Bibliophilia discussion

General Chat > Books you like to re-read

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terese (new)

Terese Do you guys have any particular books just re-read every few years or more often? Books you just can't seem to get enough of? (even if you may take breaks in between reading them again)

I've been re-reading a lot of favorites lately, not sure what inspired it, but it's beenn great to get reaquainted with "old friends" so to speak :)

message 2: by sage, It's hot! Nearly Fahrenheit 451. (last edited Aug 25, 2015 01:50PM) (new)

sage | 254 comments Mod
I don't usually re-read books (unless they're 20 pages or less) because it isn't as amazing than when you read it the first time, but there's this one book I just love soooo much, that I've read it like 7 times. "Brain Jack" It inspired me to become a hacker... which isn't something you should say on a website so... *goes back and edits it*

Yeah, anyways... Unless I'm reading the second book in a series, then that's the only other time when I would go back and re-read the first book.

message 3: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Annabella | 706 comments Mod
Yes I do. They are mainly my childhood books, so pretty much my version of a security blanket.

Room 13
Whispering To Witches
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Sister
The Passage

message 4: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Anyone else have books which they like to re-read?

message 5: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee Dark Towers Boxed Set i.e. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

I discovered the series completely by accident (it caught my eye in a bookshop, a series of huge thick books to get my teeth into) and I would re-read it again and again!

I'm always so sad when I've nearly finished ... and losing characters makes me tear up, even though I know it's going to happen. (I sometimes go back a few chapters to bring them back again).

Luckily, the series is so long, it takes me a while to get through and there are always new things to discover and ponder / new connections to be made after reading other Stephen King books. The world is so engrossing and realistic that I want to use Dark Tower concepts and expressions in real life - but no-one else would understand.

It's a masterpiece.. and I'm conscious I've repeated this multiple times in various Goodreads messages over the past year ('Here she goes again!!) so sorry folks ... But then, I don't know anyone in the 'real world' who has actually read it.. I just need to pay a small tribute sometimes.

message 6: by Annerlee (last edited Dec 18, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Annerlee { ♛ } ;; sᴀɢᴇ wrote: "I don't usually re-read books (unless they're 20 pages or less) because it isn't as amazing than when you read it the first time, but there's this one book I just love soooo much,..."

Sounds like a great read sᴀɢᴇ. I've just finished Ready Player One and Brain Jack may well fill the void it left behind - if I can get hold of a copy before Christmas. It's going on my TBR list.

message 7: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

What is the dark tower series about?

message 8: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee Annabella wrote: "What is the dark tower series about?"
Where to start..?

The Dark Tower is a series of seven volumes, written by Stephen King over a period of 30 years. It basically follows the quest of gunslinger Roland Deschain on his quest to find the legendary dark tower. The series is an opus on a massive scale - it's Lord of the Rings meets spaghetti western meets the knights of the round table, with elements of horror, fantasy, wisdom, humour, time travel, ... there's even some Wizard of Oz and romance in the mix... It explores fantasy vs reality and sucks you in until you're no longer sure which is which. It introduces whole new worlds, philosophies, codexes, vocabulary, history.. a band of characters from 'real' and 'fantastic' worlds racing to save everything we know and love. It feels like an 'insight' into Steven King reality on which the 'lesser realities' of his other books are based. Once you've read the series, you will find so many references to it's imagery in King's other works... and every time I re-read it I discover links to something new within and without the series. If you're a Stephen King fan, you are missing out on sooo much if you haven't read this. It's King at his peak... a masterpiece..
Just be aware, Book 1 is hard going at first read, just because there's so much you don't know yet. Persevere and you won't regret it . (Just my humble opinion - obviously)

message 9: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (last edited Jan 06, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

I haven't read much of Stephen King. I gave it a go once, but I found that he went off track and was on about something else rather the the story.

I am not sure if I should give his books another go. I always watch the mini movies and tv series based his books and wish I actually read them, then I remember my experiences with the Tommyknockers - I skipped so much just so I could get back to the story.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Hi, I have just joined your group. There are so many books, but I like to reread certain books every few years or so: Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, the David Eddings fantasy series and I have reread The Lord of the Rings for the fourth and last time. I'm a grandma now so I'm sure I'll be rereading a lot of children's books soon.

message 11: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee I love reading books to children - it makes the sories come alive again

message 12: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Patman | 3 comments children's books yes! I'm just going to start Re reading harry potter, well soon I will haha. Probably the book I've read over and over again, and have yet to get bored of, is Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Probably one of my absolute favourites!

message 13: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Hi, I have just joined your group. There are so many books, but I like to reread certain books every few years or so: Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, the David Eddings fantasy series and I ..."

How old are you grandchildren? My nanna used to tell me and my sister bedtime stories.

message 14: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Annerlee wrote: "I love reading books to children - it makes the sories come alive again"

I used to read stories to my brother and he used to be so mesmerised by the story, to the point he believed it was real. It was so cute.

message 15: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Charlie wrote: "children's books yes! I'm just going to start Re reading harry potter, well soon I will haha. Probably the book I've read over and over again, and have yet to get bored of, is Terry Pratchett's Goo..."

Why not join our harry potter thread when you re-read them?

I haven't read Good Omens, what is it about?

message 16: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie My grandson is five years old and obsessed with Lego and Superheroes. My daughter, his mom, works in a library and does children's programmes, including storytime and toddler time, as well as crafts with older kids. Toronto
Public Library has 100 branches, and she works at one called the Yorkville branch in downtown Toronto.

message 17: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

My brother loves superheroes. More like obsessed with them. Do you ever help out?

message 18: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Is there a group rereading the Harry Potters? I'm reading way too many books right now but I can always make time for Harry Potter. My younger daughter used to work for a major bookstore chain in Canada, Indigo books, and when the Harry Potter books were just released the store would be open at midnight so people could get their books right away. For one bookr release they brought in some animals related to HP, an owl and a snake were two of them.

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie I help out by looking after my grandson,Flint, two days a week and the other Grandma has him two days. Jennifer has Fridays off. Before he started kindergarden we used to play superheroes a lot. He was superman and I was wonderwoman. It was fun.

message 20: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Is there a group rereading the Harry Potters? I'm reading way too many books right now but I can always make time for Harry Potter. My younger daughter used to work for a major bookstore chain in C..."

It is a discussion within out group

Link - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Our bookstore are the same over here. When there is a major book release, it goes crazy!

message 21: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I help out by looking after my grandson,Flint, two days a week and the other Grandma has him two days. Jennifer has Fridays off. Before he started kindergarden we used to play superheroes a lot. He..."

That is really sweet. My brother has to be Ironman.

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Lately we have been watching The Spectacular Spiderman animated series. We both like the music. His favourite villain is Venom.

message 23: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Lately we have been watching The Spectacular Spiderman animated series. We both like the music. His favourite villain is Venom."

The last time I saw my brother we watched all of the Avengers films back to back.

He isn't really into Spiderman, but he never really got the chance to watch the films.

message 24: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Do you find you watch the same thing over and over? I think I have seen Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc and Madagasgar 20 times each! How old is your brother?

message 25: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Patman | 3 comments Oh I will definitely join that thread!

Good Omens is all about the apocalypse, but written with that comical and fantastical view that Terry Pratchett always wrote with! It's all set as if it's happening around us, these biblical figures and the likes, but modernised. Supernatural (the TV programme) is probably a slightly more serious (am I actually saying that) take on it at times.

message 26: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Do you find you watch the same thing over and over? I think I have seen Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc and Madagasgar 20 times each! How old is your brother?"

It's the Avengers. I have to watch all of them, including Ironman when I go to see him.

message 27: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Charlie wrote: "Oh I will definitely join that thread!

Good Omens is all about the apocalypse, but written with that comical and fantastical view that Terry Pratchett always wrote with! It's all set as if it's h..."

Oh I see. Interesting, I am going to have to look at that book.

message 28: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Which Terry Prachett book would you recommend if you have never read any
Pratchett books before?

message 29: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

The Disc World series is always recommended by people. But there are loads of books in that series.

message 30: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Thanks, Annabella

message 31: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Thanks, Annabella"

No problem =)

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie I like to reread Agatha Christie mysteries after a suitable time lapse. I also like rereading classics and childhood favourites like the books of Lucy Maud Montgomery, among others.

message 33: by Annabella, Gone through The Passage.... (new)

I love reading my childhood books. It makes me smile when I think of myself reading it for the first time.

message 34: by Rosemarie (last edited Jan 27, 2017 08:25PM) (new)

Rosemarie I just reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It is hard to believe it was published 20 years ago. It is just as good now as it was then.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I have only ever reread "Where the Red Fern Grows." My T.B.R. List is just too long to read through a book again! But I'm thinking I should re-visit some Children's Classics soon, to share with my daughter.

message 36: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie I have been rereading children's classics, and reading some for the first time.
I recently reread The Secret Garden and working my way through The Little House on the Prairie series.