Amazon Kindle discussion

Book Related Banter > Shunned for not swearing

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) Age hasn't - or shouldn't have - a thing to do with it. Your writing is your writing, and while your post sounds positively angry I cannot see why anyone would want to "push" you into purposefully using profanity in your work. If you are writing crime novels wit mobster characters, or use modern-day urban-dwelling teenagers as characters - for example - and everyone is talking like they're in an episode of "Leave It to Beaver", then yeah be forewarned you might lose some readers because those characters and situations might not seem very realistic or plausible to them in today's world ... but much like Hollywood of the 1930's and 1940's could easily entertain and even enlighten (often times more skillfully) via character and plot and good writing - as opposed to today, when nudity, sex and lots of big explosions or gore make a film a hit - you just write what you write, HOW you write, and you'll find an audience. No one else matters.

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan (jomarcho1) | 30 comments I knowingly try to avoid the F word as much as possible and will not read books that are laced with it. Thank you for your standards.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 18 comments I don't shy away from swearing, but I don't think it needs to be prevalent, unless it's the vice of a particular character. Other than that- you use it when appropriate. For instance- if your character is having a REALLY BAD DAY- "CRAP!!!" just doesn't cut it.