History in Vogue discussion

Bel-Ami
This topic is about Bel-Ami
2015 > Bel Ami : An Introduction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (last edited Aug 23, 2015 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marie Williams | 561 comments Mod
Young, attractive and very ambitious, George Duroy, known to his friends as Bel-Ami, is offered a job as a journalist on La Vie francaise and soon makes a great success of his new career. But he also comes face to face with the realities of the corrupt society in which he lives - the sleazy colleagues, the manipulative mistresses and wily financiers - and swiftly learns to become an arch-seducer, blackmailer and social climber in a world where love is only a means to an end.

Written when Maupassant was at the height of his powers, Bel-Ami is a novel of great frankness and cynicism, but it is also infused with the sheer joy of life - depicting the scenes and characters of Paris in the belle epoque with wit, sensitivity and humanity.

from the Penguin Classics edition

Reading Schedule for the Month of September:

September 1 : Chapters 1 - 4
September 8 : Chapters 5 - 8
September 15 : Chapters 9 - 12
September 22 : Chapters 13 - 16
September 28 : The Conclusion and The Necklace

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 98 comments Hi Marie, what are the ch numbers (range) for the week of sept 28.

I'm a little anal about keeping up with the chapter numbers. The

Marie Williams | 561 comments Mod
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Hi Marie, what are the ch numbers (range) for the week of sept 28.

I'm a little anal about keeping up with the chapter numbers. The"

The last section is chapters 17 and 18. The book is a lot shorter than I remembered, but I forgot my copy had so many notes/biography added.