Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Waiting game...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments So I just published my book! *Takes a bow.* Now, I'm waiting on the approval from both KDP and CreateSpace. What I'm wondering, is what should I be doing while I wait? I've got it on Twitter, Facebook and my blog. Is that enough, or should I be doing more??

message 2: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Congratulations, Shannon!!! That's so amazing! Give yourself a huge pat on the back and go out to dinner! (That's what I did six weeks ago when I published my first novel.)

1. Do you have an author website?

2. Do you have a Mail Chimp form to collect your readers' e-mail addresses, so you can develop a mailing list of your readers who are interested in know when your next books is coming out?

You need both of these things.

Best of luck to you!! :)

April

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments April wrote: "Congratulations, Shannon!!! That's so amazing! Give yourself a huge pat on the back and go out to dinner! (That's what I did six weeks ago when I published my first novel.)

1. Do you have an autho..."

Thank you! The new tradition is apparently to have tacos when you publish, so that's on the menu for tomorrow! 8-)

I hadn't even heard of mail chimp, but I'm about to check it out, so thank you very much! Good luck on YOUR book!

message 4: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Thanks, Shannon!

Mail Chimp is the (free) service that most people use to build their customer mailing lists. It's a really great service, and it's easy to use and can be very powerful if you use all the features they offer. They have a "free" level and a "professional" level. The "free" level is fine for us newbies. It's a must have for authors. Building a mailing list of interested readers is the CORNERSTONE of building your author brand. It's the key to success. Because when you release your second book and let your readers know, you'll have some instant purchases, which really gets the ball rolling.

April

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Tacos are definitely the best bet and you are in fact directly responsible for this tradition. ;p

You're doing great with Twitter so far! Make sure to post on the September newsletter thread so we can add your release there.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Christina wrote: "Tacos are definitely the best bet and you are in fact directly responsible for this tradition. ;p

You're doing great with Twitter so far! Make sure to post on the September newsletter thread so we..."

Ah, but it wasn't me who voted, or passed the motion! !-)
I'll check out the newsletter! Thanks!

message 7: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Did I hear Congratulatory Writer Tacos? Somebody should be celebrating themselves with a little carnes y vegetales! Congratulations, Shannon.

message 8: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Shannon, what's your Twitter handle? I'll follow you and help promote your new release.

Mine's @AprilWroteIt

April

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Igzy wrote: "Did I hear Congratulatory Writer Tacos? Somebody should be celebrating themselves with a little carnes y vegetales! Congratulations, Shannon."

Uh, if I knew what carnes y vegetables were...I'd probably still be ROTFL! 8-) Thank you!

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments April wrote: "Shannon, what's your Twitter handle? I'll follow you and help promote your new release.

Mine's @AprilWroteIt

April"

Hey! I just followed you. 8-) Mine's ShannonArtWrite, or just search for Shannon Reber. 8-) See you on there!

message 11: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Shannon! OMG! I was already following you! LOL

april

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments April wrote: "Shannon! OMG! I was already following you! LOL

april"

LOL, well now I feel sheepish! 8-)

message 13: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Shannon, we writers must stick together on Twitter. :)

April

message 14: by Sally Ann (new)

Sally Ann Sims | 25 comments Congratulations Shannon! Good luck with your publishing venture. I agree with April about the website and e-newsletter suggestions. Another suggestion to is to consider if you want to approach indie bookstores to stock your book. I've just started the bookstore piece with my book that came out in May 2015.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Emme (Lisa_Emme) | 212 comments Congrats Shannon. I'm in the same boat. My first book is now on pre-order. You're ahead of me having a Twitter account. I'm finding it enough just keeping up with GR, FB, Google+ and my blog.

message 16: by A. (new)

A. Russo (A_Russo) | 3 comments Congrats to both of you, that's exciting! I'm newly published too so I understand the anxiety - I spent my waiting period for KDP baking. I'm a stress-baker, so that's my recommendation. Five dozen muffins will pass the time. ;)

message 17: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Congrats Shannon and Lisa.

Shannon, is that for The Puppeteer? Amazing story btw :)

message 18: by Christopher (last edited Aug 25, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Christopher Paniccia | 2 comments Congrats to you both, it is wonderful to see people so excited about reading and writing! That is what inspired me to write my own book and publish it this summer. My book, "Gridiron Conspiracy," is a direct result of wanting to inspire my own students to love reading and writing. They in turn inspired me! Thank you for all the suggestions to help us Newbies!!