Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

You and Your Books > Why do you stop reading?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 8 comments The Mysteristas had some summer polls and one was asking readers why they don't finish a book. I've noticed I'm not finishing mystery books more and more and I wonder if other readers are experiencing the same thing. My reason is largely boredom. The book isn't taking me anywhere new or the writing isn't carrying me through my doubts.

Veronica ⭐️ | 80 comments I finish every book I start even if I'm bored with the story. I'm not sure if it's because I'm hoping the story will get better or if it's because I paid money for the book and I'm determined to read it all.

message 3: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 83 comments It would have to be really bad and long for me to give up. Such Is Life: Being Certain Extracts from the Diary of Tom Collins is one that I DNF'd

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookworm2017) | 34 comments If it's not for me, too many books out there to waste on one I'm not enjoying

message 5: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 8934 comments Mod
That's the way I feel too Kat...life's too short!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 491 comments What is this stop reading concept? I don't understand. The book would have to be beyond bad for me to even contemplate such a decision. So far it has never happened to me.

message 7: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

You're lucky Michael! For me, there are far too many good books out there waiting to be read. If a book doesn't grab me; or any other reason - it's a DNF! I'm lucky I haven't had too many...but there definitely have been a few!

So consider yourself lucky;)

message 8: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 2 comments I remember reading somewhere about an author that gives a book 50 pages to hook them in, that's been my mantra since then.
I agree....too many good books out there to waste on one that you don't enjoy.

message 9: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Phrynne | 3311 comments Mod
I give them more than than 50 pages but if I get to a point where I am saying to myself "oh this is rubbish - I can't bear any more of this" then I stop. Reading is for pleasure:)

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 23 comments Kat wrote: "If it's not for me, too many books out there to waste on one I'm not enjoying"

So true Kat you may be missing a fabulous book

message 11: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 646 comments If the writing is terrible, I give up straight away. But if it is just hard to get into, or a bit slow, I will keep going till about 1/3rd of the way, give it a chance to improve

message 12: by Neville (new)

Neville | 84 comments I will stop reading a book if it has not "grabbed" me. I have only not finished 2 this year. I have so many books on my TBR list and I read for the enjoyment.

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 237 comments I have been on GR since the end of 2009. And, in that time, I have only DNF'd two books. One was a translated book that won the Nobel Prize (Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter), but I just could not follow the story! The other was just inane, as far as I was concerned, and I lost patience with it (Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery).

Yes, I have read bad books, although very few. I seem to feel that, if the book was written, there must be something the author is trying to say. Some books that I start go on my "to finish reading" shelf. These are books that aren't working for me at this time, but that I will give another try in the future...maybe. So far, I only have four on that shelf - 3 of which I know that I will read at some point.

message 14: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) Generally speaking I agree with the sentiment that life is too short to be bogged down by a book you don't like, and there are so many other great books waiting to be read. I had the dilemma only a couple of weeks ago with a book which had a very appealing publicity blurb, which had attracted my interest. I got half-way through and thought, "this is dull and repetitive, will I keep going?" I persisted to the end, the book livened up a little at one stage, but I finished with a decidedly flat feeling. Could have spent that time reading something far more engaging.
I think there are three good reasons for abandoning a book part way:
1. if the prose is so poor or obscure you can't bear it
2. if the narrative structure is so convoluted or incoherent that you can't follow it
3. if the subject matter is so dull or offensive that you don't wish to endure it any longer.

message 15: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Phrynne | 3311 comments Mod
I took a book back to the library just this week after reading only the first chapter. I could tell it was not something I was going to enjoy and I have so many other books waiting that I know I am going to love! Life’s too short:)

message 16: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I agree with the "life's too short" sentiment now that I'm older and know I don't have as much time as I'd like to read all the books I'd like to! I used to read them all to the finish even if I wasn't enjoying them, but feel now that with the amount of books I have in my hands, that I want to love them all!

message 17: by Li'l Owl (last edited Jan 13, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Li'l Owl | 1064 comments Yep, I'm getting less tolerant, or impatient with books that I don't care for for the same reason. I don't have time, or care to read a book I don't enjoy. Having said that, I'm also taking far more care when adding new books TBR than I was even a year ago.
I look to see what my friends have said about it first and formost. I'm very grateful that I have very similar tastes as a number of friends, Brenda, Phrynne, Carolyn, Crumb, to name a few off the top of my head. I've met so many friends who love the same books that I do so I don't go wrong 99% of the time. It's been a long time since I read a book I didn't like. I have very few books that rate lower than 4★'s.
In fact, if I come across one I'm not into, I give up. I don't always DNF them though as it's usually me and not the author that's the problem. I learned that from a friend from this group and from Assie Readers. I have come far in a year!
Thanks, friends!
xx

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 23 comments I stop reading because the book is boring characters are not that great & there are plenty of other books I want to read I DNF because the book is poor.

message 19: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 646 comments Is there a DNF button on Goodreads? If I stop reading a book, I just delete it off my book list completely.

message 20: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

We make our own DNF shelf Kerri :) Just the same as any other shelf you create...

message 21: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 646 comments ahh, gotcha. I will just delete I think, there aren't that many of them.

message 22: by MaryG2E (last edited Jan 13, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) As Brenda has noted, we can make our own DNF shelf, or as Kerri says, we can delete completely. Formerly I would have done as Kerri does, but in recent years I feel I want to keep a record of what I have started but not finished. I also made a shelf called "Stinker", so with some of the books I abandon, I know why!

message 23: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Yes that's the main reason - so I'm not tempted to pick it up again, thinking I haven't read it :)

message 24: by William (new)

William Freeman | 5 comments I started not finishing books after I joined a book group first year or two I persevered after that I decided life's to short and there are lots of books out there I want to read

message 25: by Joss (new)

Joss (jossdi) | 23 comments I stop reading once I find that the book is:

Not what I want to read
The book is badly written, or uses too much foul language
Has a lot of incest and descriptions of abuse, especially on children
Or is totally bland

I do read on to about the halfway mark and often I am surprised that once I get into a book, I start to enjoy it. I have only stopped reading one book this year

message 26: by William (new)

William Freeman | 5 comments If the book doesn't really grab me though I used to plow through books just in case it got better. In the last eighteen months I have nearly stopped reading completely as my partner has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I found that I was either to exhausted or just could not concentrate

message 27: by Laur (new)

Laur (httpswwwgoodreadscomlaur) Brenda wrote: "That's the way I feel too Kat...life's too short!"

Agreeing both with Kat and Brenda. Life's too short...so many books, so little time. Choose wisely those that have the capacity to entertain and leave impression on your soul.

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Laur wrote: "Brenda wrote: "That's the way I feel too Kat...life's too short!"

Agreeing both with Kat and Brenda. Life's too short...so many books, so little time. Choose wisely those that have the capacity to..."

Yes I agree as well. Life is too short.. and there are too many books!

message 29: by William (new)

William Freeman | 5 comments After spending years finishing books I didn't like I decided lifes to short stop wasting time on something you are struggling through. If I don't like the book my reading rate slows down and with so many other books waiting to be read nope these days they get the flick.