Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Automated imports

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ximena (new)

Ximena (ximenaalarco) | 6 comments Hi! While I was working yesterday in several books, I realized that there's a lot of inaccurate or plain wrong information that was somehow automatically imported from different databases. I realized also that this databases updated the (wrong) information every once in a while (last one for most of them was 2 months ago or less).

So I was wondering, since this happen in an automated way, does that mean that all my hard work and all the inaccuracies I've already changed could go to waste next time these automatic databases decide to make their next update? =S

I most certainly hope not, but I don't see how they (being machines) could tell that the information now has been taken from the actual book and doesn't need to be replace.

I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thank you very much for your time!

message 2: by Empress (last edited Aug 23, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) There are different priorities. Some scripts can over write other scripts data. In general user data has priority over all scripts but occasionally those need to get fixed. If you notice something you can report it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If a script keeps over-writing it's own information reverting the last change would be considered user-data and will interrupt the over-write.

message 3: by Ximena (new)

Ximena (ximenaalarco) | 6 comments I see... Thank you, Ellie! I hope scripts won't overwrite the new information, but just to prevent, do you know if ther's any way I can be notified whenever someone (even the scripts) makes a change to the details of the books I updated, so I can go take a look and make the report if needed?

message 4: by Empress (last edited Aug 23, 2015 10:07AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) No way of getting notifications on changes. The only way would be to bookmark it (shelve it) and check on it later, or just let it be until another librarian notices the script changes.

message 5: by Ximena (new)

Ximena (ximenaalarco) | 6 comments Oh! Bummer =( Well, thank you for the information... I'll just keep my fingers crossed and check my books every now and then... Thanks!