Short Story Connect discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Where (and how often) do you follow short stories?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bitmaid (new)

bitmaid | 3 comments So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you guys are mostly getting your reading from these places too and how do you feel about frequent releases. I like reading shorts, but they sort of "clutter" the catalog on my device sometimes...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

bitmaid wrote: "So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you guys are mostly getting your reading from these places too ..."

I have a Kindle that died, but I do download from them to my PC. I agree some subscriptions can get to be too much. It gets to the point where you start asking, "Did I originally just want a piece of good apple pie? So how did I end up in this pie eating contest?" I find I discover a short story author and read through them. Grace Paley, William Trevor. I love the Irish. And I love real books, as handy as the Kindle is.

message 3: by bitmaid (new)

bitmaid | 3 comments Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you guys are mostly getting your reading from t..."

I LOVE the apple pie analogy!! It's exactly how I feel :)

How do you go about finding these authors? I used to browse randomly on Amazon but I thought there's got to be a better way.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2015 02:08AM) (new)

bitmaid wrote: "Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you guys are mostly getting your ..."

Hmm. Well, I've been reading them for years and years. I have several anthologies, and I work from them, so you could call one up on Amazon and use the "Look Inside" feature to look at the authors in the index. There's also every year the "Best American Short Stories of 2013," and every year before and after, which covers what's really current and every genre. I also use Facebook not to keep in touch with people but to get feeds from literary journals by following them, and they have short stories. There's Literary Hub, and Narrative, lots and lots of them, and most of them have one short story, at least, per issue that they post for free. I also follow The Dublin Review of Books, the Manchester Guardian book section, so I get reviews, and essays about writers that mention other writers. And Facebook will make suggestions, you know how that is. And pretty soon, pie eating contest!

Edit: Oh, by all means follow The Paris Review. They run interviews with writers, going back decades, and they talk about what writers influenced them.

Oh, for example, look at https://theamericanscholar.org/daily-...

Final edit, I promise: I forgot my FAVORITE, Arts and Letters Daily.

http://www.aldaily.com/

They update every Monday,I think. Literature, philosophy, science, you name it, and on the left hand side of the screen, down a ways, is a list of magazines they follow. I've found tons and tons of stuff there in those links. I think this is the site that keeps me most up to date.

message 5: by bitmaid (new)

bitmaid | 3 comments Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you guys are most..."

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I used to read Best American Short Stories and keep anthologies as well, now I'm looking to read directly from authors (if they have a web presence). Curated content does have higher quality in general, though. I'm definitely going to follow Arts and Letters Daily now, too!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

bitmaid wrote: "Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "Ellen wrote: "bitmaid wrote: "So I'm getting a lot of weekly releases of short stories & chapters in a series from Amazon as well as Wattpad. I'm just wondering if you..."

Good point about curated content. I never thought of that term in relation to literature, but it's very apt, and you're absolutely right!

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Hammer | 1 comments i recently saw this site - https://shortfictionwritersguild.word...