Real Christian discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Devotionals > Should We Do Devotions

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Hi friends (: Well Matt suggested we do a group devotion. Its really a great idea. However in order to do something like that would take a lot of volunteers and effort. So I have a question for you all- Do y'all think we should do a group devotion here?? Please let me know in the comments below what you think. I appreciate all your comments(:

Stay blessed-

message 2: by Halee (new)

Halee (im4israel) I think it would probably be good for the group.. You know, get closer to each other and to God. But do you think it would be too much with the regular Bible Buddy thing?

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) What were you thinking for the devotion? Someone leading it? Going through a workbook type thing? I'm game for whatever, just not leading it. I don't have the time in my schedule to devote to planning it out. I'll be happy to participate, though!

message 4: by Ashis (new)

Ashis (ashisrai_) | 28 comments Halee wrote: "I think it would probably be good for the group.. You know, get closer to each other and to God. But do you think it would be too much with the regular Bible Buddy thing?"

That would be great Halee but just wondering about timezone.

message 5: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (last edited Aug 24, 2015 10:40AM) (new)

Hey again (:
Well Andrea, Matt was thinking like a 7 day devotional in which we would need seven volunteers to write a devotional per day, so he would clearly have to explain more on a topic since I really have no work in such. Lol. I'm so lost on this. Hehe
So also if any of y'all would be up to volunteer then you'd be like the best (for the day that is.) Hahaha XP Sorry I'm being goofy, Mondays are Soooo tiring so I must give a laugh ;)
And thank yall for all the opinions!!!(: Where my other 67 members went I don't know?? Helooooo?? Haha

Maybe when Matt gets on he can explain more in depth. But thank y'all nonetheless(:

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments Perhaps a way of taking this idea forward, as in some Christian/church websites, is to have a theme for the week, a verse (or short Bible passage) related to that theme each day, together with a brief 'thought-for-the-day' comment on that verse. Whole thing could end off with a prayer for readers to pray. One person could prepare a week's material at a time (rather than seven different people) which might help maintain continuity. Hope this helps!!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Stephen, I like that idea. Very organized!

message 8: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Very good idea Stephen for sure!!!(:
Thank you!
Would you be up for volunteering if we do decide to take this idea forth? (:

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I like this idea a lot. I don't think I have the time to volunteer though, I'm just too busy, maybe I could do one day, but probably not a week.

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) @Ashis I don't think time zone would be a problem, as long as you're doing it on the same day of the week as the rest of us. :)

message 11: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yea I agree. That's why a day may be a thought still because I really don't have the time with doing all the other stuff. Haha. But ya know something to think about. Lol.
I agreed with Tamera, it won't be a problem Ashis(:

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments In reply to earlier posting, am happy to volunteer if group want to take idea forward.

message 13: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh well thank you!! (:
I will let you know if we push this idea forward. Thanks again!!

message 14: by Matt (new)

Matt Hart | 148 comments So what Stephen said is basically the idea -- a person takes a week and provides devos for that week. It's fine if it takes a few months to get a year's worth.

Two ways to do it -- topical, where each person picks a topic for their week, or through the Bible -- each person takes 1/52nd of the Bible, in order, and does a week's devos on that section of the Bible. That's a pretty easy way since you can pick anything you want in what would be a fairly large section.

Once a year's worth is available, it gets edited, and we go through it ourselves as well as publish it. Create a poll to determine what to do with any revenue (make it free, but some platforms require $ amount on it). Suggestions from me would be to just donate it to Gospel for Asia, Water of Life (Cambodia), or some other worthy place.

message 15: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh that sounds great!! Really good idea in my opinion! Thanks for clarifying! And yes if so I would agree to one of those funds(:

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt Hart | 148 comments Could you make some polls -- would you write devotions with the group and would you rather have Topics (decided by the writer), Topics (decided by the editor) or 1/52nd of the Bible?

Something like that.

message 17: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh yes! I'll get right on that for sure (:
May take me a few but I will make it soon!

message 18: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I put up a poll for the devotions part. I'll wait to do the rest. :)

message 19: by Aster (new)

Aster Sounds great! I've never done anything like this before though, so I have almost no idea how group devotions work. :P

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt Hart | 148 comments Assuming we go ahead, I'll do the first week so y'all can have an example that you can follow. It's fine to do your own style, although we'll want to keep them all near the same length.

message 21: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yay!! Thanks Tamera!! (:
I agree! If we push forward I think this will be lots of fun!
And I agree Matt! That would probably be a help to us all!!
(:

message 22: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Are we going to try to do a theme or not?

message 23: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Ohhhhhhh I don't know *looks around thinking* Lol
What you think?

message 24: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I think it would help other people who are going to do the devotions, that way they have a guideline of what to write. Make sense?

message 25: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yeah I think so!!(: Like a theme for every week?

message 26: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Yeah, or even for every month, that way a couple people could give their ideas on the same theme. It could be pretty generic, that way the subject is broad enough. :) just an idea of course. :)

message 27: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh that sounds really good!! Great idea really(:

message 28: by Matt (new)

Matt Hart | 148 comments Theme ideas to bat around:
- Agape -- aka Christian love
- Salvation -- why we need it, uniqueness of Jesus
- Bondservant -- what it means to be a Christian
- Persecuted Church -- in the past and now
- History -- church history
- Future -- biblical prophesy
- Women and Men -- challenges we face
- Old Testament -- from faith to law, kingdom to apostasy, remnant to prophets
- Jesus' ministry
- Jesus' death and resurrection
- Apostles

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina I am very interested in this!! And in need of this!!!!

message 30: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) That's a great list Matt!!

message 31: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Very terrific Matt!!!
I'm studying up on this all! What week you think we should kick this off. Either next week or the following. I say the following so you can have some time to get ready?? You said you could take the first week and I got the second. I will message a few people and get a volunteer topic going and see who else will take a week from there. (:
What you think???

message 32: by Matt (new)

Matt Hart | 148 comments Okay. The list is just a suggestion, so change whatever you'd like. I will do seven devos on agape, so if you take the second week that'd be seven more on agape, right? A topic per month?

message 33: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yeah that would be ok. Or would you think a different topic for every week? Either one sounds good to me(: So whichever one you think?

message 34: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Ok guys!! (:
We will start up Next Monday- September 7th!! God bless!!(:

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.