The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > READATHON - BREAK ONE - AUGUST 22ND

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 44200 comments Mod
Hi there - for those folks thinking about a brief break.

Tell us a little bit about the country, state, or island that you are from and what it makes it home for you. What makes your part of the world wonderful from your perspective?

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:29AM) (new)

Bentley here - originally from New England but call the Metro New York City home now.

Love the Big Apple - exciting, alive, full of energy and enthusiasm - from my perspective it has a uniqueness all of its own. Wonderful neighborhoods and a blending of every culture and nationality. A true melting pot.

Some of the iconic images of NYC:

Can you figure out the locations and names of the buildings, bridges, icons in the above images?

Add your own images from your country and state and let us get the party going. (smile)

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

The first one is of course the Brooklyn Bridge

Source: Wikipedia

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookly...

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 08:59AM) (new)

The second one is the Chrysler Building

http://www.tishmanspeyer.com/properti...

Source: Wikipedia and Tishman Speyer

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysle...

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Let us know about the place you call home and your icons.

message 6: by Jill (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:26AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The iconic New River Gorge Bridge in WV

(Source: netstate.com)

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Wow that is beautiful Jill - I love sharing icons. What is the elevation?

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The train up the Tygart Valley

(Source: Mountain Highlands.com)

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Wow gorgeous - did you see my question in 7? Curious that bridge is very high off the ground.

message 10: by Jill (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:34AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) It is only 876 feet over the Gorge,

And here is the picture that stirs the blood of every football fan in the state. The Pride of West Virginia (the WVU marching band) at the stadium during the first home game last year.

(Source: PrideofWV.com)

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Wow it seems even higher than that but still - oh and yes a very impressive marching band.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 180 comments Greetings from Toccoa, GA. We are a small town at the base of the southern Smoky Mountains. I live out in the country in a county that is surrounded on three sides by national and state forests, the Chattahoochi State and National Forest. I love the wildlife in this area. I have seen all kinds of wildlife from my back porch; deer, turkeys, Hawks, bear, wild boar, coyote, wolves. Last year, I saw a black panther walking through an orchard out back. There are not supposed to be any black panthers in the US, but a trail camera got a picture of it and it was published in our local paper.

message 13: by Glynn (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:39AM) (new)

Glynn | 214 comments Rocket launch on the space coast of Florida:
description
(Source: www.tbo.com)

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Kathy wrote: "Greetings from Toccoa, GA. We are a small town at the base of the southern Smoky Mountains. I live out in the country in a county that is surrounded on three sides by national and state forests, ..."

Wow that sounds like a wonderful spot that you are in - do you have photos of the panther from the newspaper - since I have a love of animals - I would love to see it.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

What an excellent photo and image Glynn - you have a birds eye view right from your spot on the globe (smile)

message 16: by Francie (last edited Aug 22, 2015 09:55AM) (new)

Francie Grice My city of Warner Robins was actually constructed to accommodate Robins Air Force Base back in the '40s. Before that it was little more than a railroad stop. Many military families end up retiring here, so it's become known as the International City. The base has a wonderful military museum (aerial picture below), which also has a replica of the Great Wall of China.

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:05AM) (new)

That is very interesting Francie - I see it now - where is the great wall of China replica - that is a little odd (smile) - been to the actual Great Wall in China and I have to say wow.

It must be a lovely town for folks in the military who want to actually retire there - that speaks volumes about how lovely the town must be.

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Croatia and your city of Zagreb look quite beautiful. A lovely country Samanta.

message 19: by Samanta (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Everything got erased. I actually took 10 minutes or more to present Zagreb to you. I'm going to go and vent some frustration. Anybody have a boxing bag? :(

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

What happened it looked beautiful - don't cry it was beautiful but I cannot understand what happened. Goodreads must have hiccuped

message 21: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) It posted double (which is not unsual, I'm used to it by now). I erased one (as usual) but the second post got deleted too. I'll just have to do it from scratch again. :(

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Oh dear. Do you think it got confused and erased them both? When you want another break - the thread is still here so no worries.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Oh no Samanta! I'm eager to see your post. My husband and I will be visiting your beautiful country for two weeks next summer. My family descends from Split and Dubrovnic - 3 sets of my great-grandparents. This will be my first visit and I'm sure it will be fabulous!

Iconic images from the Pacific Northwest coming soon.

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

We cannot wait and Samanta's photos were beautiful.

message 25: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments I'm from Oakland, California, home to the Oakland Museum of California:

But I'm living in Kuşadası, Turkey, with its eponymous Bird Island:

I'm not far from the ruins of Ephesus, with the famed Library of Celsus:

message 26: by Teri (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:29AM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) I come from SW Missouri but have landed in beautiful San Antonio, TX. I live just on the outskirts in Texas Hill Country, not far from some beautiful wineries and countrysides.

(Source: Love of Bikes)

message 27: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Ok, here we go again (take three, and hopefully the last)

Zagreb - the capital of the Republic of Croatia and the administrative, cultural and political centre of the country. It has 800 000 inhabitants within the city limits and 1 million within the County of Zagreb.

According to historical sources it was founded in the 11th century when a diocese of Catholic Church was established in the settlement of Kaptol (English: Capitol). On the other side of Kaptol there was another settlement, a free royal city, from the 13th century Gradec (literal translation "Small town"). Kaptol belonged belonged to the Catholic Church, while Gradec was a secular city with an abundance of manufacture. Due to economic reasons there was no love lost between the two towns and the border was a place of many bloody battles. Finally, in 1850, they decided to lay down their arms and unite into one city of Zagreb.

The main square in the night-time

aereal view of Kaptol with the cathedral

St. Mark's church in the Upper town of Gradec famous for the colorful roof

Croatian National Theatre of Zagreb, my personal favorite neo-baroque building from 1895, situated in the Lower town

"Novi Zagreb" - south part of Zagreb across the river Sava, built after the WWII (during Yugoslavia and comunism) with utilitarian architecture customary for the period and the regime

Zagreb Funicular, the oldest public transport in Zagreb (end of 19th century) and the shortest ride in Europe (only 66 m long) connects the Upper and the Lower town

Source: Google images

message 28: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Kristen wrote: "Oh no Samanta! I'm eager to see your post. My husband and I will be visiting your beautiful country for two weeks next summer. My family descends from Split and Dubrovnic - 3 sets of my great-gr..."

I've redone it so you can see it now. Be sure to come to Zagreb and let me know. I'd love to show the city to you.

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 10:31AM) (new)

Doris what beautiful photos and you are so close to such an ancient location. What a beautiful library even in its antiquity.

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Samanta - I love funicular railroads and transports (although this one is a short ride - smile). And your photos are beautiful.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Teri wrote: "I come from SW Missouri but have landed in beautiful San Antonio, TX. I live just on the outskirts in Texas Hill Country, not far from some beautiful wineries and countrysides.

"

How beautiful San Antonio is. Missouri is nice too.

message 32: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) Bentley wrote: "Samanta - I love funicular railroads and transports (although this one is a short ride - smile). And your photos are beautiful."

Thank you! :)

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Great pictures from all......we have such beauty in this old world of ours!!!

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Samanta wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Oh no Samanta! I'm eager to see your post. My husband and I will be visiting your beautiful country for two weeks next summer. My family descends from Split and Dubrovnic - 3 set..."

We plan to begin our trip in Zagreb, so we would LOVE to do that! Your pictures are fantastic; can't wait to see these sites in person.

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Sounds like a great meet up and all done through the readathon. Great way to bring the global community together

message 36: by Kristen (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:03PM) (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Indeed! Now for a peek at Camano Island, Washington, north of Seattle by about an hour or 1/3 of the way on up to Vancouver, BC.

Camano Island

We are in Puget Sound, so protected by the Olympic mountain range west and the Cascades close by to the east. Many active volcanoes around!

Cascades

Here is an example of our beaches and coves:

Camano Island Beaches

Lots of local wildlife around - eagles nesting all over the island and seeking their prey, deer, and killer whales (orcas) are common sightings.

Orca

I'm truly blessed and proud to call this home.

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

The photos are sort of narrow. And one has an image error. It sounds like a beautiful place.

message 38: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3833 comments Mod
Here's a picture of the University of California at Berkeley, where I studied math and met my husband. I've lived in Berkeley for over 50 years, it's a great place.

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 12:52PM) (new)

My cousin and her husband went to Berkeley - they met there too.

She and her family just came to visit a couple of weeks ago. Both are engineers

message 40: by Doris (new)

Doris (webgeekstress) | 143 comments Vicki wrote: "Here's a picture of the University of California at Berkeley, where I studied math and met my husband. I've lived in Berkeley for over 50 years, it's a great place.

"

I was a Math student at UC Berkeley, too. Nice to "meet" a fellow alumna.

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Bentley wrote: "The photos are sort of narrow. And one has an image error. It sounds like a beautiful place."

Ugh! have to redo the images but must wait for tech-savvy stepson to get home. :)

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

There you go - another discussion which brings folks together.

message 43: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That is OK Kristen - I look forward to seeing the photos

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments stepson to rescue: msg 36

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:09PM) (new)

Oh my goodness look at the Orca Whales so close to shore. What a display.

Really beautiful - no wonder you like living there. How much rain do you get?

Or being North of Seattle and protected by the mountains do you get less than Seattle for example receives

Also a special thank you to your step son.

message 46: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 66 comments Quite a bit less than Seattle, yes. We are in what's called the Olympic Rain Shadow. Seattle averages 38 inches of rain annually...Camano averages roughly 22 inches.

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2015 03:30PM) (new)

That is quite a bit less. In fact we average a lot more than that on the East Coast. Have you always been from Camano or did you move there from another part of the country?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.