Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Of Mice and Men

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know if this topic has been discussed here, but do you remember reading "Of Mice and Men" in middle school? I sure did. I really enjoyed the novella. Some of the language was a little rough and somewhat racist in nature, but what would you expect from a story from the 1930s. In my opinion this was one of John Steinbeck's best works. What do you think about the story? Did you like or dislike it? And why/

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 246 comments It is a classic. Steinbeck also reworked the material into a drama, which is very powerful.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I never read the book in high school. In fact, I only read it for the first time last year and absolutely loved it! It was beautifully written and incredibly moving. Have to admit I actually cried at the end, lol. Great book.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I first read of mice and men in grade 8 because I was finished all of my English projects and my teacher picked it out to me to "read for fun". It was at that time that it dawned on me that I could read books for fun and not just for a project for school. I loved the book and finished it that night. It was the first book that got an emotional response out of me and thus started my reading obsession.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Dominguez (tattooedwriter) Hello everyone. I took lots of lit classes for college towards an English degree, which made me love the classics. I got away from them for awhile but recently started Lolita. Although it's a hard topic and despicable narrator, the writing is fantastic. I plan on sticking with the classics for awhile. I haven't read Of Mice and Men, but it's on my list!

message 6: by Luella (new)

Luella This was read by the club on 02/13. That discussion is here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.