The Incarnations The Incarnations discussion

Has anyone read this yet? Too gory and violent? or worth it?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JO (new)

JO I just read about this book in the Sunday paper and I find the topic very intriguing but not sure I can handle or the rape and violences. Has anyone read it and can you tell if it is as bad as the review stated? I know the violent history is realistic.

Ronja I have read it very recently and I found it absolutely fantastic. I didn't find it overly violent, so you should be ok. It's absolutely worth reading! :-)

message 3: by Mouse_Woman (new) - added it

Mouse_Woman I was just about to begin it, and now consider myself warned. Although since I've already bought it, I'll try.

I do wish so many books weren't so violent and negative. I've read three in the past year that started off great and then turned into something I wished I hadn't read at the end.

guiltlessreader I thought it was fantastic. Just go into it knowing that there is gore and violence.

message 5: by Mouse_Woman (new) - added it

Mouse_Woman I tried. Thumbs down. Horrible stories. Well written, though.

I didn't finish it.

shannon the rape content got to me. i didn't find there to be much gory violence -- and i can be sensitive to that sort of thing -- but oy, there's a deeper and more emotional violence throughout this book that is very disturbing.

David Schwinghammer I had trouble telling who was who during the incarnations.

Greg David wrote: "I had trouble telling who was who during the incarnations."
David, me too. I couldn't find a narrative thread at all. I liked the historical set pieces though. Two star rating from me.

Greg Joni wrote: "I just read about this book in the Sunday paper and I find the topic very intriguing but not sure I can handle or the rape and violences. Has anyone read it and can you tell if it is as bad as the ..."

David wrote: "I had trouble telling who was who during the incarnations."
David, me too. I couldn't find a narrative thread at all. I liked the historical set pieces though. Two star rating from me.

message 10: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Joni wrote: "I just read about this book in the Sunday paper and I find the topic very intriguing but not sure I can handle or the rape and violences. Has anyone read it and can you tell if it is as bad as the ..."
I found it far less horrific than many other books. The goriest parts fall into historical set pieces. But I don't recommend it anyway, not much of a story.

Meredith I loved the Incarnations. There is an emotional payoff at the end. I didn't find the violence to be too detailed/gory, but it is present.

Lianne Burwell I found it to be very dark and depressing. I can appreciate the quality of the writing, but it was too dark for my tastes.

message 13: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne too brutal and violent. I couldn't get past the brothel section. Give me David Mitchell any day.