Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

Discussion > SPOT ON: A perfect pairing of mediums.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments When the book and film/show are as good as each other or perfect companions to one another.

message 2: by Kerry (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:08AM) (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I think Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed by Cheryl strayed which recently was adapted into a film with Reese witherspoon was great and really good companions to each other. It seemed to cop alot of flack mainly from normal folks who fancy themselves critics (and hadn't even read the book which obviously as in most cases explains a hell of alot more in depth to the things and events which happen in the film). but i thought it was perfectly done. a few liberties such as condensing the amount of sexual activity into one big hallabalooza and such and discounting certain people she met on her adventure. but very good and the books essence was definitely felt in the film.

message 3: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Gone Girl has to be one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. But then again Flynn wrote the screen play too and stayed pretty true to her book.

message 4: by Kerry (last edited Aug 22, 2015 06:56PM) (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "Gone Girl has to be one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. But then again Flynn wrote the screen play too and stayed pretty true to her book."
I have seen the film and not read the book, it's a strange one that story, perhaps the book sheds a little more light on the central relationship (and subsequent actions/concequences- i would hope) The author at the helm of an adaptation probably is the reason for its success

message 5: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments Hester, that is a bulls-eye. They did an incredible job on the film. I was pretty worried because of how the book is set up, but they pulled it off really well. And, Carrie Coon nailed Go's role.

message 6: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments The Color Purple was equally great in film and print, also Gone Girl and The Book Theif.

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Looks like Gone Girl was really a good one!
I saw the film (not read the book) the film was ...'okay' but i think the book must be 'better' (in my case) or at least give more depth to the whole thing...

Color Purple , yes i will agree! and Book Thief....well I am 3/4 the way through the book and the film is ready to watch. I will say I have been tempted to just watch the film while i have been reading it because it's quite long and slightly tedious.

message 8: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments Kerry wrote: "Looks like Gone Girl was really a good one!
I saw the film (not read the book) the film was ...'okay' but i think the book must be 'better' (in my case) or at least give more depth to the whole thi..."

Kerry Dont you dare cheat!!! lol I will give you such a hard time about that lol.

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments kisha wrote: "Kerry wrote: "Looks like Gone Girl was really a good one!
I saw the film (not read the book) the film was ...'okay' but i think the book must be 'better' (in my case) or at least give more depth to..."

hahahaha!! :) I won't ...I promise. (Now I've said that I have to stick to it :)

message 10: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments Darn straight!

message 11: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Kerry wrote: "Looks like Gone Girl was really a good one!
I saw the film (not read the book) the film was ...'okay' but i think the book must be 'better' (in my case) or at least give more depth to the whole thi..."

I think if you read the book you'd realize what a truly outstanding job Fincher did, I was skeptical about Ben Affleck being cast as Nick but he really is Nick Dunne.

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Awesome, you know what- i will read it and give it a go :)

message 14: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I only saw the film the GREEN MILE (hard to take, left me very upset, my mom used to watch it alot, don't know how anyone can watch continuously)
Purple is the best and agree with you and Kisha, definite perfect pairing.Cuckoo's Nest is interesting- again my mom always liked the film. i went to watch it a few years ago and couldnt get into it, so i bought the book instead (sitting on my shelf ready to read....maybe a buddy read sometime?) so i'll have to check that out. Mockingbird is a classic

message 15: by B. P. (new)

B. P. Rinehart (ken_moten) | 7 comments I guess most plays fit this description, but Shakespeare in particular fits this description like nobody else in human history. I don't think there is a work of his that has not been adapted at least three times. Hell--works based on his work get adapted for the screen.

message 16: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

I thought HBO did a good job keeping the movie as close to the book as possible

message 17: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments Maya wrote: "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

I agree Maya!

message 18: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I GOT THE FILM .... LOL finally and will watch this weekend and also have the book ready to go. So great to hear positive things!

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kerry wrote: "I GOT THE FILM .... LOL finally and will watch this weekend and also have the book ready to go. So great to hear positive things!"

Enjoy!

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Just saw The Glass Castle The Glass Castle, and I was not disappointed. I love the book, and was so afraid the movie would be more serious. But I think they did a fine job. (I love how they included real footage and photos at the end.)

A LOT more in the book, but overall, not badly done. However, they made the mother out to be nicer in the movie (as I nearly hated the mom in the book).

message 21: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Leslie wrote: "Just saw The Glass Castle The Glass Castle, and I was not disappointed. I love the book, and was so afraid the movie would be more serious. But I think they did a fine job. (I love how ..."

I had this on my list. Thanks for posting. Moving up the list!

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hope you like it, Maya!

message 23: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I just saw the glass castle and enjoyed the film, I hear great things about the book but I'm not rushing to get it as I feel kind of annoyed that Jeanette and people in general seem to think it's romantic for eg that the dad 'had no money' so gave the kids stars as gifts. Yes that's romantic but the thing is he did have money and chose to spend it on his vices.
Perhaps I should read the book, it may settle my anger lol.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Kerry wrote: "I just saw the glass castle and enjoyed the film, I hear great things about the book but I'm not rushing to get it as I feel kind of annoyed that Jeanette and people in general seem to think it's r..."

I never thought that at all. I didn't find it "romantic" that the dad was that way -- I was so irritated with how irresponsible the parents were. (I hated the mom.) Actually, i found the book a bit humorous -- to me, it seems she uses that as a coping mechanism. Maybe I could just relate to her messed up life. I didn't think fondly of the parents at all... the movie doesn't depict how bad things actually were.