Valancourt Books discussion

General Discussion > Need a recommendation?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Valancourt Books (last edited Jan 18, 2020 06:21AM) (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 829 comments Mod
For members of our Goodreads group:

If you'd like to read a Valancourt title but aren't sure which of our more than 300 titles to choose, we're happy to personally recommend one just for you, based on your Goodreads ratings and any other info you give us about what you do/don't like. Our horror & supernatural titles are our most popular, but we're also happy to recommend some of our literary or gay-interest offerings, or if you're into older books, we have many great old Gothic & Victorian novels too.

Feel free to comment below or send us a message and we'll help you pick out your next Valancourt title.

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Eller | 2 comments This is excellent! I have never heard of a publisher making such an offer!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Anthony wrote: "This is excellent! I have never heard of a publisher making such an offer!"

I have yet to read a book from Valancourt that I didn't love.... (and end up buying the paperback version as well, to add to my shelves...) ;)

message 4: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments Anthony, yeah they're pretty cool. :)

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattical) | 32 comments Valancourt Books is basically a pretty badass publisher :)

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Matthew wrote: "Valancourt Books is basically a pretty badass publisher :)"

I'm still discovering "new-to-me" authors that I now LOVE, through their releases. :)

message 7: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 80 comments My favorite publisher and I'm also always discovering authors that new to me!

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattical) | 32 comments Kimberly wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Valancourt Books is basically a pretty badass publisher :)"

I'm still discovering "new-to-me" authors that I now LOVE, through their releases. :)"

Same here! I'm still discovering new authors through Valancourt as well. They might as well be releasing brand new titles to me.

You are all too kind. Thank you!

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I know this the place for Valancourt to make recommendations, but if I may, their The Beetle: A Mystery is one I would definitely recommend. I had so much fun with it!

message 11: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments Damn. I bought that book last September. *sigh* Still haven't read it.

message 12: by Valancourt Books (new)

Feel free to make recs!

The Beetle is one of the few older titles I can recommend to just about anyone.

Char, there's this one scene... Make sure you're near a light switch. ;)

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments On the strength of that one, I bought his The Seen And The Unseen. I see much more Richard Marsh in my future.

message 14: by Char (new)

Char  | 320 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Feel free to make recs!

The Beetle is one of the few older titles I can recommend to just about anyone.

Char, there's this one scene... Make sure you're near a light switch. ;)"

*reaches over and moves book up in the TBR pile*

message 15: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 64 comments Loved The Beetle!

message 16: by Nancy (last edited Sep 03, 2015 04:34AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I started The Seen And The Unseen last night, and I'm loving it. The first two stories had me holding my breath. So naturally, I bought another Marsh book, Both Sides of the Veil. Valancourt, you can make personal recommendations for me any time.

message 17: by Valancourt Books (new)

description

For you, Nancy....

Since you're enjoying the Marsh titles, I think you'll love The Weird of Deadly Hollow by Bertram Mitford. Gerald Monsman wrote the introduction for this one and quite a few of our older titles like The Feast of Bacchus. He originally recommended both of those for us to reprint.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "

For you, Nancy....

Since you're enjoying the Marsh titles, I think you'll love The Weird of Deadly Hollow by Bertram Mitford. Gerald Monsman wrote the introduction for this one an..."

Oh my gosh, thank you! It will be great vacation reading!

message 19: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I've just finished The Witch and the Priest. I can't recommend it highly enough.

message 20: by Valancourt Books (new)

Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!!

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "I've just finished The Witch and the Priest. I can't recommend it highly enough."

That one is on my wish list--I'd better move it into the shopping cart phase soon... ;)

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike F | 2 comments I'd highly recommend Tenebrae by Ernest Hanhem. Great story, very creepy. An absolute gem.

message 23: by Valancourt Books (new)

Mike wrote: "I'd highly recommend Tenebrae by Ernest Hanhem. Great story, very creepy. An absolute gem."

Glad you enjoyed it! Perfect October reading.

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I've finished Fingers of Fear -- fun book with echoes of werewolves, ghostly spirits, secret passages and family secrets in an old house -- what more could you ask for?

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "I've finished Fingers of Fear -- fun book with echoes of werewolves, ghostly spirits, secret passages and family secrets in an old house -- what more could you ask for?"

I just got my paperback couple a short while ago! :D

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I'm trying to whittle down my favorite books of the year -- just wanted you to know that Harriet wins for crime fiction. From me, that's a huge deal because crime is my favorite genre.

message 27: by Valancourt Books (last edited Dec 07, 2015 06:55AM) (new)

Nancy wrote: "I'm trying to whittle down my favorite books of the year -- just wanted you to know that Harriet wins for crime fiction. From me, that's a huge deal because crime is my favorite genre."

That's great!! It really is an incredible and intense read. I enjoyed that one so much. I spent a lot of time reading up on the background of the case. Very disturbing!

message 28: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm trying to whittle down my favorite books of the year -- just wanted you to know that Harriet wins for crime fiction. From me, that's a huge deal because crime is m..."

It was absolutely great. It came down to that one and Tey's The Franchise Affair, which was also based on a disturbing true story.

This will sound really sappy (apologies), but I can't thank you enough for all the great books Valancourt has brought to my attention this year.

message 29: by Valancourt Books (new)

Thank you so much for that comment! Glad you're enjoying the releases. :)

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "Valancourt Books wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm trying to whittle down my favorite books of the year -- just wanted you to know that Harriet wins for crime fiction. From me, that's a hug..."

I will second Nancy's "Thank You"--what books I've originally read on kindle, I almost always end up buying your paperback versions to keep on my shelves. These are the kind of books that you KNOW you will be re-reading. That is saying a lot in today's world!

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I've just finished Marryat's The Blood of the Vampire. very, very dark novel, but anyone choosing to read it should go into it with no expectations whatsoever.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Reading THE STONES OF MUNCASTER CATHEDRAL by Robert Westall now--incredible! It really does remind me of an M.R. James' story! (He's one of my--if not THE--favorite for supernatural stories). I have one other Westall book I purchased from Valancourt earlier in the year that I may just have to read immediately after this one....

message 33: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I just discovered that Valancourt has an edition of Ethel Lina White's Wax, so I bought it from Book Depository. I thank you, Valancourt!

message 34: by Valancourt Books (new)

That was one of my favorite releases last year. The only book I think we'd bother publishing that we can't print in the US. ;)

message 35: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I can't wait.

message 36: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I've finished The Mummy after a long night of being unable to sleep. It was so much fun! Thanks again, Valancourt. Please, please please - many more like this one!

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "I've finished The Mummy after a long night of being unable to sleep. It was so much fun! Thanks again, Valancourt. Please, please please - many more like this one!"

I'm hoping to read that one next. :) My last was WICKED STEPMOTHER, which is one of my favorites from this year, already! (I ordered the paperback copy after reading the e-version).

message 38: by Valancourt Books (last edited Apr 10, 2016 02:23PM) (new)

Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!!

Very little info about the book is online but one blog mentioned it being the basis for Universal's The Mummy. I'm not sure where that came from but there's no connection between the two.

Don't expect Universal Horror, Kimberly. ;) Let me know how you like it. It's a fun one.

message 39: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!!

Very little info about the book is online but one blog mentioned it being the basis for Universal's The Mummy. I'm not sure where that came from but there's no connect..."

I saw that blog after I'd read the book, and said "what?" :)

message 40: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Nancy!!

Very little info about the book is online but one blog mentioned it being the basis for Universal's The Mummy. I'm not sure where that came from but there's no connect..."

Will do! :)

message 41: by Nancy (last edited Apr 10, 2016 02:29PM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Next up is the Baker (Stories of the Strange and Sinister), but I'm saving it for vacation.

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I started The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck yesterday - oh my god, it's amazing. So right up my weird reading alley.

message 43: by Valancourt Books (new)

There were several "what did I just read?" moments. Glad you're enjoying it!

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 363 comments Nancy wrote: "I started The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck yesterday - oh my god, it's amazing. So right up my weird reading alley."

Oh good--I have that one!!!!

message 45: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "There were several "what did I just read?" moments. Glad you're enjoying it!"

I actually started it over at one point because of those "what did I just read" moments -- I couldn't believe it. LOL

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments Kimberly wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I started The Cadaver of Gideon Wyck yesterday - oh my god, it's amazing. So right up my weird reading alley."

Oh good--I have that one!!!!"

It's one of the quirkiest books I've read in a while. You'll like it.

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 290 comments I'm loving The Unfortunate Fursey! When this one's over I'll be reading the sequel right away. Thanks for bringing it back to life.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 14 comments I been meaning to mention that I run a blog here on Goodreads and Pinterest and soon to be my website called Hundred Year Old Horror. It features books and authors from centuries past. Reason I'm mentioning it is because I have analyzed several books and authors from Valancourt Books. You can check out the thread here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 49: by Valancourt Books (new)

Great thread. Thanks for sharing!

message 50: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 14 comments Thanks! I'm almost at the end of my list so I'm going to dig deep for old horror books and look back on your site for some good ones.

« previous 1