly the same as the correct one you linked to, or is it another edition?

message 3: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 8 comments I removed everything from the book record I created, because I realised I should not have created it. That's why I just want to delete it.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments It needs to be combined with another edition before it can be deleted. I'd like to merge it with the correct edition, is that the second one you linked to?

message 5: by lethe (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:15AM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Merged it with this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

In future, please do not remove info from the book record before requesting a deletion. We'd like to make sure the book is merged with the correct edition, so that the ratings and reviews are moved to the correct edition as well.

message 6: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 8 comments Thanks, but the reason I did it is that I did not see why it should be merged. It is not a "different edition", that edition is already there - I added it again and it should never have existed.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Dorothy wrote: "Thanks, but the reason I did it is that I did not see why it should be merged. It is not a "different edition", that edition is already there - I added it again and it should never have existed."

Because books are never deleted, but merged into an existing/correct edition. This edition had several ratings/reviews and if we had just deleted it, these ratings/reviews would have been lost.

message 8: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 8 comments OK now I know for the future. The reason I removed the details was in the hope that I would discourage anyone from leaving reviews on it, while I worked out how to get rid of it. As it turned out, my edition had no reviews apart from my own, which I deleted. I did notice it had received one other rating, but that was all.

Just a question - is it standard practice to merge all the different editions even when the title is different? That's why I had so much difficulty finding this book, because the editions called "The Summer House" were all hidden under its new title. My edition was from 2015 so it never occurred to me it would've changed its title already.

message 9: by lethe (last edited Aug 25, 2015 11:39AM) (new)

lethe | 13747 comments The review showing may have been a caching thing. But one or two people had rated the edition and others had added it to their shelves. We do not want to get rid of those.

If editions of the same book are titled differently (often a UK-US thing, f.e. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone vs Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Mr. Rosenblum's List, or, Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman vs Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English), they are combined. It would not make sense to keep them apart when we do combine translations.

BTW, if you search for ISBN it should always lead you straight to the correct edition (unless the ISBN is not in the database yet). If you search for title, the default edition will show up first. Same with translated editions. If I search for Harry Potter en de Steen der Wijzen the English edition will show up, because that one is the most added. This seems to have changed recently. If you type in the whole title, that title will show up.

BTW2, I looked at your shelves and you have two editions of The Summer House listed. The one with the review is another than the one I merged the incomplete edition with, so it looks like it wasn't the correct edition after all? Anyway, if you want to delete one of them from your list, just click on the X at the right.