YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Day We Are Born (an Elements novel)
This topic is about The Day We Are Born
GROUP BUDDY READ > The Day We Are Born (Elements #1) by Philippa Cameron - GBR - Starting September 7th 2015

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82890 comments Mod

How do you get through every day when you think you should be dead?

Elle is 13 when she realizes she is not meant to be here. Telling her parents lands her in therapy and on anti-depressants, and by the age of 16 nothing has changed…

It doesn't stop Elle trying to get through her days in one piece, however. And when she finds out that her favorite band is playing at a nearby festival she faces the challenge of persuading her parents to let her out of their sight. Getting that right is going to take a lot of work, but she needs them to let her go – and she doesn’t mean only to the concert.

Bad-tempered best friend Libby is hatching all sorts of plans, and their ticket to the festival may just be Sam, a boy who seems to want to be more than just friends. Elle doesn’t have the energy for a boyfriend, though, but does she even have a choice? Because something weird happens every time she and Sam are in the same room…

The Day We Are Born is about best friends, being a daughter, and falling in love for the first time.

The Day We Are Born is the first novel in the Elements series. Each novel is a stand-alone book, linked by its connection to one or more of the elements - earth, wind, fire and water.

The Day We Are Born (Elements #1) by Philippa Cameron will be our first Indie GBR for September 2015.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

Jenna | 11 comments Just bought it! A friend read it recently and loved it - she said it was very moving, but also funny and heartwarming, and beautifully written, so I'm looking forward to the group read!

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Already got it. On my TBR list, and this will be my first ever Group Buddy read!
I checked out Philippa Cameron's page: this is her first book, and there's a free novella that comes after it (it looks like you can actually download it from the GoodReads page), and her next book will be out later this year.

Tarryn | 1 comments Guys, I read this as an ARC... and loved it! Some people have said it has shades of John Green, Gayle Forman and Rainbow Rowell, and I agree, although I think the author has an original voice of her own. I read it at the end of last year, so maybe I'll read it along with you again...

Lilian | 3 comments Sorry to be missing this buddy read - I just finished it! But I will follow your comments to see what you think. It'll definitely touch you if you have any experience with depression, whether its yourself or someone close to you, but you also don't have to have any clue about it to get something out of it - it's an awesome story all on its own! Very good contemporary YA. Enjoy!

Lilian | 3 comments Oh, and I'm excited to hear she has another book coming out later this year!

Welcome to the group guys, don't remember seeing any of you around here before so hope you all enjoy buddy reading ☺

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (croft) | 414 comments Sarah wrote: "Welcome to the group guys, don't remember seeing any of you around here before so hope you all enjoy buddy reading ☺"

ok can i join this reading buddy here that on this group here?

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "Welcome to the group guys, don't remember seeing any of you around here before so hope you all enjoy buddy reading ☺"

I've been a buddy reading stalker!! Never done one before, so I've been watching how it's done - now I'm ready...I hope!

Jenna | 11 comments Olivia wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Welcome to the group guys, don't remember seeing any of you around here before so hope you all enjoy buddy reading ☺"

ok can i join this reading buddy here that on this group here?"

Hi Olivia, yip, this is where you join up - and we all start reading on September 7...

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Chapter 1-3: Great start to the book - really feeling the darkness. I enjoy stories with strong female friendships, and I think this is developing into one of them. Also liking the water imagery. (view spoiler)

Keira wrote: "Chapter 1-3: Great start to the book - really feeling the darkness. I enjoy stories with strong female friendships, and I think this is developing into one of them. Also liking the water imagery. [..."

(view spoiler)

10% (view spoiler)

18% (view spoiler)

25% (view spoiler)

Sadie | 2 comments Sarah wrote: "25% [spoilers removed]"

A friend of mine who suffers from depressive episodes once described it as when her world has no colour - so it felt freaky to read that she's not the only one!

Jenna | 11 comments 50% Had an evening free and got lost in this... (view spoiler)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "10% [spoilers removed]"

It does!

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "18% [spoilers removed]"

Snap.

Amanda P (dctocali) Sarah wrote: "25% [spoilers removed]"

I thought that was crazy too!

Amanda P (dctocali) I am enjoying the book so far.
I was on a plane reading and took some notes. So here are some posts I had written.

Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

Chapter 7: (view spoiler)

Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

The end (view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Amanda P wrote: "I am enjoying the book so far.
I was on a plane reading and took some notes. So here are some posts I had written.

Chapter 3: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 7: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 11: [spoile..."

(view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Chapter 4- 23
(view spoiler)

Jenna | 11 comments 75% (view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Chapter 34 (view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Chapter 44 (view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "18% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Keira Alworth | 10 comments Chapter 44 - end (view spoiler)

Keira wrote: "Chapter 44 -"

(view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5702 comments Chapter 10.. I gotta say it is different from anything I have read before... I honestly find it a little unsettling. But that's just me... I keep reading great comments about it so maybe it gets better...

Cinthia | 5702 comments 42% ok I can see now why its popular. Sooo liking it....

Cinthia | 5702 comments 65%. I love all the characters! They each make this story so much more enjoyable. Getting this far puts many things into prospective. I hope it continues to get better and better... now I must sleep... to be continued...

message 36: by Jenna (last edited Sep 11, 2015 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna | 11 comments 75%-100% (view spoiler)

Jenna | 11 comments Keira wrote: "Chapter 44 [spoilers removed]"

I love that quote!

Jenna | 11 comments Sarah wrote: "The end [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jenna | 11 comments Cinthia wrote: "Chapter 10.. I gotta say it is different from anything I have read before... I honestly find it a little unsettling. But that's just me... I keep reading great comments about it so maybe it gets b..."

You have used the perfect word to describe this book - unsettling. It's a roller coaster - I never quite knew how I was feeling - happy/sad/both at the same time.

Cinthia | 5702 comments Done! ;( To whoever suggested this read.. thank you.. to the author: Awesome book. I have to say I thought I was not going to like this book but I sincerely LOVED it.. I cant wait for the next one..

Have you guys read the free novella that happens after this book? You can download it for free on Goodreads here - https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down...

Cinthia | 5702 comments Sarah wrote: "Have you guys read the free novella that happens after this book? You can download it for free on Goodreads here - https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down..."

Awesome!! I will read it later today...

Amanda P (dctocali) How do you all finish so quickly! Still chugging along slowly over here.

Jenna | 11 comments Keira wrote: "Chapter 44 - end Okay, I confess: I cried at the end. I think it was shock more than anything. I know it's written sort of open-ended, so I guess we decide what happens, and maybe it's my dark sid..."

I love that anxiety quote too!

Jenna | 11 comments Sarah wrote: "Have you guys read the free novella that happens after this book? You can download it for free on Goodreads here - https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down..."

Just finished it... (view spoiler)

Amanda P (dctocali) Finished! (view spoiler)

Jenna wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Have you guys read the free novella that happens after this book? You can download it for free on Goodreads here - https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down..."

J..."

(view spoiler)

Jenna | 11 comments Took me awhile to find this thread! But just had to let you guys know that Philippa Cameron has released a second full-length novel - I read it in one sitting this last weekend, and I loved it! Different to her first book although her writing style is the same - thank goodness - but the topic is different, and it's fill of suspense, which is why I ended up reading it in one go! It's called Every Move I Have Made - would love to hear what you think. Maybe someone could suggest it as a group read? I'll read it again with you!!