Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent question

Bad
Jaime Crossland Jaime Aug 22, 2015 06:31PM
The main problem is why do you need the test to "tell" you who you are if it's already been statistically established that 95% will test positive for there own faction...so, we don't need a "test" of blood with facts like that and you certainly DO NOT need the test if you get to choose regardless. Bad story line from the get go. Get's worse from there. How could a handicapped be born in Dauntless? Obviously, they can't be Dauntless later? How can an Mentally challenged choose Erudite?? Don't notice any aged or child Dauntless which that faction would kill itself off faster than they could recruit just out of how they run themselves,(no logic). Oh, geesh...so much wrong I cant' get passed to even get anything out of it. Tris' "choices" to resemble our own are worthless if it's all based on quicksand bullshit rules,(that change anyway...no rules), to begin with.

Kristen (last edited Aug 24, 2015 08:22PM ) Aug 22, 2015 09:00PM   1 vote
The test wasn't to tell them where they belonged, it was to tell them what their aptitude was for. It's not a bad concept. We use aptitude tests in the real world. They don't determine your future. You do. But they can be helpful in decision making. Particularly if it's an important decision.
But the test wasn't actually for the people who were choosing anyway. Its purpose was so that the government could keep tabs on the people because they wanted to find the divergent ones.

The handicapped and mentally ill would probably be taken care of like they are in reality - by their families. Mostly anyway. Dauntless might kill them off or send them out to fend for themselves. If they're competent enough to choose they would most likely go for Amity or Abnegation where they would be taken care of.

Also, I remember somewhere that it's pointed out that there aren't any older Dauntless because they either kill themselves, are killed off by someone else, or become factionless when they get too old to keep up.

Don't get me wrong. The series has problems, but these things aren't plot holes.

Nanina (last edited Aug 23, 2015 11:36AM ) Aug 23, 2015 11:35AM   0 votes
I agree with Kristen in that the problems you mentioned can be solved with a little creativity interpretation done by the reader but I think the issues you pointed out indicate a much bigger issue in the series: the system is far too simplistic. This isn't seen in the choice of factions as much as the role each faction has in society. I don't think you're talking about plot holes as much as just plain sloppy world building. The factions are just not complex enough to constitute a functioning society.

The people who can't find a place to belong, like the handicapped and elderly would probably just become factionless. And some dauntless become handicapped through accidents and sabotage and become factionless.

There are children in the dauntless, you just don't know where they are or how many there are. We don't know the birth rate in of dauntless, it might be high enough to compensate for those forced to leave or who died. The dauntless trainees were separated into groups of dauntless born and raised and non-dauntless born and trained separately, so you know there are children raised there. The writer just didn't fully expand on the world.

And the writer did give an explanation why there was no elderly in dauntless, some would become factionless, while others committed suicide because they could no longer fulfil their duties.

As for the test, it's similar to doing a test at school to see what career would suit you, to help you decide, but whatever the test shows, you can still choose to listen to it or ignore it. Plus, the test was also designed to keep an eye out for divergent. Plus, you're making a choice that would effect the rest of your life, unlike us, they don't really have a choice later to change their mind when they realise they don't suit it, they would be stuck with their decision so any test that might help them decide is helpful. The test was to help them choose, not to decide for them.

I don't really see the same problems as you do, I just think you've just misinterpreted a few things. The writer is just lacking a few details and world building.

The book does have a few minor problems, but it's still a great book. If you read the rest of the series some of the problems are fixed/explained. Really though, Divergent is just a great book written by a great author. This was her first book ever which is incredibly impressive. And @Kristen was right when she mentioned that the older Dauntless are kicked out. Even for the leaders.